PDA

View Full Version : MSConfig for Me, and You

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2003, 10:11 AM
I use msconfig a lot on my family's XP Pro PC.

However, I want a way that'll let me create induvidual settings for each persons msconfig startup tab.

The reason being that I have a program, and I only want it to load on one users startup, and it normally just sits in the systray.

Ive tried making a shortcut to the proggy, however, it comes up with several windows at the start, which I dont want.

Is there anything that'll let me edit each individual users settings for msconfig-Startup or do I ask the impossible?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

craig_b
03-03-2003, 12:38 PM
What you want to do should be possible, but you will need to edit the registry manually, rather than using msconfig.

You will need to log in as an admin, and make a note of the programs listed in these keys:

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

(if this means nothing to you, it is probably best not to continue!)

Make a backup of the registry before you continue, and make sure you know how to recover from a failed boot.

Decide which items you want each user to run on startup, and go into the HKEY_USERS folder. In there will be a series of numbers that look something like "S-1-5-20"

You are looking for much longer ones than this, with three long blocks of munbers after this. Each one of these long number strings corresponds to a user, and the respective information here is referenced by the HKEY Current User area on login.

Somehow you need to identify which string belongs to which user, and put the programs you want to tun into the "software\microsoft\windows\current version\run" key.

This 'should' achieve the desired results, but it is a bit of an effort for what you are after I think.

-- If all of the users can load regedit, then you don't have to figure out which string is theirs, just log in as them one at a time and use the HKEY Current User folder instead...

If you wish to do this, and need help figuring out which string is whose, post back here, and i'll give you my "secret" method!!

Hope this helps,
Craig.

-=JM=-
03-03-2003, 07:18 PM
What program is it that you're wanting to run. Sometimes you can call it from the "start up" folder with the right command switch to make it start in the tray.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2003, 04:21 PM
yeah, Its actually WinGuard Basic (wgbasic.exe - search google and choose a chinese http folder with lots of other files in it if you wanna download it, the main site always throws a wobbly when i try from the vendor!)

Ive currently got it in the user startup folder, but it appears asking for a password on login each time, not quite what I was wanting!