PDA

View Full Version : visual basic

csinclair83
20-02-2003, 09:48 PM
has this been given as a full version on any press f1 cds?
as i'm really in need of a full version 6 of it for my 18 week course at UCOL...but i am not prepared to pay $100+ for it..i know i could if its that important to my course but...got many other things 2 worry about financally.......
i would ask for a copy...but, its illegal...so cant go there...

mikebartnz
21-02-2003, 11:27 AM
You virtually never see MS software on magazine CD's except for IE and other free giveaways. I certainly have never seen VB. Have a look at TradeMe.

Big John
21-02-2003, 11:43 AM
> has this been given as a full version on any press f1
> cds?
> as i'm really in need of a full version 6 of it for
> my 18 week course at UCOL...but i am not prepared to
> pay $100+ for it..i know i could if its that
> important to my course but...got many other things 2
> worry about financally.......

$100??? I paid well over $1000 for 6 Pro when I was over in the USA about 2 years ago. If you can find a copy for $100 I would go for it.

-=JM=-
21-02-2003, 01:02 PM
I would look at Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-software-template.asp?cname=Programming) for academic priced software.

On second thoughts. Do you have after hours access to the computer labs. You could just use the computers there.

csinclair83
21-02-2003, 01:05 PM
$$1000 :o i wasnt even sure what the cost was...and considering it was a programming software i didnt think it'd be that expensive...mmmm...
and yes i do have afterhours access to labs..so that is definately a idea :-D

mmm i'll have a look at that website...but mite just settle for afterhour access at the labs :-D

many thanks guys

csinclair83
21-02-2003, 01:06 PM
and while i am here..
do any of u know any websites that i can use to help me like make programs or anything that u can use VB for.....for more practise on this visual basic program..as honestly i am a real "newbie" at this...

Graham L
21-02-2003, 05:43 PM
google. :D "tutorial visual basic" will get you going. There's even a MS site.

dot_com
21-02-2003, 06:38 PM
> has this been given as a full version on any press f1
> cds?
> as i'm really in need of a full version 6 of it for
> my 18 week course at UCOL...but i am not prepared to
> pay $100+ for it..i know i could if its that
> important to my course but...got many other things 2
> worry about financally.......
> i would ask for a copy...but, its illegal...so cant
> go there...

Welcome to the big wide world........ if you need VB for your course, then you need it. You could always get a student loan.

paintbuoy
22-02-2003, 10:45 AM
I've done a fair bit of vb.net and c# through just using a decent text editor.
I recommend jEdit - www.jedit.org it runs on Java so you'll need to install J2SE before you get going. - java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html
Its not very handy for visually designing forms but you can do that stuff in the lab and work on the programming logic (which is the most important bit) in the text editor.

In some respects using an IDE isn't that great when your just setting out as often fundamental issues are dealt with by the computer. This is great when things work but believe me when things go wrong you have to be able to delve into the code and know whats going on!

If you really want a development environment the Visual Basic for Applications editor that ships with Office 2000 is very powerful, you can do a lot of playing and learning in this environment.

Better yet learn Java, its far more flexible and there are heaps of free (and powerful) IDE's - www.netbeans.org

Chilling_Silence
22-02-2003, 01:04 PM
> > has this been given as a full version on any press
> f1
> > cds?
> > as i'm really in need of a full version 6 of it
> for
> > my 18 week course at UCOL...but i am not prepared
> to
> > pay $100+ for it..i know i could if its that
> > important to my course but...got many other things
> 2
> > worry about financally.......
>
> $100??? I paid well over $1000 for 6 Pro when I was
> over in the USA about 2 years ago. If you can find a
> copy for $100 I would go for it.

Woah.. 3 years ago I got quoted $1200 for pro! his is version 5 too remember.. and I was lucky enough to find a place that sold me VB5 for $350ish on acedemic pricing coz I was a student.. :D

mikebartnz
22-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Having used the IDE with Delphi I have no problem with an IDE as long as it works but as you say you still need to be able to program. Delphi 7 Professional full version is over $2000
His course is for VB 6.
For those that may be interested Thirteen Ways to Loathe VB (http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1503/ddj0001vs/jan00.htm)