PDA

View Full Version : master cds for computer

csinclair83
19-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi,
as my computer came with a "floppy" for backup and stuff...
i want to ask packard bell for the master cds, as floppy doesnt seem 2 work 100% as files are corrupted...
but who do i ask? do i email techsupp.apac@nec-computers.com which is technical support for my computer...or...the retailer?...or wat?
and what do i actually ask for? "master cds" or is there a specific name?

and i remember i've talked to someone about this once...but didnt follow up on it due to family stuff happening afterwards, and yeah...

parry
19-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi ya, I have a Packard Bell myself. There should be a hidden partition on your HD that contains all the installation for the PC - O/S, packaged programs etc.

You can download the MasterCD software from http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/download/drv.asp?c=ap and this enables you to make a CD (I think it was actually 2 CD's) of these programs.

You can then unhide that partition and delete it if you wish to free up space. Thats what I did.

HTH
Parry

csinclair83
19-02-2003, 12:24 PM
wont that take forever to download? on a 56k modem...with 3 hour maximum use per day?...

parry
19-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Im trying to remember exactly what I did as it was about 12 months ago I did this. Im at work now so cant check.

This is a better link here (http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/pri/pri.asp?c=ap) . Select your model and you are taken to a page that has downloads for that model. Down the bottom theres a link to create a master cd.

All that you are doing is downloading a program that enables you to create a CD from your hidden partition. Your not downloading a whole CD - just a small exe.

dot_com
19-02-2003, 01:59 PM
You should have got a Packard Bell recovery floppy with your computer. Put this in, and it will reformatt and reinstall your OS and all the programs that came with your computer (will install it like it was a new computer)

Just follow the instructions, but make sure you back up what you want to keep beforehand.

dot_com
19-02-2003, 02:02 PM
> Hi ya, I have a Packard Bell myself. There should be
> a hidden partition on your HD that contains all the
> installation for the PC - O/S, packaged programs
> etc.
>
> You can download the MasterCD software from
> http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/download
> drv.asp?c=ap and this enables you to make a CD (I
> think it was actually 2 CD's) of these programs.
>
> You can then unhide that partition and delete it if
> you wish to free up space. Thats what I did.
>
> HTH
> Parry

Hi Parry,

With those discs, can you automatically reinstall the hidden partition again, if you need to, or once its gone, is it gone?

csinclair83
19-02-2003, 02:05 PM
mmm can i actually ask for the disks instead of downloading as i'm sure it'd take forever to download if i attempted to with 3 hour a day internet access and 56k modem.......and i have to say 3 hour access doesnt mean 3 hour at once...i'm mainly only allowed 30 mins tops at one go...so yeah

but if downloading will have to be..i can try and arrange to have connection all night..and just have the plug (phone) to be pulled out once someone wakes up in the morning...

parry
19-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Hi Dot_Com, I dont think it creates a hidden partition again when you install. My PC fell over at one stage and I used the Master Disc, but Im sure it just grabbed files off the CD and that was it. So I think once you kill the partition its goneburger.

What's a bugger with the install though is that its run from some script (or equivalent) that doesnt give you any opportunity to customise the install so you get all these programs and Windows configured a certain way whether you want it that way or not. I couldnt figure out how to bypass this. Even though I have the MasterCD I actually rely upon a ghost saved to CD as my backup.

So creating the Master Disc is on the floppy as well? Nevermind, I can remember downloading a file to create the CD so maybe I did that needlessly.

parry
19-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi csinclair83, no you don't download a whole CD! On your hard disc is a hidden partition with all the installation files. What you download is about a 1-2MB file. Although Dot_Com is saying you wont need to download this file as the floppy has the utility to create the CD. You can check yourself.

When run this file looks in this hidden partition for the files and opens your burning software to copy these files onto the CD. If you have deleted the hidden partition then you have no installation files and you will have to contact Packard Bell (or the shop where you purchased the PC).

