PDA

View Full Version : Help Please, Problem With Starting Up

Pauline
05-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Today I have developed a problem & don't know how to fix it.
I have Win ME. When I start the computer it shows up all the installed bits & pieces & then at the bottom I get
"non system disk or disk error. Replace & strike any key when ready" I do that & get that same message coming up. The only way I can get it going is to Ctrl/Alt/Del, then press esc & a box comes up with "select Boot Device" The one at the top is highlighted "ST 340016A" I just press enter & then I'm in.
What has gone wrong?
I have done a one button checkup in Norton's systemworks & System Restore won't restore.
I need help!
Pauline.

godfather
05-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Ummm...take the floppy out of the A: drive would help?
Or take the CD out of the CD reader?

It indicates that something in the boot order (floppy, CD, then HDD) is being recognised but contains no OS. Usually a floppy left in A:

Merlin
05-03-2003, 10:14 PM
FYI

The error message indicates that the startup files cannot be accessed - usually for either of two reasons. You named one, the other is that the startup files are no longer accessable on the bootable partition.

Pauline
05-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi Godfather,
What a wally I was. There was a floppy disk in that I had forgotten about. Here I was thinking I had major problems.
Thanks
Pauline.

mikebartnz
05-03-2003, 10:45 PM
You are better off setting it in the bios so that the C drive is the first boot device.

Scouse
05-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Hi

""You are better off setting it in the bios so that the C drive is the first boot device.""

Why? Thanks.

Greg S
06-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Disagree with that. If your pc runs into probs and you need to run with a boot disc, it's not going to look past C

bmason
06-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Then it can be set back to try booting off the floppy/cdrom first.

Some are even nice enough to add a "Press F? to select boot device...".

CYaBro
06-03-2003, 03:05 PM
I'll support that too!

I always set the PC to boot from the C: first. How often do you need to boot from anything else??!!

Makes booting a bit quicker!

Graham L
06-03-2003, 03:10 PM
The main reason for doing that is if like me you have an immense number of old floppies, many of which have boot viruses (;-)) and you leave such a nasty floppy in the drive ... and you reboot and the sytem goes to the floppy, it infects the HD. Bad language ensues.

It's much less of a problem for you modern people.

But it makes your boot a bit quicker. Chnaging it back if needed takes very litttle time.