PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Win98 to Win98se

B.M.
19-02-2003, 10:29 AM
OK, I have two computers on my desk and one runs Win98 & the other Win98 Second Edition. I also have both the original installation disks. I wish to upgrade the Win98 machine to Win98SE. Now, simply running the Win98SE disk produces a message that you canít use an original installation disk to upgrade, you must purchase an upgrade disk!

Somewhere, somewhere, in my personal RAM, I seem to recall reading or hearing that this was nonsense, and there was a quite simple workaround. From memory it simply involved deleting a couple of files?

Can anyone help?

Bob

Gordon.
19-02-2003, 10:42 AM
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20361171.html

Read the above link and see if that gives you want you want.

B.M.
19-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks Gordon,

That is a slightly different method to the one Iím trying to recall.

From memory, one didnít go near DOS on the method Iím trying to recall. My understanding is there is a file designed especially to stop upgrading from the new installation disk. Once this file is deleted everything carries on normal.??

Bob

Gordon.
19-02-2003, 01:17 PM
http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/135063.html

In that case this is probably what you are thinking of.

Peter H
19-02-2003, 02:55 PM
You need to delete 2 files under DOS. They are win.com & winver.exe.
Just rename then as wincom.old & winverexe.old, Then run setup.exe. It will try putting it in a folder called C:\windows.000 so you need to backspace out the ".000" Worked on mine.
Bye

B.M.
19-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Yes Gordon, sounds similar but I donít recall win.com being the file concerned.

I wonder if this method updates all the drivers or just replaces win.com?

The other concern I have is that windows will let me rename win.com whilst windows is open?

Iíd better start backing up before attach!

B.M.
19-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Our posts crossed Peter.

Looks like Win.com has to go!

I figured we may have to operate from DOS.

Better start backing up eh? ;)

Bob

Graham L
19-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Of course, doing anything like that, boot to DOS. Windows tries to stop you from chainsawing the branch you are sitting on. It likes to sabotage things itself. :D

But some full versions have a nasty habit of formatting the partition. :D

johnd01
19-02-2003, 07:55 PM
When I tried the upgrade over existing OS it gave me more grief than relief. I booted using boot disk and selecting cd rom support then reformatted using Format c:/u/s command. Select cdr drive ( poss E: ) and ran setup.. Although it is an upgrade disk it will still give you a compleate clean install.. Once I had everything in place I ran Regclean and then scandisk several times.. Never had a problem.

My new computer had Win me pre installed and I am on the verge of scrapping it and going back to 98se

B.M.
20-02-2003, 08:26 AM
If Iím reading things correctly John01 you used an upgrade disk to do a full installation and reformatted your disk.

In my case Iím the reverse, where I have the original disk and want to upgrade from it.

Now, I donít want to reformat. (I want to be a lazy bugger and back up very important information but take a punt on the rest of it.) Obviously, if I were prepared to reformat it would be a simple matter to just install Win98se from the disk.

I think I may sit tight for the moment and consider bludgeing an upgrade disk from somewhere. ;\

Gordon.
20-02-2003, 12:19 PM
BM, if you have a full version of 98se, I would almost be inclined to back up and do a clean installation though of course the downside to that is having to get the MS updates and Virus updates all over again. Suppose there are pro's and con's for both.