PDA

View Full Version : Favourites Folder sorts backwards !

Digby
08-03-2003, 09:26 AM
When I go to open a file using Word or Excel the files in my favourites folder are always sorted from Z to A, ie in descending order.

How can I put them back to A to Z permanently ?

roofus
08-03-2003, 10:46 AM
I had a problem recently where my folders were doing that and they wouldn't revert to normal.
What i did, was change to the "detail view" then sort by name
then go into tools and save this setting for all folders, then reverting back to the view that you like (for me this was list view)
then it should work,
or you could just sort by name and see if that works (as thats normally how you'd do it) (rightclick)

Graham L
08-03-2003, 02:00 PM
But it's sorting by name for him now. Just backwards. :D

Digby
09-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks Graham,

As I said it is only my favourites folder when viewed with the Open File option from Word or Excel where it sorts files and folders backwards.

I am using ME and Office XP.

If I change the view of the files from within the Open Dialogue box, there is no way to Save the settings permanently on the dialogue box.

I don't know what I did to make it do this.

Heather P
09-03-2003, 01:07 PM
I have a similar problem with several Adobe programs at work - sorts by date created. Never had time to try to find a fix so have had to live with it.

The easy option of changing settings in Windows Explorer didn't work because it behaves in there.

Anyone know a registry setting where this is set?

Graham L
09-03-2003, 02:09 PM
When you select the field you want to sort on (Name, size, Date, etc) clicking on the fieldname toggles between ascending and descending order. Perhaps double clicking by accident happens. :D

Digby
09-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks Heather.

I am glad someone else has the problem. (though I am sorry it is you !)

As you say there must be some registry setting to fix it.

Does anyone know of a registry setting for this ?

Susan B
09-03-2003, 04:37 PM
How are your Favorites sorted in your Start menu folder and in the Favorites folder in Internet Explorer? Are they sorted the correct way in there?

Might not make any difference, but could be worth looking.

Digby
10-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Susan,

They are sorted correctly in my Internet Favourites folder.

I still say there must be a registry setting or at least an option somewhere in Office that I have missed.

oldfart
11-03-2003, 11:20 AM
This page tells you how you can sort your Favourites menu by adjusting your registry settings—it’s a site well worth a look at for other registry tweaks winguides (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1030/)

Cheers oldfart

Digby
11-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks old Fart.

I have just had a quick look at the site you advised me about.

However it is not my Favourites Menu that is the problem.

It is the files I am presented with with I go to open a file in Word or Excel. I have set them both to open up folders and files under my Windows/Favourites folder.

Just for interest if I go into Explorer then browse to Windows\Favourites the sub folders and files are sorted form A to Z !