PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 advertising

Baldy
07-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Is there any way of turning off the PressF1 advertising (the banner, and the opne down the side.

I know the ads off by heart, and am getting sick of waiting for PressF1 to open - when I am downloading that is.

Will a PopUp Stopper fix the problem, and if so, which one?

BALDY:-)

Graham L
07-03-2003, 06:55 PM
What advertising?

:D

We've been here before. At length. To save Bruce or someone else explaining the facts of life to you, I will.

It costs money to run this forum. Advertising covers some of that cost.

No advertising, no forum.

Baldy
07-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah I know all that Graham, I'm not particularly dim LOL. I know that the ads pay for the forum, but sometimes on my antiquated dialup, it takes forever to load the page.

Besides, I know the ads off by heart. It would be good to disable them every now and again when I am downloading. Don't think that would make the multi-national publishers IDG go bankrupt LOL

cyberchuck
07-03-2003, 07:18 PM
You could try Phoenix. Look around some of the recent threads or ask Chilling_Silence. He put me onto it and it's an excellent program. Based on Mozilla it can block popups, ads, etc! It's great :D

The only problem is that some of those ads to the left of the window are done in Flash supposedly so Phoenix won't block them as it doesn't realize it's advertising. Also, on the very rare occasion it crashes (very rare!) it doesn't take down Explorer with it! an added bonus!

However I'd personally reccomend it!

-=JM=-
07-03-2003, 07:34 PM
You could always just turn off images all together :D

There are ways to remove the adverts. But really one should display the adverts. Here isn't really the best place to discuss how to remove them.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the forums before though.

Clueless
07-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Baldy,

You just increase your temp internet files/cache size so that the browser remembers the adds you've seen before. It seems like you are wasting alot of bandwidth reloading the same old same old, and not just the ads either. Mine just pops up infront of me usually, and i'm allways downloading so much on the other computer that i don't have a surfing advantage dispite my faster connection.

.Clueless

csinclair83
07-03-2003, 08:54 PM
how do u turn off images?
i'm on 56k modem and my most regularly visited website lately is the cricket world cup and that website is heavly graphic..and i dont want the pics...just text..
so yeah...how do i turn it off?

winxp user...on ie6..

somebody
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Ads? What Ads? For some reason, the ads which supposably exist don't show up on my computer.

Trev0
08-03-2003, 08:41 AM
I don't see any ads either (which might be something to do with the host file), but the top red bar does take far too long to load! I wonder if it could be made to be more customer friendly (ie, load quicker!) some sites load in a flash...

Clueless
08-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Some sites have no content. This makes them load fast.
Some sites have the same pics as last time. This too makes them load fast. PF1 is largely dynamicly produced, so all content is fresh. Do you really want to see that changed?

.Clueless

Graham L
08-03-2003, 02:41 PM
And Baldy is slowing himself down by doing two things at once. Downloading (possibly using one of the "clever" download programmes which runs multiple sessions on the hosts --- " to speed things up") and doing an interactive forum session shares (not multiplies) the available bandwidth. It's going to be slow.

If you want the fastest interactive sessions, do only that. If you want downloads to go fast, do downloads.

Trev0
08-03-2003, 05:59 PM
I've just had a look at trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/) again and it loads all the info I want to look at instantaneously ad then continues to load the rest, I'm not sure if all the links work straight away but I can read them at least! surely press f1, being a computer related site, could perform as well as a bartering site?
The content is excellent but page the set-up is poor...

(not trying to offend, but being an objective 56K'er)

Clueless
08-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Trev0,
Dynamicly produced pages means that the page is actually made for us according to information on a huge evergrowing data base. When we post we are modifing the database. When we view we are just asking the server to make up a page of whatever it is we request. These actions can take a moment or 2.
From what i can see of the trademe site, i suspect it is static HTML, in other words the pages are made well in advance, and are already on the server just waiting for us to have a sqiz at them.

You may have noticed that sometimes when the PF1 server has had its flakey moments only some parts of a page is made?

