PDA

View Full Version : Humour on PressF1

dot_com
22-02-2003, 05:48 PM
OK, I have followed Billy T's advice to reflect in one of my more "quiet moments"

Obviously, due to the fact you have to serve some sort of apprenticehip in PressF1, to enable you to post a few witty quips, I will retire from the forum until such time as I have memorised PC For Dummies cover to cover.

Why's everyone round here so fragile? This forum used to be fun, now everyones treading on egg shells

JJJJJ
22-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Here Here!!!!

Susan B
22-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Everyone's humour is different, dot com. I guess that you do have to "serve some sort of apprenticehip in PressF1 to enable you to post a few witty quips" because until people are reasonably familiar with you they do not know if you are joking or not.

The regulars here can be pretty dry to the other regulars and get away with it because they have been around a long time, command a lot of respect and people know them. If you said the same things to me as godfather or Billy T does I would not be at all amused because I do not know you as I do them.

This forum did used to be fun, a lot more fun, and while humour is always welcome there needs to be a line drawn when it comes to "wit" that could be taken as a personal insult.

Chilling_Silence
22-02-2003, 07:19 PM
>
> The regulars here can be pretty dry to the other
> regulars and get away with it because they have been
> around a long time, command a lot of respect and
> people know them.

Who me??? ;-) :p

beetle
22-02-2003, 07:19 PM
surely its better to laugh with someone than at someone?

and most people are able to laugh, laughter is said to make you a happeir healthier person.

and my motto is if you cant take it, then dont give it, and that covers all of life.
and i like a good joke as well as the next person.

no offense.

Beetle

Chilling_Silence
22-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I gifure with humor, there's always gonna be somebody you offend.
That's the great thing about being human is that we are so diverse.

Dont worry though, rather than be offended, take it with a pinch of salt and move on with life.

Hakuna Matata

Billy T
22-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Very true Susan :|

I think that the point dot com has missed is that sarcasm is not wit, and neither are caustic comments. However, the difference between humour that may be misinterpreted as sarcasm, and acceptable licence can be as simple as the addition of an appropriate emoticon, perhaps ]:) or :D.

It is the pointless posts that just take digs at people that colour this Forum at the moment, and if new arrivals stuck to offering advice until they got the flavour of the board, things would be a lot friendlier. Nobody goes to a party where they know nobody and just starts making cracks at the expense of others. If they did they would soon be told their presence is not welcome. Strong language or even stronger actions might follow!

Press F1 is a lot friendlier than that, but all posters, new or old are entitled to a modicum of courtesy. I note that it is those who start by attacking others who usually spit the dummy and take off when their attitudes are questioned. It is a real shame when that happens because we then lose people who could be of great help to others.

In the meantime, I'll stick around because there is sombody new every day, and that means there are new friends to be made and new knowledge to share and learn from.

Cheers

Billy :D

beetle
22-02-2003, 07:59 PM
OOOOPS

ok best put foot in my mouth now

Beetle

agent
22-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Huh? Humour? What about it? I remember my attempt at humour, way back in Dec. Wasn't very good. I was thrashed on my first day.

TonyF
22-02-2003, 08:11 PM
>
> Press F1 is a lot friendlier than that, but all
> posters, new or old are entitled to a modicum of
> courtesy.

Well said Billy. PressF1 is indeed a much better bunch than the sling-off folk who appear in nz.comp .

The majority of writers do indeed try to assist others - it takes only a few to alter the tone..

Cheers TonyF

E.ric
22-02-2003, 08:20 PM
>
> Why's everyone round here so fragile? This forum used
> to be fun, now everyone's treading on egg shells
>

Is that why my F1 fuse blew the other week, Maybe I should try a delay fuse this time. :)

And have a happy day, someone has too.

Chilling_Silence
22-02-2003, 08:33 PM
>
> And have a happy day, someone has too.
>
>

Okay, I got dibs on monday then.. I dont do mondays...

... Or tuesdays come to think of it...

...wednesday..

...add thursday to the list...

...friday's okay if Ive got something good for the evening planned....

;-)

dot_com
22-02-2003, 09:11 PM
> I note that it is those who start by
> attacking others who usually spit the dummy and take
> off when their attitudes are questioned. It is a
> real shame when that happens because we then lose
> people who could be of great help to others.

Yes, even though you were questioning my attitude Billy, I am not spitting the dummy and leaving.

Just retiring to a quieter place, where I can hone up on my humour skills and learn up on making those little icon/emotcon thingees, so the humourless might know when I am leg pulling. ;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

Those emotcons ARE fun!

