PDA

View Full Version : Secure Destruction of a hard drive?

PoWa
27-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs out there that maybe boot from a floppy disk or cd then they completely wipe -everything- on a hard drive.

For example, overwrite each cluster, many times over so that none of the data that was stored on the drive can every be recovered by anyone.

I would also prefer a program that doesn't cost anything either. ;)

If you are going to tell me that fdisking or formatting the drive will securely erase the entire hard drive, please don't post here.

Cheers :)

sc0ut
27-02-2003, 06:07 PM
i was witching crime night (on discovery) the other day and they said even if you write over it they can recover it upto 5 layers deep (5 over writes)

i'd install Linix 5 times and fill it with 1 .AVG file

PoWa
27-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes I know that. I was considering doing 20ish. (Even more than Department of Defense specify)

BIFF
27-02-2003, 06:14 PM
I would suggest a product called Hammer which you can get from here:
http://www.international-yacht.com/hammer/

BIFF
27-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Anyway, 'people' are going to wonder what's on the disk that you are so worried about. They'll be coming round for a visit in the morning :)

Dylan
27-02-2003, 06:28 PM
low level format. Rewrites every cluster as 00. You can repeat as many time as needed.

i suggest if the information is extremly sensitive you remove hdd and burn under extreme heat (serious). Replace hdd for about $200 for a decent 80gb.

sc0ut
27-02-2003, 06:35 PM
i think you can only low level format some HDs, i know with segate you can

PS i'm listening to the scanner and they are going to raid it at midnight so mike get yout computer and run Walker RUN

Murray P
27-02-2003, 06:46 PM
A strong magnet will do the trick. I guess this would ruin your HDD for any future data storage purposes.

Cheers

Murray P

Dylan
27-02-2003, 06:59 PM
I know you can do LLF on Fujitsu as well, can you include hdd brand and model or go to vendors website looking for tool to do so.

Billy T
27-02-2003, 07:08 PM
No Murray

A strong magnet will NOT do the trick. A static field may corrupt some data, but you need an alternating field to effectively erase. Even then you need a powerful lot of energy!

Using disk washing systems are good enough for any normal person and if you think you need more security than that PoWa then destroy the disk.

Why would you compromise your data security for the sake of a few hundred bucks. For that matter, if it is that important, why are you asking on a Public forum? Surely you need professional security advice ?:| Or do you have data that you simply cannot let anyone else see ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Gordon.
27-02-2003, 07:40 PM
You could use a wipe program such as BCWipe (not free) or PGP Wipe but it has to be noted that data that has been wiped can still be recovered upto a point. A murder in NZ in the last couple of years involved a computer that had been wiped several times and enough data was recovered to pin the suspect to the computer at that time.

The best way I saw of destroying a hard drive was in the Middle East where a switch had been mounted to the front of the PC which would result in current being fed into the drive or something like that.

sc0ut
27-02-2003, 07:51 PM
hell if your going to the Middle East but 500000 capacitors, 12 car batteries and an explosive
charge the capacitors and discharge them as you set the explosive off
EMP bomb that'll wipe out all the data on you harddrive, and electronic devices and anyone elses within in a 400m raids

Murray P
27-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Stand corrected Billy. Ta

Murray P

agent
27-02-2003, 08:17 PM
And I thought 'Hammer' was a real program untill I clicked that link... silly me.

I like the EMP idea, though I'd be more interested in making a weapon that can shoot electromagnetic rays, and just fire some through the tech office room of my school like an xray... that'd be guarenteed to screw up the servers located within, or even better, get one of those electromagnetic cranes they use in car junk yards, put it on the roof of the tech office, and flick it on and off a few times for a few minutes, probably be guarenteed to either: (a) lift the servers up to the ceiling, then drop them back down, and repeat; or (b) cause serious damage to every single electronic device within, and maybe even blow a few fuses if I'm lucky.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2003, 08:22 PM
There's s'posed to be one, but its about $30 US and I cant remember the name or anything. Only ones I know of cost $$

Billy T
27-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Hmmmm.... your enthusiasm outweighs your knowledge of physics agent.

The power required to drive a magnet that powerful would pop the fuses/breakers. Those lifting magnets rely upon close contact with the metal they are lifting and magnetic field conductance trhoughut the scrap or whatever. They are no good at a distance.