I'm on cable, and when i'm not actually downloading anything else as well, i can sometimes watch the PF1 pages load table by table, particually when it is a buzy time. The adds are often in long before the page has even finished loading.

If we want a faster server, lets see whose willing to chip in to raise a couple of grand so IDG can get a faster PF1 server? I can see every running to the hills as a post. :D

.Clueless

Kibito
08-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Baldy I understand your annoyance. We are all aware you have seen the ads countless times but do you not stop to think what would happen if people who could click on these ads and thus gain IDG some revenue, happened to see this thread, with instructions on how to disable ads, and disabled them? There is never an easy answer to any question friend. But when in search of it. Always be weary of the full picture.

For Only then will you be able to understand the responses and reactions of those around you.

Trev0
08-03-2003, 08:22 PM
I have to say I'm completely ignorant of how pages are made up and how they run, but I did think that IDG was MUCH bigger than a couple of grand to be worth anything (if that's wat it's all about), against all of us who buy PCworld (advertising and looking after customer wise).
I have put up with waiting 'moment or 2' for every page to load for a while now and I will continue to do so, but would prefer this site to be like most others, loading wise.
clueless, I doubt you're conception of 'slow page loading' is the same as us 56'ers (in the country) is but since I don't have cable I guess I wouldn't know.

But what about loading the threads first? is that an option??

Trev

Clueless
08-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Trev0,
Most of the time i'm downloading so much in the "background" that surfing the net is EXACTLY like a slow modem connection. It is bloody marvelous when nothing is coming in, and things speed up! This is the sacrifice i make for d/loading 10 or so Gig/month.

Remember IDG had to restructure and lose IMAG not that long ago. Sure the scale they work at is larger than you or i might, but by the same token PF1 is just one small thing they do. We are bloody lucky to have this resource. I am personally rather grateful.

.Clueless

somebody
08-03-2003, 09:01 PM
I agree. PF1 is an exceptionally good resource for computer users. I myself sometimes need help with computer issues I come up with, and the kind community on PF1 usually answer the questions very quickly.

Let's just be grateful that PF1 doesn't have any popups, and be satisfied at that.

Kibito
08-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Only bad thing about PF1. Not about PF1 itself but a down side. Is that sometimes you can post a query, and like 10 get posted after yours and urs is never seen. Happens quite a bit. Lot of poeple have computer queries these days.

tweak\'e
08-03-2003, 09:51 PM
>Is that sometimes you can post a query, and like 10 get posted after yours and urs is never seen.

???? can't people look down the page or something? or is the default display settings is still a pathitic 15.......mmmmmm BRUCE ! ! ! where are you hiding !! i supose a lot of people don't think to lok on the next couple of page. owell you can always <bump> a post back to the top if need be.

Trev0
08-03-2003, 10:22 PM
I'm rather grateful too, to the press f1 team for their commitment to the site. I've browsed here countless times , fixed problems on my comp via more learned comp literate people (including you clueless) and learned new stuff just by reading other threads. That isn't the issue

If it loaded in a flash, it would be just icing on the cake...and how sweet that icing would be...

Kibito, go to guest settings and change the figures to 50 and watch for the red dots!

Trev

Trev0
08-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Ps. If you're interested, it takes my comp around 30 seconds to load any page here on pf1, does that make each page around 300kb's ??

Trev

Clueless
08-03-2003, 10:53 PM
?:|
Ok last post before i hit the hay.

I have questions for you Trev0

:D
1/ What speed does your modem ACTUALLY connect at?

If you say 56K, i'll know your modem is lying.
Check the little modem icon in the tray, it should say "connected at 40,000Kb/sec" or something

2/ What is the data thoughput rate as you load the page?

I'm buzy downloading in the background, so when i loaded this page i only moved it in at 2 or 3 KB/sec tops. This figure should show in the bottom of the browser window as you load a page.. well it does in Konqueror, and i seem to remember something like that last time i used IE. It still took only 10 or so seconds to load the page. NOT 30ish.