TonyF
22-02-2003, 09:34 PM
> Just retiring to a quieter place, where I can hone up
> on my humour skills and learn up on making those
> little icon/emotcon thingees, so the humourless might
> know when I am leg pulling.
> ;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)
>
> Those emotcons ARE fun!

Perhaps this it what irritates folk who sought help. A smart-alec reply (not that yours are) even with emoticons may not be as useful as plain old help.
Tony

cappuccino
22-02-2003, 10:00 PM
IMHO if you admit to sticking your finger in a live electric socket you have set yourself up for a bit of playful fun-poking from all directions, and if Roofus has an ounce of humour in his bones he will recognise this. Yes? :D :D Some of you seem to be under the misconception that people who only post occasionally, are new to the forum. Being a regular reader I don’t consider myself to be a stranger although this is only my 6th posting. B-)

Besides, who knows who on this Forum? I bet some folk here have enough identities, to put Trudi Chase to shame! :O

And before you ask....... I am NOT dot.com in disguise! ]:)

Hope my use of emoticons is satisfactory to all.

Lohsing
22-02-2003, 10:04 PM
> Huh? Humour? What about it? I remember my attempt at
> humour, way back in Dec. Wasn't very good. I was
> thrashed on my first day.

Hehe... I think I actually remember that post! ;)

Baldy
22-02-2003, 11:57 PM
>
> Just retiring to a quieter place, where I can hone up
> on my humour skills and learn up on making those
> little icon/emotcon thingees, so the humourless might
> know when I am leg pulling.
> ;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)
>
> Those emotcons ARE fun!
>
>

I'll give you a nice quiet place to sit in my Haggis factory. We go in for the leg pulling down here, especially to stop you as you are rolling down Baldwin St

BALDY:-)

DUNK
23-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Sounds like Dot Com's one of the Kerr brothers ....Probably Wayne !!
Oh brother ....Am I in it now !!!

roofus
23-02-2003, 08:24 AM
cccaaannn'ttttttt tttyyyypppeee pprrrooopppeerrrllllllyyyyyyy tthhhheeee elleeeecccttrrriiccciittyyy iss stttilll jjjjummmpppinnnggggggg arrrounnndd mmmyyyy bbboooddddyyyy.

Thomas
23-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Humour will not be permitted unless okayed by our two arbiters of jest.

Thomas
23-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Humour will not be permitted unless okayed by our two arbiters of jest.

Pibs
23-02-2003, 09:08 AM
ROOFUS LANGUAGE!!!!!!
To ALL Press F1 subscribers, I feel the vibes are just right as they have been in the past, if somebody has stepped out of line one of the elders(Godfathers---Chilling Silence----Susan Bs etc) have stepped in to maintain the standard. Feeling a bit out of my depth I only write when necessary but feel the whole atmosphere very congenial and safe,hence the reason that I recommend the site to others, keep it up a bit of humour and a lot of really helpful and friendly advice.

Pibs

Baldy
23-02-2003, 09:24 AM
> Sounds like Dot Com's one of the Kerr brothers
> ....Probably Wayne !!
> Oh brother ....Am I in it now !!!

I haven't posted here for a long time, and now I know why. Dunk, I see you posted that comment at 1.23am. You are either drunk or stoned

Jen C
23-02-2003, 09:33 AM
> cccaaannn'ttttttt tttyyyypppeee
> pprrrooopppeerrrllllllyyyyyyy tthhhheeee
> elleeeecccttrrriiccciittyyy iss stttilll
> jjjjummmpppinnnggggggg arrrounnndd mmmyyyy
> bbboooddddyyyy.

Jeepers Roofus, you just made me choke on my cornies :D:D

Whilst your hair may still be standing on end, good to see your sense of humour is still intact.

Baldy
23-02-2003, 09:49 AM
> ROOFUS LANGUAGE!!!!!!
> To ALL Press F1 subscribers, I feel the vibes are
> just right as they have been in the past, if somebody
> has stepped out of line one of the
> elders(Godfathers---Chilling Silence----Susan Bs etc)
> have stepped in to maintain the standard.

Things HAVE changed. I didn't realise the Chilling_Silence was a elder. I thought he was fresh out of school. Must be all the rays coming out of the PC monitor that have prematurely aged him LOL

As far as people being brought into line, this is a public open forum and its free speech. No offense, but I don't think Godfather, Susan or anyone else has the the right to pull anyone into line. The only time someone should be brought into line in a public forum is when they use unacceptable language or humiliate another member.

My opinion on the topic of this thread is there are a few people here who have very little humour and need to live a little. Up to a month or so ago, there was always something to bring a smile to my face when I read PressF!, now its very hard to find anything particularly funny anymore. Never mind, I will keep the faith and stay reading.