Cheers

8-{) :D

agent
27-02-2003, 08:27 PM
So I'll just stick with the electromagnetic ray weapon idea, I read about that within the past week at a trusted-to-be-true source, might've been MSNBC, but I can't remember.

Billy T
27-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Oh yes, and those rays?

Urban myth!

HDDs are shielded inside a solid metal casing, inside a metal outer case. You would need a high power laser to burn through that lot!

Hand held = limited energy source = low power out.

Chemical lasers or pumped lasers could do it but it's a hell of a lot of technology to bring to bear when a hammer can do the same job.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Cheers

Billy

agent
27-02-2003, 08:42 PM
How about flicking the power switch a few hundred times in one minute? ]:)

PoWa
27-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Ok after reading through the amusing but techniquely usless information posted here, apart from a few comments, I am still not that much closer to a solution :)

I had a laugh at the hammer joke, but using a hammer will not stop anyone, there are things called electron microscopes ;) And burning it in say your fireplace is not quite good enough either as electron microscopes can still read it. As for 'extreme heat' well, it depends how hot it was..if the hd melted you could call that secure. Where do I obtain such extreme heat producing device from anyway? A school science lab (aka bunsen burner)? :)

Anyway to more serious point. I have PGP 8. It can only destroy free space on a drive, and it doesn't run from a floppy or anything, which you need it to if you want the whole drive erased.

Tell me about the PCWipe thing? Where do you find that?

And NO, I do not want to destroy my hard drive. I want it erased and I want to use it again. :D

-=JM=-
27-02-2003, 09:42 PM
What about a grinder like they use at the cremating places. They burn the body then deal to the non-destroyed bones with a grinder.

So I'm thinking that borrowing one of these could be a good idea. I can't really see someone assembling it all back together again.

agent
27-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Shove the HDD in another computer, format it, and then use PGP 8 on the now free space many times over? And then format it again. Then use PGP 8. Or use a free tool to overwrite the data first, a search on google ought to find some, and I'm sure http://www.analogx.com has a tool to securely delete files. Then repeat the whole process again. You might be able to find a tool that also fills an HDD up with useless junk data, then cleans it, then repeats again?

Steve Askew
27-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Have a look at this (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3416110,00.html) site as they have quite a few programs listed that should work.
Perhaps to be sure you could run them all :D

Cheers Steve

robo
28-02-2003, 06:39 AM
PoWa
Tell me, if you don't mind, why you are concerned that someone might use an electron microscope to read your hard disk?

From my experience, the problem is more often being unable to read a hard disk when you need/want to than the reverse.

Forensic methods of scraping data and ghost images from disks are only really options in the world of 007 and the America's Cup.

As an aside, filling the hard disk with files of say five similar names (Like cat0001-cat9999, dog0001-dog9999, etc - we had a batch file for doing this somewhere, can't remember where) and cycling through them to create them, then mass deleting cat*, defrag, dog*, defrag, etc would munt the images on there sufficiently to prevent anyone from bothering looking further.

robo.

Billy T
28-02-2003, 09:02 AM
I agree robo

At the risk of sounding a little pointed, I think PoWa is straining at a gnat. Either that or there is some possibly unjustified paranoia present.

PoWa: Unless you have highly confidential miltary grade secrets on your HDD, or seriously illegal material that might be subject to a probing forensic search process followed by a long holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure, just use a standard disk washer then reformat your drive and get back to enjoying life. The contents of your HDD are unlikely to be of any interest whatsoever to any other person but yourself.

If the contents are that interesting/precious/dangerous, then $200 for a new HDD and the enjoyment of ritual destruction is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.

Cheers

Billy T
28-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Oh yes, I forgot to mention PoWa

There is nothing but NOTHING that can recover data from an incinerated HDD. I think we are in urban myth territory again here.

Firstly, the magnetic properties of the disk surface are destroyed by heat, and secondly, the physical substrate turns to gumbo as well. The metal or glass disk platters may remain intact if the temperature is not high enough to melt them but there's no data there so it doesn't matter.

I should have realised where you were coming from whan I read that "electron microscope" comment. Now I can appreciate why no advice or realistic technical solution will ever satisfy you. At this point it seems to me that you will either have to live with your fears, or overcome them.

