PDA

View Full Version : Changing my default search engine to google!!

TiMę:*)
02-03-2003, 11:19 AM
do you know when you type in the wrong url in the address bar and the it loads up the msn search enigne with search results. Can i change it to google? I got EI6 and Xp

cyberchuck
02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Click Search in Internet Explorer so it opens up the search menu on the left of the screen
Click Customize > Click "Use Search Assistant"
and change the order of search engines in there. Unfortunately Google isn't listed, however you can change to another search engine

CyberChuck

Baldy
02-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Just install the Google Toolbar

Thomas
02-03-2003, 03:48 PM
You will find it here.
<hdhd.fhfgd

http://toolbar.google.com/

kiwibeat
02-03-2003, 05:51 PM
I just use google as my home page

Jen C
02-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Make Google the default search engine for Internet Explorer versions 4.0 - 6.0 (http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html#default)

Jen

03-03-2003, 04:23 PM
****......... I got the reg file and its screwed, it doesnt work and it made the brower freeze, and i cant replace it back with the original file that i could download, how do i replace the original reg file without system restore?

Tim

Jen C
03-03-2003, 04:48 PM
> ****......... I got the reg file and its screwed, it
> doesnt work and it made the brower freeze, and i cant
> replace it back with the original file that i could
> download, how do i replace the original reg file
> without system restore?

Why can't you replace the original file - what happens when you download and run the default restoring file? Were you logged on as Administrator when you installed it?

03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
>what happens when you download and run the default restoring file?
It says are you sure you want to add blah blah blah to registery-----> ok ------> Cannot import blah blah blah: the specified file is not a registery script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.------> ok -----> nothing happends

>Were you logged on as Administrator when you installed it?
I only have one user on my computer and I sure it has admin rights and blah blah blah.

Tim

03-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Did that reg file make work on your comp?

Jen C
04-03-2003, 04:38 PM
The default.reg file you downloaded, did it still have the .reg extension?

The files to modifiy your registry were provided by the Google Company themselves, so they should of been OK to use if you followed all their instructions. Perhaps you should contact them and see if any one else has reported the same problem.

I do not use IE as my main browser, so I haven't tried the modifications myself.

You could always try restoring your registry to a previous version - instructions are under Help - Help Topics in Registry Editor.

07-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Ok, its works now, but when i put search words on the address bar it uses another search engine!! stink.... i'll read more now