BALDY:-)

Thomas
23-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Well said Baldy,but there are always those amongst us that like to boss us around,including there pal Helen.:

Clark

Baldy
23-02-2003, 10:48 AM
LOL, don't talk about Queen Helen like that......... she might have you beheaded LOL LOL

Dolby Digital
23-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Lifes too short to be too serious... :D

tedheath
23-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Yes dot is right if you are under 500 posts and you try to be funny you will get your ass fried.

Cheers
Tedheath

JJJJJ
23-02-2003, 02:21 PM
My understanding is that PressF1 is a forum for getting and giving help.
It seems to me that ,instead it has been h--jacked by a few would-be commedians. The trouble is that they are not remotely funny. If they and their stupid emoticons (Who dreamed that up?) would shut up we might return to the original purpose.
And if you think I am getting abusive. I am!
Jack.

Graham L
23-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Humour helps. It is not a good idea to take computers or their software too seriously.

But it isn't funny to call someone an "idiot" or "brain addled", publicly. Personal abuse is offensive. It is made worse when it spreads through other threads.

If you don't like emoticons, Jack, that's fine. You don't have to use them. But they can help to indicate that something said lightly is meant lightly, and avoid misunderstandings. I think I sense your mood. ;-)

Thomas
23-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Jack,why is that such a serious and humourless person would follow a humour thread,can't you kick your dog or something.:x

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2003, 03:10 PM
> > ROOFUS LANGUAGE!!!!!!
> > To ALL Press F1 subscribers, I feel the vibes are
> > just right as they have been in the past, if
> somebody
> > has stepped out of line one of the
> > elders(Godfathers---Chilling Silence----Susan Bs
> etc)
> > have stepped in to maintain the standard.
>
> Things HAVE changed. I didn't realise the
> Chilling_Silence was a elder. I thought he was fresh
> out of school. Must be all the rays coming out of the
> PC monitor that have prematurely aged him LOL
>

;-) Yeah.. that's what ma name says.. It says Im growing old and my face has so many wrinkles I cant see past my nose...
Im actually 16, been homeschooled for the past 6 odd years since I was 10 I think.. and yes, Ive been with PC's since I was about 4 playing with a C64 which I wrote my first game on at the age of 7! I have worked at a Cyber Cafe, and also worked at IDG until recently. I dont consider myself an elder of anything, let alone this forum. I KNOW that I am one of the more regular posters, although I havent been posting quite so much, Ive been looking for a job since before IDG were unable to renew my contract. I am positive that I know enough about PC's, and went for an interview for an international travelling IS Support Job a few days ago, and they said the likelyness of my getting the job was good. I will see. I hardly think Im an elder, but I do know a lot, and so I like to post my knowledge and thoughts/comments on things here. Its become a hobbie for me.
As for my monitor.. I think its faulty coz the clarity around the edges begins to fade when its been on for a few hours.

> As far as people being brought into line, this is a
> public open forum and its free speech. No offense,
> but I don't think Godfather, Susan or anyone else has
> the the right to pull anyone into line.

Well, I think they are seen as respected mebers of the forum with much knowledge, but ultimately,its up to the mods to stop people, kick them out, or lock the thread etc... This doesnt worry me, as they know their job!

> The only time
> someone should be brought into line in a public forum
> is when they use unacceptable language or humiliate
> another member.

As does happen...

>
> My opinion on the topic of this thread is there are a
> few people here who have very little humour and need
> to live a little. Up to a month or so ago, there was
> always something to bring a smile to my face when I
> read PressF!, now its very hard to find anything
> particularly funny anymore. Never mind, I will keep
> the faith and stay reading.

Yeah, but without humor to this forum, It would become dull and boring simly having question after question... debates and news and things and even the OT posts are what help keep me coming back, as my post count would show :p

Dont worry if you go through a patch where you take wanna break from Pf1, I took a week off several weeks ago but began having withdrawls (;-)) so anyways...

That's my 2cents worth

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2003, 03:12 PM
> Jack,why is that such a serious and humourless person
> would follow a humour thread,can't you kick your dog
> or something.:x

My brother tried dropping a cat out a second story window when he was about 4... I dont think it likes it.

BTW - What dog is it? Like the one on the Productfinder.co.nz ad to the right?

;-) :D :p

Thomas
23-02-2003, 03:21 PM
BTW - What dog is it? Like the one on the Productfinder.co.nz ad to the right?

Thats the one.

How do you get quote to change colour?

JJJJJ
23-02-2003, 03:32 PM
> Jack,why is that such a serious and humourless person
> would follow a humour thread,can't you kick your dog
> or something.

