PDA

View Full Version : resetting desktop

geepee
17-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Help please!!!
I loaded Mahjong software (Expert) from a cd and the monitor isnt large enough to take the whole page.The bottom where Quit and help etc should be is not available . I tried to resize it on the display properties dialogue box,and went the wrong way. I now have 1inch of black on the bottom and 1/2 inch of black on thetop of the screen. On the display properties box I only have 2/3rds of the top and cannot get into the desktop area where I can make the alteration.I have been trying via the help ,but I have had no such luck.
Would appreciate help for my problem please

Danger
17-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Try adjusting it via your monitors display settings, I mean via the buttons on your monitor itself, you should find options to move the screen view up and down, side to side or enlarge or shrink etc...

geepee
17-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Many thanks for your suggestion Danger but unfortunatelythat just didn't seem to work

Captive
17-02-2003, 11:16 PM
hello,

I am not sure of the exact details here but two things pop to mind:

1 the start bar can be resized to the point where you can only see but the top of the start bar or system tray

i would suggest clicking a blank spot on it with the left button and draging it up or to a new location perhaps for testing purposes.

Note that if you have a recent version of windows you may need to right click it first and untick lock taskbar items

Secondly the monitor controls can be adjusted to the correct positions for the screen size

my assumption is that the start bar / system tray disappeared leading you to resize the screen to see if yo ucould find it again and *perhaps* it was not going to be visible anyway as it had been moved off the screen area which is drawn to. By fixing the start menu position it *may* be possible that the screen can be restored to its correct displacement.

Good luck with this and i hope this is of assistance. Because i am not there i cannot gaurantee if this is the problem although i have encountered this error before in tech support i have done in the past via www.computermedic.captive.co.nz

Captive
17-02-2003, 11:19 PM
I made need to mention that moving the start menu may change the location of the program windows

1. addiitonally what video modes are available? e.g. 640x480 etc
2. is the program of fixed window size?
3. have you tried the maximuse button?

geepee
18-02-2003, 02:49 PM
TThankyou one and all for your help. I have managed to resize the window, but I still cannot display the bottom of the Display properties dialogue box. It appears that I may have to invite a technition to help me out.
Many thanks.

Captive
18-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Can you define the display properties box?

If you need help sooner try leaving me a message on 09 360 5284 if you want as i am doing training now to eventually offer computer support via www.computermedic.captive.co.nz

geepee
19-02-2003, 09:42 AM
I am using windows 98.
By right clicking on the screen a properties box comes up and from their I go to the tab settings. It is the bottom of this box that I can no longer get into as this has the the settings for the desktop size.
I am about to leave for a week away,

Captive
19-02-2003, 11:28 AM
can you adjust the screen resolution to 800*600 and if so does the problem still occur at that resolution?

if you cannot select this resolution it may be a graphics card or monitor limitation or incorrect specification which can be viewed in start > settings > control Panel > system > device manager tab

geepee
26-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Thankyou one and all for your help. I had a computer technition call and he returned the resolution back to 800x600 by removing the mother board software and reloading the software.took him 1/2 hour to work out the problem. Many thanks.