PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on this 2 ADSL modem

jtcc
08-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone, I am going to get a ADSL modem with switch/router/firewall/modem all in one. I found 2 product here, one is the D-Link 504, and the other one is the Dynalink RTA300. Can someone tell me which one is the best, or you can suggest me a better product.

Thank you for your time.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
08-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Hello,

I would not recommend either of these models. Dynalink because I would never trust them. They have had many product recalls before. I do like the D-Link, but I would very much suggest that you go for the D-Link DSL-500 which is getting quite cheap now, it is exactly the same as 504 except no hub, so basically:

D-Link DSL 500 + HUB = Less that DSL- 504

Having a serperate hub also means that you can use it seperately when you want to. More advantages than disadvantages! :D

Hope it helps,

Murray P
09-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Hi

I agree with sy. Go for a modem (with ethernet uplink port) with a separate 10/100 ethernet switch. They cost $65-85 for an ok one and provide you with more flexability, with a modem at around $180-250 its still cheaper than the better combined modem/hub. Unless you want to go wireless (a port is still handy tho).

Get on the web and check out some reviews. You could start with http://www.nzadsl.co.nz/ and this is a good site http://www.wown.com/ for general netwoking and internet connections.

HTH

Cheers

Murray P

sc0ut
09-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Maybe a bit harsh but Iím not one to compare (Iíve only had 1 ADSL router "Dynalink RTA210" no problems so far)
What I was going to say was
I would use a software firewall program because they have more options, you can see that is happening and may people believe it to be far more secure

Murray P
09-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Watching the cricket sc0ut or not tired tonight ;)

Susan B
09-03-2003, 10:07 AM
> Watching the cricket sc0ut or not tired tonight

I would say that scout would have been "working". ;-)

John H
09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Well, at the risk of contradicting everyone (what do I know anyway?), I have swapped over from a Nokia Ni500 and switch and software firewall, to a Dynalink RTA300 ADSL router.

The advantages
- one less power supply on the crowded junction box
- more desktop space through losing the switch
- the whole set up looks neater and "more professional"
- the RTA300 runs much, much cooler than the Ni500
- web based interface for set up - the Nokia was MUCH less intuitive
- seems faster than the Nokia
- has a hardware firewall.

The disadvantages
- ? None yet.

I also have a Wireless Access Point so I can use my PC in the office, and family can use the laptop elsewhere in the house with both of us accessing the net and the same shared printer. If I was to start again, I would buy the RTA300W, which also includes a Wireless Access Point - this would have been cheaper than buying the router and WAP separately, and would get rid of one more brick from the junction box and free up yet another chunk of desktop real estate. However, I already had the WAP and it was too expensive to junk just for those reasons...

If you do buy the RTA300, the trick to setting it up (not explained in the instructions) is that your user name is not just the user name you use for your ISP. It needs to include your whole email address. Some ISPs (at least two that I know of) require you to include something like "dsl" in front of your isp name - ie freddy@dslXXX.net.nz XXX being the name of your ISP. Check it out with your ISP.

I still use the software firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall, which is free) as well as the Medium firewall setting on the router. According to an online test, all ports are rated "Stealth".

Not sure if the software firewall is necessary - I am not sure yet whether the router firewall just stops intrusions from outside, or whether it also stops unauthorised programmes on the PC from accessing the net when I don't want them to. The software firewall certainly does that.

Hope that helps
John

Big John
09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
I went for a Vigor 2600 but had to get it sent to me from Holland because they would not deal with anyone out of the country.

However Dynalink has been good for me. Sure they had a product recall due to a faulty cap in the RTA210 but they handled that well. They have handled any questions fast and their support is A1.

Billy T
09-03-2003, 12:18 PM
John H

Sounds like your set up works well but I use a Nokia Ni500 and have a few quick queries:

1) Setup. That took all of 2 minutes using the Nokia CD, did I miss something?

2) Security. I thought the NAT capability of the Ni500 was effectively a hardware firewall, but I supplement it with ZA anyway. Again. did I miss something?

3) Temperature. Was yours the blue cased Ni500? I started with that but (on request) Nokia swapped then over to a black case/clear front version that runs much cooler. It now gets just warm enough to know it is switched on, the earlier version even smelled hot. :O

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

John H
09-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi Billy T

> 1) Setup. That took all of 2 minutes using the Nokia CD, did I miss something?

I bought the Nokia when there was a special deal on which got you free Telecom installation, up to three filters for nix, and a little man who came around and set the whole thing up. He was an "expert" at this kind of thing.

Three Nokia Ni500's and about a week later, he finally got one to work. There must have been a bad batch, because the serial numbers of the first two were in the same series whereas the one that worked was not. Anyway, he took about an hour to get it connected and working. I did not set it up - I am afraid I have assumed from all of his sweating and cursing that it wasn't easy!