I am neither serious or humourless. If you want to change this forum into a home for inane prattle go ahead. Perhaps you could suggest another Forum for me,where serious questions are answered seriously.
I haven't got a dog to kick. On the pension this govt. hands out I can't afford a computer and a dog. Can I come and kick yours?
Jack

Billy T
23-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Jack

All serious threads are followed seriously unless hijacked.

Following humourous threads is optional, voluntary reading abrogates the right to complain.

Humour is very personal, if a comedian can get some of his audience to laugh at all of his jokes or all of his audience to laugh at some of his jokes he is doing well.

If PF1 was populated entirely by humourless people I wouldn't bother to come here anymore, I get all the seriousness I need earning my living.

Balance is needed in all things however and the only compulsory requirements on PF1 should be politeness and good manners.

Ignore what you don't like Jack and revel in that which you do. It makes life so much more satisfying. No offence intended, but from the tone of your posts and the attitudes you seem to support, I would never want to be like you and I guess you would probably say the same about me.

The difference between us is that I am happy to let you get on with being you. ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Thomas
23-02-2003, 03:59 PM
So you are serious,wanting serious forum,try just not clicking on anything mentioning humour,although I see you nearly made a joke about my dog.

I reckon it's all the governments fault.

Lohsing
23-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Can't we all just "get along" ...? :)

I personally would hate for this site to become sterile and boring. My job does fulfills that part of my life quite fine.

Also, just read the comments made to Roofus about the electricity, etc... Fail to see how that was meant to be "sarcastic" or "joking" ... thought it was a bit uncalled for actually. To his (hers??) credit, at least dot_com has tried to apologise for it in this thread, albeit saying it was meant to be humour.

Did I get the gist of it correctly?

Lo.

Baldy
23-02-2003, 05:09 PM
and I think the comments regarding the gumboots were supposed to be to do if they saved his life by grounding him. Thats what I took it to mean anyway.

But maybe Roofus never saw the subtle humour in it?

Baldy
23-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Maybe IDG should just ban humour on this forum. Humour and geeks obviously don't go together

Lohsing
23-02-2003, 05:12 PM
> and I think the comments regarding the gumboots were
> supposed to be to do if they saved his life by
> grounding him. Thats what I took it to mean anyway.
>
> But maybe Roofus never saw the subtle humour in it?

Yeah, I understood that part, but can't see where Roofus had a go back at him. I mean, for a first post from dot_com of,

"I can't work out if your name is Doofus. Geez, your must be brighter than a 250watt globe to stick your finger is the socket.

What an idiot"

I'm very surprised Roofus didn't say anything, that's all. In fact, Roofus replies to this saying, "Yes I was a retard to stick my finger in there, i'm well aware of the dangers and it was a lax in judgement. Anyway once bitten twice shy."

Anyway, just 2cents worth. Don't think calling anyone an idiot is tolerated here on PF1.

Lo.

Baldy
23-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Well it was idiotic. Wasn't it? I think plenty of people agree with dotcom on that point. I am sure Roofus won't have to go to counselling over it

Come on Lo, I have been round PressF1 long enough to know Roofus has dished out worse than that. In the context of what Roofus did, being called an idiot is pretty mild.

Lohsing
23-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Yeah, fair call... but it's not like Roofus provoked anything deserving of a personal attack.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2003, 08:04 PM
> Maybe IDG should just ban humour on this forum.
> Humour and geeks obviously don't go together

Now now, baldy. You know that IDG have said that they wont be adding anything to this forum for a while ;-)

beetle
23-02-2003, 09:55 PM
and now that every one has had their say dont you just feel so much better?

i dont think so, what a can of worms this has turned out to be.

have a nice day,
the sun will shine, birds will sing and all that crap.
:)
beetle

roofus
24-02-2003, 07:27 AM
I never bothered replying to dot coms comments because by the time i read it other people had pointed out the relevant points, and like someone else said, i've dished out stuff before, so surely I must be willing to take it back, although i suppose i was leanient this time, i don't mind getting it dished back from the people i give it to or the regulars, but whos this dot com person?

When i first came to this forum it annoyed me how there was a lot of off topic conversation, humor etc. I called for a ban, but thats where we decided to bring in the OT bit. I also now realise humor is needed to maintain the regulars here, (like myself) and the OT has sorted out the problem of reading threads that may have a bit of niggle, humor etc.

Anyway, it's a new week, lets start afresh eh!

Thomas
24-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Thank you for that Roofus,such tolerance and wisdom,one can only bow.;)

Clueless
24-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Sometimes when i'm trying to understand computers i feel like my head is going to explode.

