PDA

View Full Version : Should I begin coversion to WiFi?

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Currently I've got 2 PC's and my laptop in my bedroom in a sleepout, and there's a 40 ft. cable running out my bedroom window up to the house where the main Gateway/ICS/DHCP PC is located. Its a 40ft cable cozi t runs around the fence etc, but its probably only 10 or so meters away.

Basically, my friend had lent me the cable, but needs it back, and looking ant making my own, or buying it, why not go wireless I thought after scott bartley's latest feature in PCW.

Only thing is that Im worried about interference coz my bedroom is made from some sort of metal, who knows.. But it cuts off most cordless phone reception, and vodafone signals, however, my 027 phone works fine!

Basically I wanna try and keep costs to a minimum.
I just wanna do the equivalent of a crossover between the PC upstairs, and my PC down in my room, keeping the current NIC in my PC and having that as a bridge between the connections so hopefully they'll all be able to talk to each other. My PC is running RH8 and WinXP, the family PC is currently on XP too.

What would I be best going with?
802.11b, or go with a?
I want it to be as cheap as possible, so I'd probably wanna go with USB WLAN connections, as opposed to PCI.

Will there be too much interference to notice at a distance of 15 or so meters if I go with 802.11b? There's not a direct LOS, and a few walls/trees in the way.

Am I being paranoid about the connection and its strength?

Where should I go to get the WLAN cards if I do choose it over getting another long cable?
Im hoping to keep costs to under $150, as Im currently un-employed and have to make the $$ last, but I need these PC's networked!

Any opinions or comments, or hardware reccommendations?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

mikebartnz
06-03-2003, 09:02 AM
With the doubts about reception and the cost factor the cable looks a better bet to me. The trouble is you will not know about the reception until you have bought the gear unless you know someone to lend you the gear to trial. The other thing is will a wireless connection make things easier for you apart from the initial cabling if not I don't see the point in changing apart from having a new toy to play with. :D

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Mmmm....

*The idea of a new toy is appealing*

Would it make that much of a difference at that distance though?

Would it be better to go with the standard with the longer range then?

BIFF
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Stick with the cable, it'll be way faster and a whole lot cheaper if you buy it from a wholesaler.

BootyLicious
06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
I have my gateway in my sleepout, the cable goes through the wall into the garage out the front of the garage along the fence under the house(what a jod that was dirty) and up through the floor in 2 rooms.

Got the cable and the connecting things from dse.co.nz 30m longest one.

-=JM=-
06-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Go round to Liam's and "borrow" his wireless networking stuff. ;)

I'd be more inclined to stick with proper cables though as it will be faster, provided that the lawn mower doesn't hit them.

Clueless
06-03-2003, 01:37 PM
10 metres?
Can you not bury a cable? As it is only data, it would only be nessesary to split the ground with a spade, push the cable down and pat the ground together. The scar would be gone in no time.

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Okay.. Its prolly a bit over, at the moment (I was told wrong) its a 40 Meter cable, not ft cable :p

Then again, its currently going around the fence-line...

Im just looking at those $87 WLAN USB Adapters from DSE..

*Calls*
Liam..... Oh Liam.... Where are you....

...I need to... ...*Cough* borrow *Cough* ... ...your WLan gear...

...Reakon you could.... ...er... ...lend it to me... ... for, saaay... ...How long is the warranty for???...

:p