PDA

View Full Version : W98 SE PROBLEMS

sellboat
06-03-2003, 01:27 PM
I have formatted & installed 98SE several times ia an attempt to get rid of the following problem:
When I attempt to instal a modem, internet connection etc all seems to go well at the start then I get an onscreen message to
:Insert W98SE Disc". I do that and get error messages onscreen telling me that C:\.................. (filenames) cannot be found. And I also get the "insert W98SE" message again.

I have loaded driver files off the internet on my main computer and loaded them off a floppy, I have also found the item I am wanting to install in the lists of drivers in 98 SE all to no avail.

The CD with 98SE on it is fine, I have loaded other 'puters ith it since. The machine I am having the trouble with is a P200mmx with 64Megs ram & 2 Gig HDD.
Thanks

Gorela
06-03-2003, 01:44 PM
You don't mention the full path, but it is normally looking for the CAB files. Check your C:/ drive under c:/windows/options/CAB to see if SE stores the CAB files in this location. If so then when the computer asks for the driver or file direct it to the above location. ie c:/windows/options/CAB

This should enable the files to be loaded.

tweak\'e
06-03-2003, 01:46 PM
have you installed the motherboard drivers ??

Lohsing
06-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Once you put in the 98SE disc, type in the following command.

e:/win98

That should work assuming your CD-Rom is E: ... use d: if it is d, etc.

Used to have that prob myself.

Lo.

Terry Porritt
06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
You have both got a dose of Unix/Linux :)
Use a backslash \

Lohsing
06-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Ooops! :8}

somebody
07-03-2003, 09:20 PM
When the window comes up saying it can't find the file "blah blah blah", you need to tell it to find it from the CD. For some strange reason (it's happened with me as well), windows sometimes does not automatically change the default directory for windows drivers to D:\win98 (where D is your CD ROM drive). It's just a matter of telling it to go there and find it, by typing it where it currently says "C:\WINDOWS\precopy....'

sellboat
08-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Thank you all for your input I do appreciate it .

Somebody, yes that does make sense and I will do that - I have formatted and installed Windows on quite a few HDD"S and this is the first time I have had this problem.

Thank you all again