PDA

View Full Version : Barcode scanning

kiwiwiseman
26-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Help, help, help!
Hi there lovely people
I am a student and have as an assignment to write an assignment on barcode scanning.
I have found lots on the subject from an advertising point of view but not too much about the technical side as well as anything on the history of this system.
I am actually attempting to find information on a particular system used by Hastings Pak-N-Save called shop and go.
Any information or links would be appreciated. Sales manager for Pak-N-Save has been of great assistance but I do not want to over stay my welcome by asking more and more questions.
Help, help, help!

Baldy
26-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi,

I got this link off Google (typed in Shop and Go Scanning)

http://www.symbol.com/uk/Solutions/case_study_safeway.html

Hope it is along the lines of what you are after

BALDY:-)

-=JM=-
26-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Are you wanting to know about the scanning of barcodes. Or how they came with the barcode method and the different types of barcodes that are available.

I did an assignment related to barcodes somehow last year. I can try and dig that up and see what resources I used if you like.

Babe Ruth
26-02-2003, 10:30 PM
kiwiwiseman,

Try using GOOGLE search with the strings "shop and go" "bar" "scan" there are a number of hits of relevence there.
e.g. ShopnGo1 (homepages.feis.herts.ac.uk/~2COM0002/ Current/Notes/usecasenotes.doc) ShopnGo2 (www.superquinn.ie/whats_new/press_room/ hot_off_the_press_new_swords.html) ShopnGo3 (www.cs.herts.ac.uk/~2com0002/uml/uml1.html)

etc...

Good luck
Cheers, Babe.

drys
26-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Kiwiwiseman. A little bit on the barcode itself N Z mainly use the EAN system 13 digits made up of Flag 94 or 93 then product code check digit pricing code then end digit it is an logarithm calculation also if you have something weighed then barcode produced then the flag is 02 then product code eg 01127 then price check digit or PCD which comes after the two longer lines in the center of barcode usually referred to the prison bars, then price eg 180 then end digit again calculation of all digits eg 6 Which would look like this
0201127001806 each digit is made up of three elements two different thickness lines and the gap between them which the scanner picks up.
Hope this helps
Trev

kiwiwiseman
28-02-2003, 01:06 AM
That would be great if you could.
I am trying to put together an assignment where a technology has made a major difference in the industry, saving money and time.
It was just because I noticed these scanners in Hastings that I thought what a great idea. Regretting my choice a little now, BUT still need to climb the mountain and finish my assignment.
So if you do have some links to resources that would be awesome.