Spending $249.95 looks increasingly attractive from where I sit. $200 will buy the replacement hard drive and $49.95 buys a butane torch from Jaycar that will apply 1300 degrees celsius to your disk platters. That will easily melt aluminium, glass, copper, bronze, aluminium alloys and a few more substances. I reckon that's more than enough HDD security.

Cheers

yang11
28-02-2003, 10:05 AM
depends on the brand of your hdd. download disk util from their website.
and zeo fill the hdd.

Jams
28-02-2003, 10:38 AM
what i want to know is, WHY are u wanting to do this, do have like illeagal government documents on your hard drive? are the mafia or FBI after you????

have u P***** someone off real bad??????

Archibald
28-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Dude, either you have one of the worst cases of paranoia I,ve ever seen or you have been watching to many American movies.

Just take it out and give it a jolly good beating with a hammer then dispose of it.

A

Jams
28-02-2003, 10:53 AM
u could do what me and a friend did

open the HDD up plug it in and turn it on, and jam a fork on the platters while it is spinning at about 5,400 rpms, sounds dodgy i know, but itmight work, it will compltely destroy the surface area.

just be careful of flying objects though :D :D :p

Grim-One
28-02-2003, 11:01 AM
I was thinking you should send the harddrive to The Baghdad Mail Centre as a Thermonuclear explosion due in that city in the near future should wipe any information of the disk indefinitly.

sc0ut
28-02-2003, 11:06 AM
drop it in grannys cofin, you'll never see it again (better if she is cremated)

Archibald
28-02-2003, 11:10 AM
> I was thinking you should send the harddrive to The
> Baghdad Mail Centre as a Thermonuclear explosion due
> in that city in the near future should wipe any
> information of the disk indefinitly.

Maybe we can all send our unwanted harddrives there (the ones that we need to keep secret from every one that is).

Jams
28-02-2003, 11:13 AM
nah scrap the Baghad mail idea, u will more than likley get the HDD back with a stamp on it saying "please return to sender"

Archibald
28-02-2003, 11:21 AM
So reckon Granny's coffin idea would be the option of the week then?

robo
28-02-2003, 12:29 PM
:^O:^O:^O

The fork method sounds like fun. I am going to do an 840Mb on this weekend to see what happens.

robo.

robo
28-02-2003, 12:44 PM
And another thing (boy, PoWa, you've really captured my imagination, and others from what I can see).

At the risk of sounding rude.

You want a way to utterly destroy all data on a disk, so that someone spending thousands on electron microscopes and forensics couldn't find it, and yet:

- you are prepared to believe suggestions on a forum populated by complete strangers of dubious knowledge and ability (no offence, people, and I include myself in this group);
- you don't think fdisk, format, and refilling the data is good enough;
- destruction is not acceptable;
- and you want it to be free?

Well, I am not going to be rude. Here goes.

Put the hard disk in liquid nitrogen, or your freezer, then sit it in front of the heater. Then wave a large magnet on it, Nature's Window has a good one. Take the hard drive to the shop so you don't have to buy it. Then place it in a centrifuge for a while (put your washing maching on a spin cycle).

Then install NT on it, format the partition as NTFS, and if it doesn't let you, you know it has a problem.

Then take it back and get it replaced under warranty.

That should do it. Enjoy.
robo.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Quite honestly, selling it on Trademe to Joe Bloggs, I dont think they're gonna care what you had on it.

Format it twice, and then if they decide to take it to computer forensics, its gonna cost them a few hundred odd dollars to find the stuff that's on your HDD that's got potentially worthless information on there for them.

A friend bought a laptop from an auction, it used to belong to a security company AFAIK, and they'd simply used FDISK and deleted the partitions and then created two, splitting the HDD in half.

They figured you'd format it for them, unless they did format it first, but the Rep. I spoke to said he didnt think they had.

I seriously wouldnt bother, nobody who buys your HDD is really gonna care that yuo used to saev your MSN/ICQ chats and will pay a good couple of hundred dollars to find out that your friend bob has a crush on sally etc. ;-)

You see the point?

Personally, format it a few times and you should be peachy.

If you have a look around, I think you can do format /? and it'll give you a list of options, one I think is a format, without human intervention, so make a .bat file that'll do that 10 times and leave your PC on overnight?!

I wouldnt worry too much though.