3/Just how rural are you?

.Clueless

tweak\'e
08-03-2003, 11:02 PM
well for me it takes about 10seconds without ads and my modem downloads at 2.8kB/s.

Trev0
08-03-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm connected at 45.2Kbps (reported) and the data runs all over the place, usually inbetween 3 and 10 k, not too sure if that's what you're thinking of as I'm using MyIE2 (for the tabs)
and I'm an hour inland from chch

do you think I may be able to speed something up (hope so!!)

Trev

Kibito
09-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Guys...

Can we stick to the topic so it can be dealt with and other people with problems can be helped........

The guy wants to know what to do about the ads.

Heres the answer.

Either get a popup blocker or norton firewall, or just put up with them.

End of story.......

Theres no secret little device. No hidden website with that super dooper popup blaster. Just look around and have a browse. Theres nothing more to it........

Next Topic.

Clueless
09-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Trev0,

For me a familiar ad loads pretty much instantly, assuming you are using IE go to tools > internet options > general > temporary internet files > X MB and raise the figure a wee bit, so it remembers the images that get repeated. By memory the default figure is someone low. Increasing this figure should help avoid the ads loading fresh each time.

Hey when i'm in Greymouth the reported connection speed on my betterhalfs dial-up connection is usually about 48,000, and the site loads at resonable speed.

.Clueless

Trev0
09-03-2003, 08:28 AM
goodish point kibito, sorry Baldy, but I did think 'load speed' was the issue as opposed to ads.
I don't see the right had strip ad (although I have seen it before) I think it might be something to do with the hosts file, on XP, in system32>drivers>etc...
Ill post back if I can find out what I did to it!

and i'll have a go and start a new thread...

Trev

Trev0
09-03-2003, 08:50 AM
this (http://www.smartin-designs.com/) is where I got the info from and I think(?) is how I lost the RH side ad

Trev

Susan B
09-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Well I have just done a "controlled experiment". :D

Using Opera with my Hosts file (which blocks out the ads) a thread with just one post took 5 seconds to fully load. I know this because Opera has a status bar that has these details on it.

Another thread with just one post (chose another one so that it was not in the cache) and with the Hosts file disabled took a whopping 23 seconds to fully load with all the adverts. :O

A thread with over 20 replies took 15 seconds to load with no ads, a similar thread took 29 seconds to load with the ads. Not much difference here but I think the ads were already in the cache by then.

I consider my connection to be very slow for a "city" location. These threads were loading at between 2.6 and 4.7 KB/s with nothing else being downloaded, nor the other computer switched on.

I know that we need the adverts to keep the forum going but I will be damned if I will wait that long (and much longer when I am downloading or the other PC is on) for each and every thread to load. For me it is far better to disable the Hosts file every few days to see what ads are running and then go back to faster browsing when I have seen them all.

-=JM=-
09-03-2003, 11:03 AM
If you browse the way that I do it doesn't really matter how long the threads take to load.

I'll come home from work/tech and will fire up Phoenix and get it to open up all the bookmarks in the 'Forums' folder :D

I then proceed to go through and open every thread which has a new reply in it. If on my reading of these I come across a thread which hasn't fully loaded yet I just proceed to move onto the next one.

At home I do usually have the ads disabled by way of a hosts file but I also make a point of checking the forums when I'm at tech and the ads load up then, at quite a speed.

The thing I dislike about ads is not so much the time they take to load but the screen realestate that they take up.

Susan B
09-03-2003, 11:24 AM
> I then proceed to go through and open every thread which has a new reply in it.

Yeah, I do that too, but it has quite often backfired on me if I go and post a reply 30 mins after opening that window and meanwhile half a dozen people have already posted! :D

Have had to learn to refresh an "old" thread before committing myself these days. ;-)

Greg S
09-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Real easy mate - configure your firewall to block the scripts in the ads, and edit your hosts file - If you'd like me to send you my hosts file text, which obliterates ads for about 1000 ad servers, including the one's PressF1 uses, let me know - it's a true gem.

