PDA

View Full Version : XP Installation errors

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2003, 08:21 PM
I keep getting errors within XP Intallation. It happens if I do a clean install, or an upgrade from 2K.
I cant install Redhat 8, Mandrake 9, or Lycoris, as they all freeze just after looking at the HDD size or something...

Anyways, XP freezes at 39Mins remaining. It will sit there for a wee while on it (Im just waiting for it to re-create the error), and I dunno what its doing - HDD light going hard!

Ah, here it is:

Fatal Error
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

Press OS to view the Setup log file.

Now, Ive played around with partitions and stuff.. no joy at all!

Its currently on NTFS (I think its done its convert.. was on FAT32) but Ive tried Fat 32, NTFS, Ext3, No partitions... u name it!

Any ideas? Im stumped!

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Lohsing
23-02-2003, 08:32 PM
I had this problem on a Duron system I was trying to set up... it came down to over-heating problem causing a dead hard drive. Alternatively it could be faulty ram.

Try it with different ram.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2003, 08:48 PM
BTW - The stuff in the background about how great XP is still rolls on, and the setup log file says:

Error:
SXS.DLL:O Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROL\CONT ROLS.MAN" on line 4

Error:
Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continues setup could not be installed,

The repuest could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Error:
SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4.

Error:
Installation Failed d:\I385\asms. Error Message: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

And it does this a few times over..

*Whew, what a lot of typing errors.. with Caps and everything :D*

HTH

Chilling_Silence

billa
23-02-2003, 10:12 PM
your CD (XP Install CD) is scratched. your cdrom can not read from it at that point. that is what the I/O error is.

try someone elses? or try a CD Lense cleaner kit which you can score from lots of places from kmart -> dick smith.

(please dont flame me - im not encouraging pirating)

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Hmm.... there is a minute scratch, but that's always been there and Ive used it with other PC's fine.

Anything else it may be? RAM wasnt it, as I replaced that and still no go :(

Big John
24-02-2003, 08:54 AM
I had the same problem and mine will only install if I actually boot from the installation CD. If I boot from anything else then it wont install.

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2003, 09:31 AM
I boot from CD - Upgrade from 98 or 2K, Clean install from 2K to dual boot the two, but nothing?

I dunno why the three Linux distro's freeze too... I wouldnt mind if I could get them to go!

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Well, I was chatting to Tweak'e who suggested I check the BIOS settings:
PCI IDE Channel 2 was set to Disabled.. Enabled and Im installing RedHat now:-)

Dunno what that does though? Why did 2K and 98 work then?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

REInvestor
10-12-2005, 05:34 AM
Had the same problem and found this page while "Googling". Turned out to be a problem with the CD. Luckily, I had a backup and I am now past the 39 minutes remaining barrier. If you are having the same problem, I suggest you find and burn another XP Pro CD and try again.

Prescott
10-12-2005, 09:45 AM
looks like you have reinvested a thread dating back to 2003 :rolleyes:

Metla
10-12-2005, 09:49 AM
And there I was thinking Chilli had come back over to the Evil Empirre, But nay, He stays with the Gypsies, Claiming they are on the golden path, but unable to find it.... :D