Chilling_Silence

PoWa
28-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Ok I have had a look at a few solutions, that Steve posted a link to. The solutions to my problem are either 'killdisk pro' or 'dataeraser pro'.

killdisk pro is available from http://www.killdisk.com
and dataeraser is available from http://www.ontrack.com/dataeraser/

OnTrack have made a personal and a professional version of their dataeraser program. Unfortunately their pro version is the only one that will allow multiple overwrites of each cluster on the HDD. Take a guess at the price... $500us. Uh..noway.

Active@ have their 'killdisk pro' solution which is about $30us , and it would do the same job as dataeraser, so I guess I'll have to get that.

Its amazing how many people decided to post on this thread, quite funnny actually- 38posts. :) Thanks for all your input guys and top marks to Steve for the best solution :) I think the rest of you hard drive bashers/burners need to think about conserving your money :D

tweak\'e
28-02-2003, 02:19 PM
just remember the more times you overwrite the disk the HARDER it gets for someone to recover info. how far you go all depends on how sentitive the info stored is. the only true way to get rid of the data is to destroy the drive.

Graham L
28-02-2003, 02:59 PM
The US military preocedure to dispose of hard disk drives containing "classified" data was to drive a tracked vehicle over them, then burn them. (This was in the 60s and 70s, and the drives were big enough (fridge size or bigger) to be flattened. I suspect that modern 3.5" drives would just be pressed into the ground). ;-) .

Burroughs, while they didn't mind selling replacement disk drives, were also taxpayers, so they suggested that there might be cheaper ways. The standard which was accepted was based on overwriting all sectors with "random" data 7 times.

You could do this without a programme (whether it costs thousands or tens of dollars.) A two line script would do it in *nix.

It depends how paranoid you are. If your secrets are so valuable (or embarrassing) that you want absolute destruction of the data, you must be such a good target that the information will have been in the hands of the black hats long ago. :D

robo
28-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Until the '90s you just needed a heavy truck to drive PAST the hard drive, within about 20 feet, and the drive would crash. Driving over it seems pretty unnecessary. I remember "acclimatising" disks for 48hours in the computer room before we turned them on.
robo.

Dylan
28-02-2003, 03:25 PM
i still stand by my method, high temp incineration.

Even better if you have a alkyne (alkanes should do - propane, butane) tank (C2nH2n) with blow torch which can reach heats in excess of 1500 degrees.

Simply aim at hdd and ignite. The job should be done in about a minute and if you really want you can keep the molten metal as a orniment.

somebody
28-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Why is everybody going away from what PoWa really wanted answered? It's turned into a place for people who like burning/smashing/running over/posting to Iraq/electrocuting to share their ideas.

I also think that you (PoWa) can't possibly have any information on your hard drive which is so valuable, so important, and so confidential that you need to make sure people won't try to find it (with an electron microscope!!!). Just do a few low-level formats (from the BIOS), FDISK it a few times, format it a few times, and you should be fine.

somebody
28-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Just another idea for people to try:

If you really want to have the pleasure of destroying the drive physically, take it down to your local Clay-Target shooting range, fire the drive with their machine, and shoot at it till your heart's content with your favourite gun.

Billy T
28-02-2003, 03:43 PM
The real problem John, was your paranoia.

It blinded you to the ultimate futility of your quest, and the more obdurate you became, the more posts were put up taking the mickey out of you. We are a pretty friendly lot here on F1 and we like to have fun once in a while. Not only that, there was always a chance that you would tell us what the big secret was.

It was entertaining while it lasted. It is really quite ironic that you are now going to use a system that will still leave traces of your data available to forensic detection by electron microscopes etc. or maybe we've been had :O but either way it brightened up a quiet Friday and I hope you don't take any of this personally. :8|

Cheers

Graham L
28-02-2003, 03:43 PM
somebody: your (non-firearm) suggestions won't do it. FDISK alters less than one sector. "low level formats" are no better than normal writes. ("fast" formats, probably the default these days, don't write anything).

agent
28-02-2003, 04:40 PM
> it brightened up a quiet Friday

Wasn't it a Thursday evening?

exLL
28-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Just a few points:

1. Once you have erased everything, how will you be absolutely sure that all traces have really gone? I'll bet you will always have that nagging doubt, is it really all gone. ?:|

2. One day your hard drive will fail. :-( When that happens, the postings in this column will give you plenty of options on how to destroy it, so that you can finally have peace of mind in case all was not totally erased the first time.

