PDA

View Full Version : HP CD Writer

Scottie
27-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to test your brains if possible.

I am running Windows ME and I am having problems with detecting my HP CD Writer drive which is internal. When I go into Windows Explorer I can see the drive there but when I insert a cd into this drive it doesnt detect that a CD is actually in it and keeps asking me to insert a cd.

Therefore I cant write a CD either.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things that I can try as I am a bit stumped on this one.

Thanks everyone.

sc0ut
27-02-2003, 06:29 PM
1 basic answer is
Rightclik on you CDRom
Properties
Hardware
Properties
Driver
Update from internet

2 you CD Lanze may be dead (they do die)

Scottie
27-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks very much for your suggestion I should try this on my computer at home when i finally get there.

One question, what do you mean when you say your CD lanze maybe dead (do you mean cd lense?)?

Thanks for your suggestion i will let you know how i get on.

Cheers.

Peter H
27-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Are you trying a CD or CDR or CDRW?
Bye

sc0ut
27-02-2003, 06:46 PM
yea CD lense
soz so used2 L3ite speak
Sorry i'm too used to gamers lingo

Scottie
27-02-2003, 07:48 PM
I am trying to write music to a CD-R.

But really i think the problem with writing a cd will be fine once I get the CD to actually read the disc in the drive.

Cheers.

agent
27-02-2003, 07:57 PM
If you're so used to "elite speak", how come you spelt "elite" wrong? It's supposed to be "l33t", isn't it? :D

Anyway, back on topic, HP CD writers, as a generalisation, suck. They are full of errors compared to other brands, such as AOpen, TDK, Sony, and other common brands. I've got an HP writer, and under a Win98 comp, it always screwed up the CDs, because it couldn't even write the TOC (Table Of Contents) to the CD, which is right at the start of the writing process.

Robby
28-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Hi scottie,

I assume the writer used to work ok? If so,
the driver for the writer may be at fault, check the driver in the device manager, if there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the listing, this indicates a fault in the driver. updating the driver may help.

cheers,

Robby

Scottie
28-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have checked that as well and there is no exclamation mark beside the drive.

Cheers.