(Wow, that's really heavy man)

However it's also true, This forum is a resource that i have used many a time to learn new skills by either reading what's here, researching and then answering what has been asked, or just plain, um, asking and hoping someone has the answer, or atleast an idea that might point me in the right direction.

A bit if sillyness from time to time makes it less likely that my head would explode, which i am told would not be a good thing.
The de-stress factor also makes it alot easyer to get my head around the serious topics!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2003, 10:08 AM
> A bit if sillyness from time to time makes it less
> likely that my head would explode, which i am told
> would not be a good thing.
> The de-stress factor also makes it alot easyer to get
> my head around the serious topics!

Now that would be a pain to clean from the monitor.. All that Blood! ;-)

Baldy
24-02-2003, 10:10 AM
> Sometimes when i'm trying to understand computers i
> feel like my head is going to explode.
>
> (Wow, that's really heavy man)

Its all those lentils.................

robo
24-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Dot_com, and others

I believe it is not humour that is the problem on F1, but the lack of humour.

Most true geeks understand that the written version of something said in jest is not always taken as it is meant.

Also, like anyone you have known for a while, you can get away with a bit of a dig without usually causing offence.

I don't think anyone deserves a large dose of the flamethrower, even if they are rude about a company or a product, if you disagree, fine. When people want help to commit an act of piracy or idiocy, it is hard not to be less than gentle with them.

We must all keep our sense of humour, and if we must introduce some, no matter how sad, it would help if it was coupled with a useful answer - if it is in a thread that needs a useful answer.

I admit I have been guilty of making light of some things myself, perhaps too often, but we do need to now and again, especially when things have turned to custard.

Here endeth the sermon. Next service is Thursday.
robo.
PS Keep it up, most of you. Things are pretty busy here but going pretty well (when the server is up, of course)

Kiwitas
24-02-2003, 08:58 PM
OK fellow PressF1'ers,

Now that nearly everyone has had their say,lets get a bit more "humour"back into place!!

Subject: Paddy
Saddam Hussein was sitting in his office wondering who to invade next
when his telephone rang.

"Hello! Mr. Hussein," a heavily-accented voice said. "This is Paddy down
in the Harp pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you
that we are officially declaring war on you."

"Well, Paddy," Saddam replied, "this is indeed important news! How big
is your army?"

"Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself,
me cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire dart team
from the pub. That makes eight!"

Saddam paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one million men in
my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begorra!", said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!"

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy called again. "Mr. Hussein, the war is
still on! We have managed to acquire some equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?", Saddam asked. "Well, we have
two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's old farm tractor."

Saddam sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks and
4,000 armored personnel carriers. I've increased my army to 1.5 million
since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!", said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Hussein, the war is
still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've modified
Harrigan's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and
four boys from the Shamrock pub have joined us as well!"

Saddam was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell
you, Paddy, that I have 1,000 bombers and 2,000 fighter planes. My
military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile
sites, and since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO MILLION!"

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph!", said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back."

Sure enough Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the mornin'
Mr.Hussein! I am sorry to tell you that we have had to call off the
war."

"I'm intrigued," said Saddam. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a few pints, and
there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2003, 09:12 PM
> Here endeth the sermon. Next service is Thursday.
> robo.

Robo.. You forgot to tell us the sermon title!
*Wonders if it'll make a good 'nap time' for thursday*

Kiwitas>
That is funny :-) I love those irish jokes (Not being racist, my best mate is part irish I think..) ;-)

Clueless
25-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Kiwitas,

I''ll pass that on to my ¼Irish partner
She'll love it!
:D

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
25-02-2003, 09:33 AM
not only is feeding them a problem, but where would you hide them from your mother?

Under the bed??

;-) :p

Thomas
25-02-2003, 09:48 AM
not only is feeding them a problem, but where would you hide them from your mother?

Under the bed??

---------------------------------------------------------
You must be Irish,I cant see how you possibly get that many people under your bed.;)

Clueless
25-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Thomus,
No problem if they are all little people.

Kiwitas,
I have forwarded the wee joke, except i thought it would be truer if i changed it from "Sudam" to "George"

.Clueless

Kiwitas
25-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi Clueless,

> I have forwarded the wee joke, except i thought it
> would be truer if i changed it from "Sudam" to
> "George"

Would have to agree with that!1 Irishman to another(trying to stay
non-racist):p

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Chilling_Silence
25-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Im sure we are s'posed to be batting for a humor filter and not spreading irish jokes! :p

E.ric
26-02-2003, 05:53 AM
http://rinkworks.com/stupid/