3. In the meantime, until you have erased all, it would pay you to review your personal security situation, as computers do get stolen during burglaries these days. Imagine how you would feel. :-(

Cheers. :)

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2003, 02:29 PM
With Partition Magic (Im using 7), you can rerase a partition 'securely', and it means you cannot perform an un-delete.

Try doing that a few times, by putting the HDD in as a secondary drive!

PoWa
01-03-2003, 04:53 PM
I went with the killdisk. I didn't know Partition magic has that feature.

Anyway, killdisk does a wipe that conforms to the DoD 220 22-M or something standard. Which means for each pass, it rewrites every cluster as 0x00 then 0xFF then some random variable. Also I can specify how many passes I want it to do on the drive.

I selected 30ish (exact number withheld so men in black suits don't know what level of overwriting to recover to) :D Effectively thats 30x3 = 90ish overwrites. Good luck trying to recover that! :D

It takes a while though. its only done 2passes in 12hours on a 5400rpm 20gig drive.

Anyway if anyone wants this software in future, e.g if you want to give your old hard drive away or sell it, email me and I'll give you my copy. Hope you all had fun guys, and had a laugh at my paranoia ;) I do :)

Baldy
01-03-2003, 05:24 PM
> I went with the killdisk. I didn't know Partition
> magic has that feature.
>
> Anyway, killdisk does a wipe that conforms to the DoD
> 220 22-M or something standard. Which means for each
> pass, it rewrites every cluster as 0x00 then 0xFF
> then some random variable. Also I can specify how
> many passes I want it to do on the drive.
>
> I selected 30ish (exact number withheld so men in
> black suits don't know what level of overwriting to
> recover to) :D Effectively thats 30x3 = 90ish
> overwrites. Good luck trying to recover that! :D
>
> It takes a while though. its only done 2passes in
> 12hours on a 5400rpm 20gig drive.
>
> Anyway if anyone wants this software in future, e.g
> if you want to give your old hard drive away or sell
> it, email me and I'll give you my copy. Hope you all
> had fun guys, and had a laugh at my paranoia ;) I do
> :)

Have you been a naughty boy with your file sharing then.

cappuccino
01-03-2003, 09:07 PM
> - you are prepared to believe suggestions on a forum
> populated by complete strangers of dubious knowledge
> and ability

By the same score, whilst you guys are bending over backwards to help a complete stranger to destroy what might just possibly be incriminating evidence, Im asking myself if Id want him living next door to my kids. ?:|

aroc
02-03-2003, 01:15 AM
You guys should lighten up a little. I bet Powa just wants to maintain his right to privacy and start afresh. I would wager that just about every computer in the country has some sort of illegal thing on their computer. Whether it be in breach of license agreements or piracy or even things more serious. Surely most people have downloaded an mp3 or have unlicensed software on their computers. But who the hell cares? If the police raided every house with a computer, they would have to put everyone in prison.

This is why people are starting to use encryption these days, its not because all of them are terrorists or anything, they just want some privacy. Its no wonder, with NZ just recently passing laws that will allow a $15mil upgrade for ISP's so the spy agencies can work more effectively in tracking sms,phones, internet etc.

So the same goes for privacy of data on a hard drive. Nothing illegal about wiping a hard drive and why should anyone question why someone would need to wipe their drive? Nor should people refuse to help someone out on a public forum because they want to destroy some 1s and 0s. Your the sort of person that would want cameras in every household for security purposes. And finally if your so worried about if your next door neighbour is a peodophile or something, why not tell the police, or storm his house and see if he's wiping his hard drive or something.

roofus
02-03-2003, 09:37 AM
If you have norton system works use the wipe info option on it. it says it does a governmental wipe

Baldy
02-03-2003, 09:40 AM
> You guys should lighten up a little.

I'm so light, I'm floating round the room

>I bet Powa just wants to maintain his right to privacy and start
afresh.

Yeah sure, thats why he wants to REALLY wipe his hard drive several times so the men in black suits can't pounce on him. 99.9999% of people just reformatt LOL

>I would wager that just about every computer
> in the country has some sort of illegal thing on
> their computer. Whether it be in breach of license
> agreements or piracy or even things more serious.