Clueless
09-03-2003, 03:12 PM
X-( Why are you people so determend to KILL the forum for the sake of a few seconds inconvieniance? X-(

As Graham said.. no ads = no money = no forum

So let's just write a detailed thread on how we can get together and kill Press F1 shall we? Talk about bite the bloody hand! X-(

.Clueless

Greg S
09-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Drivel.

Thomas
09-03-2003, 04:37 PM
>As Graham said.. no ads = no money = no forum

Makes sense to me,am I missing something?

Heather P
09-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Well why don't you people who still communicate by smoke signals make a concerted effort to ask the Press F1 people if they can make smaller file size ads?

Less Flash, less colour, more boring, lower resolution... but smaller.

Greg S
09-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Yes.

My post was in response to a PC based question by the person that started this thread - the if's of supporting a multi-national publisher by enduring (and paying for the privledge) their ads, was not my intention to debate.

I think people are somewhat in gaga land if they believe this forum is "supported" by its pages' advertising. A few hundred kb's of server space and a miniscule amount of bandwidth, together probably costing a few cents a month, is all that this forum would cost to host. The database development may have cost a few hours of time, but that's about it. Do you actually know the ludicrous cost of advertising on this site? I do, and it's just money for jam for IDG.

Scouse
09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Must be my bi-focals or something.
Until this thread started I had not actually read any of the ads.
Having had a decko at them once, I shall probably never read them again.
What sort of time delay are we talking about in a normal download?
Scouse.

Kibito
09-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Oh... My God....

Guys....

The Dude wanted an ad stopper...... Thats all.

Susan. You're obviously very smart. But A "Controlled experiment" was not exactly what the guy had in mind.
An ad stopper guys... You've all been talking about connection speeds, internet whatevers, firewalls and all.

And yet I very much doubt, that even a SINGLE ad blocker has been mentioned. Can we all stop beating around the dam bush and give the guy one STRAIGHT answer and then move onto all the other people with urgent problems....

Where the heck is Bruce and why has this topic not yet been closed. Practically nothing has been achieved.

Greg S
09-03-2003, 06:13 PM
> Oh... My God....
Geez what a melodramatic girl's blouse!
> Guys....
>
> The Dude wanted an ad stopper...... Thats all.
>
> Susan. You're obviously very smart. But A "Controlled
> experiment" was not exactly what the guy had in
> mind.
> An ad stopper guys... You've all been talking about
> connection speeds, internet whatevers, firewalls and
> all.
>
> And yet I very much doubt, that even a SINGLE ad
Where the heck did you learn to read?
> blocker has been mentioned. Can we all stop beating
> around the dam bush and give the guy one STRAIGHT
> answer and then move onto all the other people with
> urgent problems....
>
> Where the heck is Bruce and why has this topic not
> yet been closed. Practically nothing has been
> achieved.
Your comments achieved a damn lot less than anyone else's! Why go to the trouble of adding to a thread with nothing but criticism!?

He asked how to avoid the ads - editting the hosts file and dissallowing ad scripts via a good firewall WORKS!

Baldy
09-03-2003, 06:36 PM
> X-( Why are you people so determend to KILL the forum
> for the sake of a few seconds inconvieniance? X-(
>
> As Graham said.. no ads = no money = no forum
>
> So let's just write a detailed thread on how we can
> get together and kill Press F1 shall we? Talk about
> bite the bloody hand! X-(
>
> .Clueless

Bollocks!
I'm not trying to kill the forum. Just as you HATE spam mail Clueless, I hate those banner adverts that take forever to open.

Thomas
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
As far as I am aware it is not compulsory to look at this site.It's like going to someones house for dinner and criticising the meal ,the wallpaper etc,if you don't like it one should shut up and not go back again.

Kibito
09-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Tell me Greg. What has Baldy learned, through this 3 page Thread........

I'm dying to know. Baldy, what have you learned? Do you know the answer to your prob now?

