PDA

View Full Version : Word document management/retrieval

gword7
21-02-2003, 10:50 AM
I need help with managing word documents that I create.

I am after a document identification system that will automatically assign a unique number to a document on creation/saving and that number will be at the bottom of the document and also the identity of a specific file in Word.

Are there any free/cheap tools to do this???

Susan B
21-02-2003, 12:26 PM
At work I created a template for our Word documents containing all our preferred formatting and layout styles. The Footer of the template contains the field for the Filename and Path so when the document is saved it automatically displays these details at the bottom of each page.

I am not sure how you can automatically assign unique numbers to documents but we have no problem naming and saving each document according to our file numbering and naming protocol.

honeylaser
21-02-2003, 01:07 PM
If you're using XP, why not use the built in Windows Multiple File Rename Utility? Select the batch of files in Explorer, right click the first one and rename something like "Quote" then hit enter. All the files will be renamed in numerical order Quote (1), Quote (2), Quote (3) etc. You can use the Header/Footer tool to enter the document name at the bottom of each page.