Yeah sure. MP3s maybe, but stuff you can get locked up for no. I'm not a pervert, so maybe I'm just assuming that others who use this forum aren't either. Call me puritanical LOL

> Surely most people have downloaded an mp3 or have
> unlicensed software on their computers. But who the
> hell cares? If the police raided every house with a
> computer, they would have to put everyone in prison.

For a MP3....... Prison? I thought this was NewZealand

> Your the sort of person that would
> want cameras in every household for security
> purposes. And finally if your so worried about if
> your next door neighbour is a peodophile or
> something, why not tell the police, or storm his
> house and see if he's wiping his hard drive or
> something.

Hey, for someone who is making his first post and giving us a lecture on lightening up etc at the same time, you have posted a very heavy rant yourself. But you will see I took your advise and made a joke of everything you said. Thats just me lightening up dude

roofus
02-03-2003, 09:46 AM
maybe this powa guy is infact this guy (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2300242a11,00.html)
and while he has been convicted he has more information, that he wants to hide so that he can't get in more trouble.

Billy T
02-03-2003, 09:54 AM
LOL Baldy :^O

Hey Aroc, no offence intended but you showing serious signs of incipient paranoia yourself.

Cheers

Quote: "Only those who have something to hide
need worry what others may find." Billy T, 2003. :D :D :D

Baldy
02-03-2003, 10:13 AM
> maybe this powa guy is infact
> this guy (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2300242a11,00
> html)
> and while he has been convicted he has more
> information, that he wants to hide so that he can't
> get in more trouble.

Good point Roofus. I like the comment by the judge:
suggested he spend his 100 hours community service teaching the disadvantaged IT skills We know what skills LOL

Billy T
02-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Ummm........Fellas

I know you jest, but if he was "that guy" I sincerely doubt he would need our advice, and in that situation he wouldn't balk at destroying an HDD.

Unless incredibly stupid of course.

Cheers

cappuccino
02-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Your the sort of person that would
> want cameras in every household for security
> purposes. And finally if your so worried about if
> your next door neighbour is a peodophile or
> something, why not tell the police, or storm his
> house and see if he's wiping his hard drive or
> something.

I find this reaction somewhat over the top to say the least. Have I hit a raw nerve Aroc?

Graham L
02-03-2003, 02:07 PM
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not trying to get you".

I'd do something like dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda bs=1024k count=4096if I had a disk that big, and I wanted it to be wiped. If I wanted it thoroughly wiped I would repeat that a couple of times.

PoWa
02-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Just to set the record straight, I am not into anything illegal, sick, or perverted. I despise such things and I am offended that you would acuse me of anything like that because I want to erase my hard drive.

In case you didn't notice, I was joking about the Men in Black suits etc. But hey, lets all abuse someone for a joke they made!

I'm surprised you can't get done for piracy in NZ. You can get fined $50000 for copying a movie, so I can't see why you wouldn't get fined big time for having a few hundred megs of illegal mp3.

Also if 99.9999% of everyone reformats they're hard drive, then I'm glad because I must be one of a thousand or so with a high IQ.

This will be my last post in this thread, because it is mainly pointless now, and I'm not going to try convince some hard heads that it is a good idea to erase the data on your HDD. I hope some of you get whats coming to you, and when you sell your hard drives one day, the person you sold it to, will uncover the data there and make some trouble for you.

roofus
02-03-2003, 02:43 PM
> I hope some of you get
> whats coming to you, and when you sell your hard
> drives one day, the person you sold it to, will
> uncover the data there and make some trouble for you.

LOL what trouble could they make if you live by the law?

Baldy
02-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Hear Hear Roofus

PoWa: Seriously, how many people who buy a secondhand hard-drive through Trademe, are going to use forensic diagnosis to uncover the last minute trace of detail? Mostly, they will just install, format and start using the jolly thing! Get real

BALDY:-)

Dylan
02-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Now now lets not get tacky

I thought this was a help forum and all im seeing is grown mature people flaming each other

Lets leave it at that

Susan B
02-03-2003, 03:53 PM
> Now now lets not get tacky
>
> I thought this was a help forum and all im seeing is
> grown mature people flaming each other
>
> Lets leave it at that

Amen.

