PDA

View Full Version : the difference is?

beetle
05-03-2003, 01:07 PM
what is the difference between copying to a CD and burning to a CD.
and im not into illegal things, just want to no the difference.
or are they the same and the burnt copy or whatever you call it still works fine?
how does back up or saving to disk be different to?
just been playing around with programs and learning how to do some other stuff ...... just out of my safe mode...lol

thanxs
Beetle :)

robsonde
05-03-2003, 01:20 PM
there is no difference that i know of.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Eventually the end product is the same, but there's a couple of main ways to 'get the data onto the CD'.

InCD or similar:
Allows you to use a CD-RW as a Giant floppy disc that you can install software to, backup files to, or just use it like a normal floppy disk in general.

Nero, Roxio CD-Creator, NTI CD-Maker and similar:

Can burn to a CD-R or CD-RW, but it has to be all done at once.
You make a 'compilation' of the files you want to copy to the CD, and when you're done, you hit Burn and that's it! No copying on the fly as with InCD, however, these CD-R's are readable in the vast majoirty of CD-ROM's as opposed to CD-RW's made with InCD!

HTH

Chilling_Silence

beetle
05-03-2003, 05:06 PM
> Eventually the end product is the same,
so they will work or read just as good as original info?

>
> Nero, i have this but have not used it yet.
is it simple? is it time consuming?
>

> Can burn to a CD-R or CD-RW, but it has to be all
> done at once.
why does it have to be done all at once?

> HTH
still clear as mud! lol

no im slowly getting it thanks for the time and patience.

Beetle

minos
05-03-2003, 05:15 PM
you don't have to burn a cd all at once ( its called multi-sessioning ) unless your copying I mean backing up a game disk etc... not that I'd suggest you should copy games/software etc, and depending on the media you use ( and the drive ) you can re-record onto CD-RW media.

:-)

beetle
05-03-2003, 05:23 PM
lol
as long as i use a re writable disk to isnt it?
mainly just saving my school stuff, and lotsa pictures (photos) that ive scanned. cause i dont have a digital camera. so its easier to put on a CD i think. to save them just in case i stuff it up

ok and im not copying any games or the like.

thanxs.
beetle

mikebartnz
05-03-2003, 06:12 PM
>Can burn to a CD-R or CD-RW, but it has to be all done at once.
You can use a multisession to write to the disk more than once but I assume you mean the writing is done at once unlike InCD which can be done file by file.
Just wanted to make things clear. :D

Clueless
05-03-2003, 06:23 PM
The difference
....is that copying a CD implies that the source is another CD being copied.

Burning a CD doesn't imply that, sure you get a CD at the end of the process, but the source may have been something on your HDD.

Neither process is illegal in itself, unless you are copying something you really shouldn't!

.Clueless

beetle
05-03-2003, 10:47 PM
ok i think i got it now and i went ahead and saved some stuff off the puter and it looks ok
so should not run into problems using it, only had problems trying to get rite information to the cd burner / file thing to start with lol

thanxs everyone

beetle