Kibito
09-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Also, I just want to say, that Thomas. That's the wisest of reply I've seen in this thread so far. You rule.

Thomas
09-03-2003, 08:02 PM
>Also, I just want to say, that Thomas. That's the wisest of reply I've seen in this thread so far. You rule.

Modesty forbids me to say more.

Trev0
09-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Susan B, Good one for doing a trial...
>A thread with over 20 replies took 15 seconds to load with no ads
do you think that 15s, to load text, is good? I'd like to think loading text would take no time...google with a search question in it loads instantly and that (i think) has more than text in it and also links!
and waiting another 10s or so for ads, pretty poor, I think

kibito, have you any ideas on how to load the page quicker, blocking ads or whatever?

Trev

Baldy
09-03-2003, 08:56 PM
> Tell me Greg. What has Baldy learned, through this 3
> page Thread........
>
> I'm dying to know. Baldy, what have you learned? Do
> you know the answer to your prob now?

I have learn't several things including that this is a taboo subject to the few who seem to think that PressF1 is their own personal property, AND how dare anyone have the nerve to diddle IDG out of a few cents by trying to stop the adverts now and again when maybe I might want to download a few mp3s and browse PressF1 at the same time, and seeing as I have made 1300+ posts - IDG have probably made a buck or two out of me since I have been coming here LOL)

I did initially have the thought that it was a legit question..... now I know better:-(

Baldy
09-03-2003, 09:12 PM
> As far as I am aware it is not compulsory to look at
> this site.It's like going to someones house for
> dinner and criticising the meal ,the wallpaper etc,if
> you don't like it one should shut up and not go back
> again.

I wasn't criticising this site. Far from it. Where did you get that idea Thomas?????????

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Baldy>
I do think it is a legit Q.

I too have the ads turned off.. And Im with JM and CyberChuck (Im sure he's glad I told him bout it now, eh CC?).

I have it blocked off on my PC at home, but that's it.

I've seen those ads so damn much I can recite the things, and with Flash animations on my 56K dial-up which now only connects at about 33K, and for icing on the cake, I use ICS, so half the time the 7yo brother is surfing neopets and downloading games galore (Why I wanna learn how to use MS QoS scheduler, if anybody can help, it'd be ever so much appreciated!).

Now, I travel a lot and so at my temp. workplace (The cybercafe have taken me back for a week til tues :D) I see the ads there, and its good, I quite often click them the first time I see them.... But phoenix is so nice.

Download Phoenix (google search for Download Phoenix Nightly) and right-click on the ad and choose dont show from this server. Hit F5.

Now, I do display the ads a lot though, on the family PC, other PC's, my laptop, or when I forget to fire up Phoenix and use IE instead.

Hope this helps ya baldy

Chilling_Silence

Susan B
09-03-2003, 09:30 PM
> Susan. You're obviously very smart. But A "Controlled experiment" was not exactly what the guy had in mind.

And I am sure that your implication that he should "put up with it" was not what he had in mind either!

> An ad stopper guys... You've all been talking about connection speeds, internet whatevers, firewalls and all.

Yes, because they are actually some ways that Baldy could use to solve his problem. An "ad stopper" is not necessarily the ONLY tool available to Baldy. Connection speeds were discussed to demonstrate the difference that showing or blocking the adverts made to downloading Press F1 pages. In other words, supporting Baldy's case with his desire to speed up the loading of pages when downloading other things.

Not everyone has all day to wait for the pages to load here. There is a big difference between 5 seconds and 30 seconds when you are talking about 25 pages per session -- with several sessions a day sometimes. If you think that is trivial, don't forget to add the time it takes to load the pages used to research a lot of the problems. It all adds up and I have had several people tell me that they just would not do it if they were not on Jetstream. Count yourself lucky that there are plenty of patient clued-up people here.

> do you think that 15s, to load text, is good?

Trev0: For a forum with as many posts in a thread as this one it is probably about right. I just refreshed this page and it took 20 seconds with no ads and 7KB/s (I am fast tonight!! :D).