Please, people.....

robsonde
02-03-2003, 04:06 PM
maybe PoWa is one of the "Men in Black suits" and has to keep the UFO files safe from the public??

one person i know securly wipes there drive often and they work for the goverment, they are not doing anthing illegal, sick, or perverted but if the files they deleted got in to the hands of the wrong sort of people then it could be very bad.

Baldy
02-03-2003, 04:38 PM
> > Now now lets not get tacky
> >
> > I thought this was a help forum and all im seeing
> is
> > grown mature people flaming each other
> >
> > Lets leave it at that
>
> Amen.
>
> Please, people.....

Isn't this a forum?

aroc
02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Alrighty, heres what happens to your hard dries when you sell them,

have a read here:

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=110&xlc=929443

After reading that, anyone in their right minds should understand why it is justifiable to erase your hard drive. Cheers.

Billy T
02-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Funny that ?:|

I didn't notice any flaming going on. I did read some pointed comments that were in all probability accurately targetted, and I saw a few tongues planted firmly in cheeks. :p

The thread meandered down a few sideroads too, but nobody spat the dummy. It probably wouldn't have lasted anywhere near as long as this if the original issue hadn't been kinda off the wall.

Erasing confidential data before selling a computer is one thing, but erasing your own data to military/governemnt security standards on a disk that you will remain in control of and continue to use is overkill in anybody's language.

And especially so when all you are going to do is fill up your disk with more of the same. :O

Cheers

Murray P
02-03-2003, 08:52 PM
On a slightly different tack to data/personal info.

I recently purchased a 2nd hand dsl modem. Being new to this technology I fully expected it would take me several attempts to set it up and get it up and running satisfactorily. Totally out of character for me I cracked it first time, I was surfing the net and checking emails in no time :-) After some time of the most enjoyable self congratulatory time spent surfing I decided to dig a little deeper into the modem settings, maybe I could tweak this baby. You know it don't you! The previous owner had neglected to reset the modem to default and their ISP account and password were still loaded into the settings. I'd been surfing under false pretenses :-(

I'm not sure if the usage would be charged to their account but, suspect it would.

So be carful with your info out there :-)

Murray P

Elephant
02-03-2003, 10:05 PM
I'm going to take a chance and answer the original question. :)

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Have a look at these links.

Clueless
03-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Personally i think a burning bag of coal helped with air blasts from the blow house of an older vaccuum cleaner could melt down any HDD rendering it not only unreadible, but difficult to seperate from the dregs of the ash.....

Enviromentally unfreindly perhaps, but sounds like fun doesn't it? Opening it up with a large precision hammer, and placing coal dust through the drive would be a great prep for this total secure methord of ereasing the drive.

:D

Clueless

Elephant
03-03-2003, 05:33 AM
An ordinary power drill will do the job too.

Not nearly as much fun as your idea though. :)

billa
03-03-2003, 10:21 AM
put it in your house hold fireplace.
then throw it up in the air quite high onto your concrete driveway and no one will be able to get _anything_ from it.

i.e. http://www.nevada.net.nz/gallery/destruction

Thomas
03-03-2003, 10:41 AM
<>put it in your house hold fireplace.
then throw it up in the air quite high onto your concrete driveway and no one will be able to get _anything_ from it.<>

Or you could put it in your pocket,row out to sea to say a 1000 fathoms,then put hole in boat,the outcome of that would make it hard to read!Just a thought.

Jams
03-03-2003, 01:00 PM
ahhhh come on people, let the love flow!!!!!!

LET THE LOVE FLOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Clueless
03-03-2003, 01:18 PM
What do you mean?

Secure Destruction of a hard drive by letting "THE LOVE FLOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW" ?

That sounds like a scary disfunctional relationship of the worst kind!

But would the HDD be totally destroyed or would it one day be able to function again?
Would it be a drama pathetic & twisted enough for Daytime TV?

Right now i'm starting to feel sorry/worried for this poor innocent HDD!

.Clueless

Jams
03-03-2003, 01:43 PM
> What do you mean?
>
> Secure Destruction of a hard drive by letting "THE
> LOVE FLOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW" ?

people were just gettin a bit uptight about the situation, thats all, just.

:D :p

wintertide
03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
The most fun way to destroy a hard drive would definitely be using a chisel to scratch into the platters while the HDD is on (and you are wearing safety glasses of course). Optional is wearing earmuffs because 2 metals contacting at 5400 or 7200 rpm will cause a lot of noise...