PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I give up! I've searched F1 inside out but can't find the post!!

Billy T
04-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi Team

I'm not sure what's wrong with me today, but my searches are turning up zilch.

I want to find the recent post about deleting the left-hook arrow that turns up as a carriage return or similar when you paste text direct from an email into Word. I want to do a search & replace but to do that I need the code for the symbol to be replaced.

If I recall correctly the code involves use of a caret symbol ^ but I've searched F1 on every conceivable word and gone through Character Map, all my old DOS books, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, but with no success. :_| Did anybody bookmark this post. ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

honeylaser
04-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Is it this one? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30423)

Billy T
04-03-2003, 01:34 PM
D'oh :8}

Yes, and there was me thinking it was less than four weeks old.

I plead old age and depleted brain cells. :(

Thanks Honeylaser

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Advisory: Depleted brain cells have properties opposite
to those of depleted Uranium. They are decidedly
low-impact and have zero penetrating power. :_|

Billy T
04-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Rats!

None of the find/replace formatting options deal with the left-hook arrow, but I found a quick and easy temporary solution: Copy and paste the selection into Notepad, save as text, then copy and paste back to Word.

All formatting disappears. :D

I probably didn't even need to save it, but I have wasted so much time on this I decided to just get on with the job.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

What a miserable way to finally hit 1024 posts. :(

honeylaser
04-03-2003, 02:02 PM
> I plead old age and depleted brain cells. :(

And thats your God Given right!

> Thanks Honeylaser

Not a problem, glad to be of assistance :)

Susan B
04-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Hiya Billy, :-)

Not sure if I am on the right track or not, but if I am thinking of the same thing as you a "left-hook arrow" is what they call a manual line-break.

In Word, press Ctrl+H to bring up the find and replace dialogue box, click on the "More" button to show more options, then on the "Special" button. From that list choose the "Manual Line Break" and away you go!

You will see that the characters for this is ^l so if you can remember that (unlike me, duh!) all you need do is type it. So, you were nearly there, weren't you? :-)

Don't worry, you are allowed a blonde day every so often. I cannot remember the last one you had so you have got a few more in reserve yet. ;-)

Cheers Big Bruv. :x :D

Billy T
04-03-2003, 04:31 PM
You are so sweet Sis :x

Suggesting that I am having a Blonde day implies that I have hair in abundance, whereas most would say I was follically challenged. I tried the manual line break first actually, but it refused to do its thing. Perhaps Word was having a Blonde day and not me after all. :)

Mind you, if anybody knew how long I spent on this issue today I'd be laughed off the Forum. :8}

I wouldn't have bothered only I run into this issue quite often, sometimes with very big documents and manual correction is enormously time consuming. I keep telling myself that the investment was worthwhile, and I guess it was because now I have a very fast and 100% effective solution.

Cheers

Big Bruv 8-{) :D

P.S. Didja see I finally qualified for the 1K Klub?

Mike
04-03-2003, 08:02 PM
> P.S. Didja see I finally qualified for the 1K Klub?

Well done Billy! gee, soon you'll be passing me :( I better start posting more often again... everybody's passing me

Mike.

Billy T
04-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Dunno about that Mike, it's taken me a long time to get there. :8}

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

-=JM=-
04-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I had noticed a lack of your presence Mike.

Kame
04-03-2003, 08:43 PM
One way I copy email (outlook) to word is that I actually open up the email and not copy from what they call the panel.

Just doubleclick the email and copy and paste the open email window and the formatting should be the same as the email itself.

Dunno if this would help but it helped me.

Billy T
04-03-2003, 09:19 PM
I don't usually want the original formatting, but I especially don't want to keep non-standard formatting. That's why I want to strip the existing data. Passing the email through Notepad works faster than any search and replace functions and also strips odd line spacings etc.

Thanks anyway,

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-
04-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Billy there was a handy program on last months PC World cover disc I think it was. It was called Clip Strip. After 30days it runs out.

I went searching and found a free alternative that I find very good. Just have a shortcut in the quick launch and you can always access it. You can have it start in the system tray when windows loads if you want as well.

Clip Case (http://www.dougworld.com/clipcase.html) does it very well indeed.

Billy T
05-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks JM, that's a doozy of an applet :D

Don't you just hate the way the site loads though? Talk about pretentious, it is a monument to somebody's ego for sure and wastes a lot of time. I'd hate to access it on dial-up.

Thanks again

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

-=JM=-
05-03-2003, 08:00 PM
umm the site seemed to load up fine for me.... not that I was watching it while it was loading, thats what other windows are for.

-=JM=-
05-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Also if it's as bad as you say it is. I'd most certainly hate to load it on JetStream ;)

Billy T
06-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Well, although I now have Clip Case courtesy of JM that does much more than I was looking for, I found the answer to my original query quite by accident.

I was sitting in the *cough* library reading the latest PC World and in the letters section a reader was writing in glowing terms to robo, thanking him for giving the answer to just that question. The code was ^l and somehow I had even missed that in the "Special" section of find & replace.

I knew I had read it somewhere robo, but didn't link your name to the memory. Just as well you don't read all the posts or you could get justifiably frustrated and wonder if anybody ever bothered to read your advice. I do of course, I just don't remember it. :8}

Still, Clip Case is great so I retrieved something from the ashes, if not my pride. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
06-03-2003, 03:30 PM
> The code was ^l and somehow I had even missed that in the "Special" section of find & replace.

Geez Billy, didya even read my instructions the other day?? ?:|

>>> You will see that the characters for this is ^l so if you can remember that (unlike me, duh!) all you need do is type it.

Then again, maybe it was ME having a blonde day with my garbled instructions? :O That would be more like it -- just another thing to add to the list of disasters following me around like damn shadows just lately. :-(

Never mind, all's well that ends well. Glad you got something extra out of it. :-)

Billy T
06-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Oh yes, I did read your instructions Susan, but by that stage the patient had died and I was frantically looking for somewhere to hide the body. :O

Faux pas are so visible on public forums. :(

I don't know why I don't take up something less embarrassing, like streaking, Americas Cup sailing, or membership of Act. :8}

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p