It might be taking a while to load because the forum is not "just text" like Google is. The posts are enclosed in "tables" which may or may not be making a difference, I am not sure.

Personally the page loading speed does not bother me too much when the ads are not displayed but I sure notice the slow down when the Host file is disabled. I know the ads are required to run this forum so I do make a point of having a look at them fairly regularly -- after all, I might miss something good if I didn't! :D

Chilling_Silence
09-03-2003, 09:53 PM
> I know the ads are required to run this forum so I do
> make a point of having a look at them fairly
> regularly -- after all, I might miss something good
> if I didn't! :D

And I agree....

But its like seeing an ad on TV - Buy this wonder product now and receive $10 off!!!

Its there tomorrow though... So why bother, you've seen it, and made up your mind about the product..

I still do check the ads. Without it, Pf1 I doubt would be possible...

As for PF1 connection, I think it's more than capable!

-=JM=-
09-03-2003, 10:00 PM
One of the things adding to the time is that it is a dynamic page. Each time you load up the page you *should* be getting a fresh version straight from the server.

If someone posts at 12:00:00 then you load the page at 12:00:01 you should get that persons post.

The old forums that were here worked differently. They only updated the pages every 15mins. So things would worker in that instance.... until the traffic became too much for it.

Thomas
09-03-2003, 11:00 PM
My dear Baldy,one would never question you,one was questioning these comments......
My post was in response to a PC based question by the person that started this thread - the if's of supporting a multi-national publisher by enduring (and paying for the privledge) their ads, was not my intention to debate.

I think people are somewhat in gaga land if they believe this forum is "supported" by its pages' advertising. A few hundred kb's of server space and a miniscule amount of bandwidth, together probably costing a few cents a month, is all that this forum would cost to host. The database development may have cost a few hours of time, but that's about it. Do you actually know the ludicrous cost of advertising on this site? I do, and it's just money for jam for IDG.

nz_liam
09-03-2003, 11:22 PM
&gt; Yes.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; My post was in response to a PC based question by
&gt; the person that started this thread - the if's of
&gt; supporting a multi-national publisher by enduring
&gt; (and paying for the privledge) their ads, was not my
&gt; intention to debate.
&gt;
&gt; I think people are somewhat in gaga land if they
&gt; believe this forum is "supported" by its pages'
&gt; advertising. A few hundred kb's of server space and
&gt; a miniscule amount of bandwidth, together probably
&gt; costing a few cents a month, is all that this forum
&gt; would cost to host. The database development may
&gt; have cost a few hours of time, but that's about it.
&gt; Do you actually know the ludicrous cost of
&gt; advertising on this site? I do, and it's just money
&gt; for jam for IDG.

:^O:^O:^O no offence, but it sounds like YOU are in gaga land mate, do you have ANY idea how much bandwidth these dynamically driven sites use, take ChatF1 for example, last time I looked we had around 130-140 registered users, and that site chews through about 8 GIG's a month. Now just add a couple of 0's to that figure and you have what PF1 would go through, remember this server is connected to a 10Mbps pipe for a reason!

-=JM=-
09-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Well I know the stats for some other forums. One reasonably busy NZ based one does 70-80GB of traffic per month. That's EVERY month. Has done more than that ~100GB on months with a a few heavily picced threads which got international linkage.

It does ad up, it's more than just a couple of cents.

nz_liam
09-03-2003, 11:40 PM
> Well I know the stats for some other forums. One
> reasonably busy NZ based one does 70-80GB of traffic
> per month. That's EVERY month. Has done more than
> that ~100GB on months with a a few heavily picced
> threads which got international linkage.
>
> It does ad up, it's more than just a couple of cents.

:D I think I know the forum your talking about :D

And don't forget that PF1 is hosted in NZ not in the US where data is cheap...