Incidentally (and this may have been a miscalculation on his part) he did not use the CD. He used his laptop, because he claimed that he had set up something there that would do it properly and more easily. Hmmmm.

>2) Security.

Sorry, pass - I was told that the Ni1122 (hope that is right - the next model up) had all the whoopdedoo firewall capabilities, but not the Ni500. I may have been misinformed.

>3) Temperature.

No, mine was the black jobbie with the clear front that replaced the model that burned itself up. It does get much hotter than the RTA300. And I mean appreciably hotter. The RTA300 is barely above room temp, and it has been turned on for days, and used quite extensively today. Maybe the heating of the Ni500 is nothing to be nervous about - once set up it has never flinched, but I do prefer cool componentry for some strange reason. :-)

John

sc0ut
09-03-2003, 01:33 PM
> Watching the cricket sc0ut or not tired tonight
working on my stupid ASP shopping cart X-(
dam thing giving me so much greaf :-(

Murray P
09-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Ahh!! I'm not sure it was worth staying up anyway. It seemed like the right idea at the time, now, I'm not so sure?? Coffee jitters :| Hope you made progress.

Cheers

Murray P

Dynalink RTA210 Router, 8 port 10/100 N-Way switch, win2k pro & win98. Been networked and sharing net for 2 weeks so, still very fresh re this topic. No prob's with hardware though, only operator error and a poorly crimped rj45 plug which was down to me as well :8}

Billy T
09-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Thanks John

Sounds like the "expert" used a telnet connection to the router serial port to set it up. Big mistake. :D

Re security, the Ni500 is a router so it offers NAT security. Still, for all that your replacement setup sounds very elegant, and it works well and reliably for you.

What more could you ask?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

John H
09-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Yes Billy, you are right - I remember now that he did use telnet. Wonder why he didn't do the obvious and use the manufacturer's CD?

The RTA300 is certainly easy to set up by using its web browser interface. Apparently the web browser interface is the "go" now with a number of manufacturers. Only the user name caused a hassle until nz_liam gave me the clue on that one.

I didn't realise that I already had security with the Ni500. Thanks - I will pass that on to the person who has borrowed it with a view to purchase.

And yes, the set up does look quite elegant with a minimalist presence! If only I had the RTA300W version, it would be even simpler and get rid of yet another brick!

I have just learned how to let my wife connect to her school First Class server via the laptop WAN. I had to write a rule for the firewall allowing the inwards and outwards traffic... One day I will be able to drive this thing! Shortly before death probably.

Cheers
John

Big John
09-03-2003, 05:59 PM
> Re security, the Ni500 is a router so it offers NAT
> security. Still, for all that your replacement setup
> sounds very elegant, and it works well and reliably
> for you.

You could use Wingate for that if you wanted but NAT is not that sucure. Still leaves you open. The Dynalink one offers a proper firewall inside it as well as NAT.

Billy T
09-03-2003, 06:35 PM
> Wonder why he didn't do the obvious and
> use the manufacturer's CD?

D'oh, he should've RTFM, it was only half a page too.

Some people are just too clever for their own good.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Misty
09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Yesterday I bought a Dynalink external modem which is a different model to the ones mentioned - it is a ALE070. Since no-one has mentioned it as a possibility I am a bit concerned ! Though I am going to be using it on Jetstream starter which will be a lot slower than most of the pros on PressF1. Any comments on ALE070 ?
:|

Murray P
09-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Its USB isn't Misty? While the other ones mentioned are ethernet, requiring a lan card to connect it to the computer or wireless (access point), WAP. They can be networked with other computers so they can share the DSL connection.

If you have an RJ45 (looks something like a telephone socket) ethernet/lan uplink connection on the ALE070 you could also network yours if you wish or you could install a network card on the connected computer and use a programm such as MS ISC to share the connection. Not sure how this is done though if the modem is USB.

I've got Paradise Jetstart. Suits me fine for the mo and is cheaper. Not qualified to comment as a PF1 pro tho.

Cheers :)

Murray P

bk T
09-03-2003, 10:55 PM
I'm using a Ni500 with the black box, too. Temperature, - well, it is just comfortably warm enough. Setting up is a breeze with the CD! Unfortunately, the CD doesn't support XP OS. Alternatively, we can hook it to a W2K machine to configure the router and then connect it back to the XP box.

I've been using it for almost 2 years now and it is working fine as it should.

Billy T
10-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi BK

I wouldn't have thought the CD would be OS dependent as the Ni500 does not need any software on your computer to run. All the CD does is set up your ISP details in the router. Once done, you can connect it to any computer and provided you set the box up to connect via LAN it will just work.

I set mine up originally on a W98 box, then added three more computers via a hub. It tokk just a few minutes to set each one up and doesn't need the CD.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)