PDA

View Full Version : 56K Modem troubles - keeps saying no dial tone

PoWa
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
I have a 56K internal Conexant HSF modem. Currently running XP Pro SP1.

Ok as some of you know, I just installed XP Pro again and I went to reinstall my modem drivers. Someone suggested on another post that I install certain drivers to get rid of the modem noise that was coming from the internal speaker. So I installed the Generic- Fujitsu 56k v.90 E, straight off. I managed to connect straight away without any problems.

Then I edited a setting in modem properties to make the modem not wait for a dial tone before dialing. Then about 20min later it disconnected and I have not been able to connect since. I have tried uninstalling that driver and then installing the proper driver from their website (which used to work before) and I've also tried putting all the settings back to the way they were. It still keeps saying 'no dial tone' and won't even dial in.

Any ideas?

Jim B
06-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Connect a phone to the same jackpoint the computer phone line is connected to and check you are getting a dialtone.
If you are, check or replace the phone cord to the computer and check it is in the port marked Line in the computer.
If you have Call Minder clear all messages and try again.
The only thing left is a fault with the modem itself.

tweak\'e
06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
just recently we had a fault here with the telephone exchange. it would take a while before you would get a dial tone. when you check with a phone that the phone outlet has dailtone, just check if their is a delay before you get the dailtone.

bmason
06-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Check what country its set to. "New Zealand" or "USA" will work.

Graham L
06-03-2003, 03:35 PM
And in frustration, turn the power right off, and leave it off for five minutes. It's the oldest fix for hardware and software. It still often works. ;-)

PoWa
06-03-2003, 05:11 PM
I don't think its a problem with the phone line. The other computer can connect fine.

I'll try some of the things said and get back to here.

PoWa
07-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Still not working guys! help! I don't think there is any delay in the phone line..and the other computer in the house can connect fine. It has to be something with my computer, maybe it didn't fully uninstall the old modem drivers? Anyone know where these are located in the Windows directory?

godfather
07-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Under control panel, system, device manager.

Click on modem and uninstall. If it were mine I would power down and remove modem. Power up, power down and refit. It will be recognised and ask for drivers, or more likely find its own and reinstall.

If it really is a faulty modem, consider replacing it with a real modem, RS232 hardware external type. PCI software modems have a love/hate relationship with XP. I ended up throwing my 2 away.

sam m
07-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Try another driver, I have been thru a couple since I upgraded to XP. The first allowed me to dial-up to internet but I couldn't get fax to work. I have just downloaded new one and fax & net now work fine.
Just copy/paste your modem details into google add 'driver' and 'XP' and search.

Good Luck
Sam

danem1
07-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Do you know the modem is still working it could be faulty modem or slot on the mother Bd might have got power spike or something check modem in another pc or try different modem you know works in that PC.

Rod ger
07-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Try going into Safe Mode and checking out if you have multiple installs in the device manager, delete them down to one and restart.

PoWa
08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
I sorta have it going now. Its a bit weird, sometimes it disconnects fior no reason etc. We're getting a router soon, so I might just have to wait a few weeks :)

Thanks anyway guys