PDA

View Full Version : List v Detail (A windoze problem)

E.ric
09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
When ever I go to open a file (or save one) this little periscope window pops up, the files are in "list" format, (they only give file names) and they scroll across horizontally, each time you click.

I am forever clicking the "detail" (to see file name, file size, file date.) button, this make me scroll vertical and makes me think I can find my file I am after faster, as you don't have to click all the "X" time,

How does one make it to default to "detail" instead of "list"

By the way if you get sick of the periscope window you can place your mouse on the side or bottom edge, right click, and drag it to make it bigger, it appears not a lot of people know that.

WJMMSFEE

Terry Porritt
09-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Well in Win98, you go to Folder Options-View, and I have "Show all files", "Remember each folders view settings", and "Show file attributes in Detail View" all checked. Then it should do what you want. I dont know about XP if thats what you are using, but it is probably much the same.

Cheers

Susan B
09-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Yes, that is how you do it Terry, but in my Win 98 those settings never seemed to stick for long, which I think is E.ric's gripe. Thankfully they do stick in Win XP.

What version of Windoze are you using E.ric?

E.ric
09-03-2003, 02:27 PM
> Well in Win98, you go to Folder Options-View, and I
> have "Show all files", "Remember each folders view
> settings", and "Show file attributes in Detail View"
> all checked.

It is Windoze 98 and the above setting has been done as much as I can.

Heather P
09-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Go tinker with the setup till you get it right then click on Tools; Folder Options; View and click the button "Like Current Folder". Then it should stick.

E.ric
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I did not think I would get a answer to the problem.

Terry Porritt
10-03-2003, 08:05 AM
It is really odd, mine stick ok, but whats been done to do that I dont know. Id've thought Heathers tip would have worked to make all folders look the same. It seems to be a common problem.

E.ric
10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Just to save confusion on what I ask, have a look here. (http://www.oh-bugger.net.nz/notAGAIN.png)

Oh must go.

Terry Porritt
10-03-2003, 10:35 AM
I may be not quite with it Eric, but when opening a folder in IE what you show in the screen shot is what is supposed to happen surely ?:|
One button is for List and the other is for Details. If you have the option turned on, when you hover the cursor over the buttons it tells you that.

I think everyone thought you meant when you open a folder in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

Heather P
10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Answer was for Windows Explorer. Don't know if there is an answer for Internet Explorer.

E.ric
18-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Just to
save confusion on what I ask, have a look here.
(http://www.oh-bugger.net.nz/notAGAIN.png)

Did anybody find a answer?

Terry Porritt
18-03-2003, 08:15 AM
There isnt an answer, as I said, when you open a folder with IE that is exactly what you get as regards size of window and one button for details and one button for list. The buttons dont change or default, thats what they are. Sorry but thats how it is :)

E.ric
18-03-2003, 08:55 AM
I was hoping you could get in with regedit and fix it up.

I notice windoze has the amazing ability to read the operator mind and then do something opposite to piss you off.

cicero
18-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Until something better comes along we must press on.The permutations that can happen must be a nightmare for poor old Bill.