PDA

View Full Version : PC World Page 85 March 2003 edition.

peter_mundy
05-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Wednesday 05 Mar 2003 08:20:35

Re Swipe your swap file -

After I disabled virtual memory as instructed, the system said I needed to reboot to make the changes effective.

1) Should I do this or not? I did not as I have an AntiVirus program that gets invoked at startup, or would it be OK next time. The article did say not to run any other software.
2a) I did defrag it without rebooting and it took a while longer to start the defrag but it just got on with the job!

2b) (Normally defrag always stops).
What I found that works when this happens is to hit stop after the hard drive light goes out, exit defrag, then open defrag again and it just motors. does this give anyone an idea of what is wrong normally, and do you think this "virtual memory" has anything to do with it?

My machine has 300Mhz, 128MEG RAM, running Windows 98 (not SE).

Thanks for any help.

godfather
05-03-2003, 09:38 PM
None of the settings will take physical effect until the restart.

You are VERY brave running defrag when you have told windows you have changed the settings of virtual memory, but not actually allowed it to physically do it.

As Graham L recently said on this forum, consider a defrag as an oil change in your car. You wouldnt stop and start the motor, drive to the supermarket etc while changing the oil?

You need to disable all applications to run defrag, or it will continually restart, taking ages in some cases. Best to try it in Safe Mode.

tweak\'e
05-03-2003, 09:49 PM
the idea behind disableing virtual memory before defrag is to clean out the swapfile and reduce fragmention.

you have 128 meg of ram so it shouldn't have any problems. simply disable swapfile, reboot into safe mode, run defrag, then enable swapfile and reboot into normal.

roofus
05-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Note: If you have Nortons then the Speed disk function will do this for you.