Graham L
19-02-2003, 02:38 PM
What dot_com and you missed, parry, is that his floppy is corrupted. :D

Chris, your retailer should be able to give you a replacement floppy (or make a copy of a good one). They should give you one, but take in a new blank floppy (in a plain paper bag) in case they don't offer to give you one. :D

If that doesn't do what you want, look at that link, and maybe download the file.

dot_com
19-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks Parry,

I was thinking about trying out Linux, but i don't want to muck around with the Windows ME and the hidden partition, so might just let it be. I find it handy to be able to reinstall everything from the PB floppy when things go wrong

CS Sinclair, if you look in the green Packhard Bell book you got with your computer, it will tell you all about the recovery floppy and how to use it to reinstall your OS from the floppy. You won't need the discs, as its all done automatically. If you can't find the book, turn your computer off, insert the floppy, turn the computer back on and wait for the instructions of what to click on your keyboard. It will reinstall your computer to the same state as it was when its brand new.

dot_com
19-02-2003, 03:14 PM
> What dot_com and you missed, parry, is that his
> floppy is corrupted. :D
>
> Chris, your retailer should be able to give you a
> replacement floppy (or make a copy of a good one).
> They should give you one, but take in a new blank
> floppy (in a plain paper bag) in case they don't
> offer to give you one. :D
>
> If that doesn't do what you want, look at that link,
> and maybe download the file.

Attn CHRIS

To make a recovery floppy go to this link (if your floppy is corrupted) This link is if your OS in WinME.......

http://support.packardbell-europe.com/support/download/itemnr/REFFIUP04450300.asp?c=ap

parry
19-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Ah I see, thanks Graham

csinclair83
19-02-2003, 04:04 PM
mmm i am so sorry guys that i left out my OS..coz that could change things.....am using winxp home and yes i do have a hidden partition somewhere...its hidden lol..
mm and yeah floppy says cannot read files...so its totally buggered...mmm i'll go into the retailer 2morrow and see what i can get sorted... :-D

dot_com
19-02-2003, 04:26 PM
The download is the same for WinME and WinXP CHris,

When you say that the floppy can't read files, are you putting the floppy in while the computer is turned off, then switching it on, or are you inserting the floppy with the computer already on. You need to turn your computer OFF first then insert the floppy, THEN power on

Elephant
19-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi there,

Have a look at the top right under the PressF1 banner.

Click SEARCH

Type in the search box "Recovery Disk" without the quotes.

Personally I would NOT buy a System Unit with only recovery type disks.
They are very useful in some respects as the so called "Newbie" can restore the system to the way it was when first bought. This assumes no Harware changes since bought

Reading messages on PressF1 you will probably ( for example ) get the idea that it would be GOOD to partition the hard disk. For me this works but if you only want to work on YOUR COMPUTER and you don't want to be safe then just don't worry about Partitions, Backups, Hidden Partitions and Other operating systems etc.

If I were YOU I would go to the Retailer you bought the system from and get the floppy disks replaced. One hopes the Retailer is still there.

Anyone bought a PCGeneral Computer?

Do NOT think, csinclair83, that I think you are dopey.

I hope this helps.

csinclair83
19-02-2003, 05:53 PM
its a imediac2120NDRWS and i got it from bond and bond(Palmerston North) so they definately still exist...so will pop in 2morrow and explain my situation

and also the question regarding how i insterted floppy...since i havent reformatted my own computer b4 (had a friend do it for me before he left on his OE)...i put the floppy in b4 restarting system..and got told that it was meant to be put in while computer was turned off so i did that...and it was starting up as normal..and i just thought i'd try clicking on the floppy disk drive in "my computer" and it was saying disk not found..and i thought maybe the drive wasnt working..so i insterted a floppy with my work on it that i use at UCOL..and it works..so i was guessing its the floppy..cant try on other computer coz its win98se..so yeah it'd be a pointless attempt...

and i have been thinking of partitioning because, i download a bit of stuff from downloads.com and also from the odd pcworld/netguide cd..and yeah try them out and then uninstall but then i keep forgetting to remove the "downloaded" program...and yeah i got quite a few cluttering up now and its like, not sure which to delete...so yeah a partition just for downloads would be beautiful..mmm will worry about this after i get this floppy issue sorted out

will check out the search on here later 2nite when i come back online...

also as u mention floppys are useful for "newbies" assuming hardware changes havent been brought...thats true lol..i dont really think of myself as a newbie when it comes 2 computers..but when it comes 2 reformatting..am definately one there...and its cool i dont take it as u think i am dopey hehe...mmm hardware changes...the only thing thats been put on this computer apart from games and more programs..is a printer..so yeah nothing big there...mmm

blank_harry
19-02-2003, 06:19 PM
@ csinclair83

If I were in your predicament and had a CD burner here's what I might do having said at least 10 Hail Mary's:

1) Figure out whether the OS XP Home files are sitting in a directory of the Master CD.

2) If they are, figure out whether they're password protected.