Greg S
10-03-2003, 02:49 AM
>
> :^O:^O:^O no offence, but it sounds like YOU are in
> gaga land mate, do you have ANY idea how much
> bandwidth these dynamically driven sites use, take
> ChatF1 for example, last time I looked we had around
> 130-140 registered users, and that site chews through
> about 8 GIG's a month. Now just add a couple of 0's
> to that figure and you have what PF1 would go
> through, remember this server is connected to a
> 10Mbps pipe for a reason!

No offence mate, but it sounds like bull to me; If you're going thru 8 gigs a month on your chat server, which I struggle to believe, then something's radically wrong. I ran a chat site myself, and it was going thru no more than 19KB per user per session, which averaged 2 hours each.

The only significant bandwidth this site uses is probably because of the damned ad graphics! :^O

Kibito
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
But seriously Greg, I don't want to argue, I just want to say that yall may wanna involve baldy more in this convo so he gets his answer.

nz_liam
10-03-2003, 09:09 AM
&gt; No offence mate, but it sounds like bull to me; If
&gt; you're going thru 8 gigs a month on your chat server,
&gt; which I struggle to believe, then something's
&gt; radically wrong. I ran a chat site myself, and it
&gt; was going thru no more than 19KB per user per
&gt; session, which averaged 2 hours each.

It really depends on the type of chat setup, Javascript clients (etc) will use a hell of a lot less bandwidth then say clients based on dynamically driven pages (php).

Cheers

Liam

Clueless
10-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Greg,
It costs $$$$$$$ for the maintanance of the server for PF1.. What kind of $/hour do you think the techs who struggled to fix the log in problems etc are on??
Perhaps you think that PF1 recovers from its problematic moments because of someones fairy Godmother comes along and says "All better now"? Then there are other costs as well (surprise!!!!). PF1 is not some 2 bit 5 page static html site! It all costs $$$$$

Sheesh

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2003, 02:37 PM
I know that at a few times there were around 7 people working on those login issues, Trying to figure out what it was..

7x wages, plus data costs... Dude, It mounts up to a LOT!

My Qwik Chat can do very minimal.. I have hosted it on a 2400kbps (That's right, 1/10th a 28K modem) connection, and it was fine with two in the chat, not lag etc.

Now, MSN on the other hand uses a good whack each time a message is sent, there's the overhead of font color, italics, bold, font face, name, and whether the user at the other end is typing or not..

I can send a meg with one chat in several minutes for MSN.. and its a chat prog.. supposedly low bandwidth stuff....

A 50K image... 2x per page... I visit at least 50 pages per time... there can be around 50 Id estimate at times... (Major guess there.. nothing solid..) and that's just the ads! I visit mroe than once a day... dude, this is a pretty major thing, and they're offering it for free!

For that, I am very grateful!

Thankyou to IDG for such and excellent service at such an invaluable price.

Chilling_Silence

Thomas
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Count me on the gratefull side of the argument.:)

Curly
10-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Ummmm Susan B, where do I find this hosts file thingi?

It just might be interesting to have a looksee.

Susan B
10-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Curly, do a search on Google for "hosts file". :-)

Greg S
10-03-2003, 10:30 PM
This is where I got mine, and I just modified it slightly:
http://www.smartin-designs.com/

nz_liam
11-03-2003, 09:47 AM
> This is where I got mine, and I just modified it
> slightly:
> http://www.smartin-designs.com/

Holy hell, I just added 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net to my C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc file, and bang, it's PF1 without ads :D

Is there one of these for Linux ?:|:D

nz_liam
11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
***C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file***

nz_liam
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Dang this hosts file thing is good, so simple, so brilliant, and with an addition of a couple more ad-servers i cant get dilbert.com the way it should be :):):)

nz_liam
11-03-2003, 10:00 AM
**Dang spelling mistakes...**

Dang this hosts file thing is good, so simple, so brilliant, and with an addition of a couple more ad-servers I can get dilbert.com the way it should be :):):)

-=JM=-
11-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Also using 0.0.0.0 can be a tad faster though some programs may spit up errors at it.