PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT.. Bix Centenary

Terry Porritt
09-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Leon Bix Beiderbecke, born 10 March 1903, Jazz Genius from Davenport, Iowa, USA, died 6 August 1931, New York City, New York, USA.

Arguably the greatest jazz cornetist of all time, and together with Louis Armstrong one of the greatest innovators in jazz.

http://www.bixbeiderbecke.com

Susan B
09-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Hi Terry :-)

You have often mentioned your passion for Bix's music and I keep meaning to find some samples to listen to myself. Whereabouts can I get hold of some? From Kazaa? The "Sound Files" on that site does not have a link to anything and I am sure you would know of the best place for me to go.

Who knows? I might become a fan too! ;-)

Terry Porritt
09-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi Susan,
There is hours of Bix music on the website above, The Jim Grover's radio program series has about 15 hours and the WBIX "Radio on Demand" but not all Bix, has 81 programs each about 45 minutes.

As an introduction there is an audio file of about 13 minutes, "Peter Lesleys Close Up on Bix Beiderbecke" a BBC program. The quality is not good I recorded this on a old el cheapo reel to reel in 1961.

Its all in Real Audio format.

Enjoy

Baldy
09-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Hi Terry,

Do you remember a drama series on TV a good 10 years ago (think it was a BBC production) where the central charachter was a Bix fanatic.

The music was fantastic!

BALDY:-)

Terry Porritt
09-03-2003, 10:29 AM
That's right, I'd forgotten, it was called the Beiderbecke Affair, but cant remember who played the leading roles. Nothing really much to do with Bix though. :)

Susan B
09-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks Terry, did not think to look there. Will have a look later -- going off dirt bike riding now. Hopefully I will not do a spectacular bail like last time. :|

Dyan
09-03-2003, 10:59 AM
James Bolam (When the Boat Comes In, amongst others...) played the lead role, and Barbara Flynn was the dame....

Dyan

Dyan
09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
... oops, afterthought... I see you live in Upper Hutt - for local flavour check out Wellington jazz sextet C L Bob, for innovative jazz groove terrorism... very respected musicians and won Best Jazz Album in last year's Tui awards. More than highly recommended.

Dyan