3) If they are find out whether they've been packed using ARJ rather than Winzip. PB's favourite in years gone by was ARJ - so I'll assume they still use it.

4) Find and download ARJ and Advanced Zip Password Recovery programs from the telephone/computer system.

5) Install these programs onto my hard drive.

6) Using Advanced Zip Password Recovery I would recover the password PB conveniently forget to tell me had been used to protect them against me committing reasonably silly and foolish acts against the software on my computer, which by the way, I'd forked out $xxxx.xx (input your dollar value here) for.

7) Using the recovered password I would then use ARJ to unpack the files onto a directory on my pc and when prompted would input the recovered password.

8) Then with a certain avarice in mind I might be tempted to create a bootable XP HOME cd. But you'll need instructions for that which you can find at bink.nu

9) Or, you might read this and think what a load of cobblers.

10) Or, you might read this and think yup may as well go for gold.

11) Of the problematicals that might arise - well, XP uninstalls it's own zip tools if you use WINZIP. It probably doesn't work with ARJ. So, install ARJ then install Winzip and tell winzip to use ARJ for older archival types.

12) Won't go into anymore detail since that's beyond the scope of my ten Hail Mary's

Good luck .... and remember, fortune favours the brave ........

Elephant
19-02-2003, 06:23 PM
OK... This gives me more info.

Have you checked that the BIOS is set to boot off floppy first.

If the boot order is C: A: then you won't boot off the floppy anyway

My computer is set to boot CDROM, Hard disk 0, then floppy.

I have no answer about not being able to read the contents of your recovery floppy except if all files are Hidden, System, Read only then you will not see any files on the floppy when running WinXP unless you change the Folder, View settings.

I hope this helps!!!!

Elephant
19-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Yep... Good answer.

Fortune favours the brave.

Fortes Fotuna Juvat ( in Latin )

The motto of the NZ Army Regular Force Cadets. When there was such a thing.

Elephant
19-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Forgot to say. Did your Mate format the floppy for you B4 he left?

dot_com
19-02-2003, 08:25 PM
> its a imediac2120NDRWS and i got it from bond and
> bond(Palmerston North) so they definately still
> exist...so will pop in 2morrow and explain my
> situation

Chris there is no need to go into Bond & Bond. If you follow what I say you will have no problems formatting from your floppy. Its a GOOD idea to read instructions before you start a formatt. Its a little bit more severe than deleteing a file.
>
> and also the question regarding how i insterted
> floppy...since i havent reformatted my own computer
> b4 (had a friend do it for me before he left on his
> OE)...i put the floppy in b4 restarting system..and
> got told that it was meant to be put in while
> computer was turned off so i did that...and it was
> starting up as normal..and i just thought i'd try
> clicking on the floppy disk drive in "my computer"
> and it was saying disk not found..and i thought maybe
> the drive wasnt working..so i insterted a floppy with
> my work on it that i use at UCOL..and it works..so i
> was guessing its the floppy..cant try on other
> computer coz its win98se..so yeah it'd be a pointless
> attempt...

OK, turn your computer OFF. Insert the floppy. Turn the computer ON. Do not touch anything. Follow the instructions on the screen PRECISELY. You will see screeds of info whizzing accross the screen. Under no circumstances try to click anything, or touch the mouse or keyboard. The computer will reboot several times, and the whole process of reformatting and reinstalling all yourOS & programs will take at least 15 mins. Maybe more.

Your floppy disc is not corrupted, you have interfered with the process that the computer goes through, and its confused the computer. If you do think it is corrupted, make another floppy from the link I gave you earlier.

Its a simple job to reformatt from the PB floppy if you follow the instructions. And fun too, having a spring clean.

dot_com
19-02-2003, 08:29 PM
> Forgot to say. Did your Mate format the floppy for
> you B4 he left?

I wouldn't think that his friend formatted the floppy, as he got messages on his screen telling him to turn the computer off first. Obviously, if the floppy was formatted, there would be no information on the floppy to trigger that message

dot_com
21-02-2003, 06:06 PM
How did you get on Chris?

csinclair83
21-02-2003, 08:11 PM
havent got newhere actually.. am just going to wait on getting a couple cds then will download that file from website..then go from there...and backing up computer files as well..

dot_com
21-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Oh well, I thought you would just make a new restore floppy from the download sight I posted. I thoiught you were trying to reformatt and reinstall your OS, sorry misunderstood you. Silly me

csinclair83
21-02-2003, 08:46 PM
thanks for asking :-D