PDA

View Full Version : uninstall NewDotNet

chinadoll
17-02-2003, 11:20 AM
I had tried to uninstall NewDotNet from my computer with NewDotNet Website instructions, but no luck.
Any one can help please.
My os Window98se
NewDotNet ......uninstall4_80 exe Version
Thank you.(_)(_)

minos
17-02-2003, 11:31 AM
get a copy of Ad-aware 6 from www.download.com and once installed use that.

:-)

Gordon.
17-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Create a backup Registry file in case you experience further problems:

Click Start

Click Run

Type in "regedit"

Click OK

Highlight "My Computer" on the left

Click the Registry menu at the top and select "Export Registry File"

Name the file "backup" and save it to your Desktop. [This is just in case you make a mistake in the procedures below. Should you do so, locate the "backup" file on your Desktop and double-click it. Select Yes and your registry will be restored.]

Check for New.net Startup:

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click the "+" sign next to Software

Click the "+" sign next to Microsoft

Click the "+" sign next to Windows

Click the "+" sign next to Current Version

Click on the Run folder

On the right, locate the line that reads "New.net Startup" and delete it

Remove "New.net Application" from Add/Remove Programs:

Under the same Current Version folder from above, click the "+" sign next to Uninstall

Locate the "New.net" folder and delete it.

Remove the New.net software folder:

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, under "Software"

Locate the "New.net" folder and delete it
Close the open folders above by clicking once on the small "-" signs next to them.

Locate "Catalog Entries" folder:

Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, click the small "+" (plus) sign next to System

Click the small "+" sign next to CurrentControlSet

Click the small "+" sign next to Services

Click the small "+" sign next to WinSock2

Click the small "+" sign next to Parameters. You should see 2 folders, "NameSpace_Catalog5" and "Protocol_Catalog9".

Click the small "+" signs next to both of them

Inside both folders, you should see a "Catalog_Entries" folder. Open each of them.

Within each of those folders are numbered folders (i.e. 000000000001, 000000000002, etc.)

For the "NameSpace_Catalog5" numbered folders:

First, make note of how many folders there are

Highlight the first one

On the righthand side, locate the line "Library Path"

In that line, the rightmost column should begin with something similar to "C:\windows" or "%SystemRoot%".

Locate any of the numbered folders that read "C:\windows\newdotnet2_109.dll" (or similar) in the "Library Path" line

Delete only those folders referring to "newdotnet"

If needed, rename each numbered folder so that they are all consecutive. For example, if there were 4 folders and you deleted folders the first 2, you will need to rename the remaining folders "000000000001" and "000000000002".

Do this by right-clicking the folder name, left-click Rename and then type in the new number (be absolutely sure you don't delete any of the zeros).

Next, highlight the "NameSpace_Catalog5" folder on the lefthand side.

On the right, locate the "Num_Catalog_Entries" line. At the end of this line is a number in parentheses.

Edit that number by doing the following:

Double-click "Num_Catalog_Entries"

In the small pop-up window, select "Decimal"

Edit the value of the number on the left to reflect the number of remaining folders (in the case of the example in step G above, you would enter 2)

Click OK

For the "Protocol_Catalog9" numbered folders:

First, make note of how many folders there are

Highlight the first one

On the righthand side, you will see a line beginning with "PackedCatalogItem". Double-click on that word and a small windows will pop-up.

In this window, several columns appear with numbers and letters. At the top of the last column appears a path that will say, "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET~.DLL" or "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM..." followed by a long list of characters.

Look through each of the numbered folders and delete only those that indicate "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET~.DLL" in the "Edit Binary Value" window described above. In other words, if you find a reference to "NEWDOTNET..." in the "Edit Binary Value" window, close the window first (click "Cancel"), then highlight the numbered folder on the left you were checking and delete it. If the folder does not say "C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOTNET..." in the TOP RIGHT corner only, DO NOT delete it. NOTE: You should find it in either 2 or 4 folders total. If you do not, double-check the folders and if it's still the same, just move on to the next step.

Rename each remaining numbered folder so that they are all consecutive. For example, if there were 13 folders and you deleted 2 of them, you will need to rename the remaining folders "000000000001" through "000000000011".

Do this by right-clicking the folder name, left-click Rename, press the "End" key on your keyboard once (next to "Delete"), press "Backspace" once, then type in the new number (**be absolutely sure you don't delete any of the zeros) and then press "Enter".

Next, highlight the "Protocol_Catalog9" folder on the lefthand side.

On the right, locate the "Num_Catalog_Entries" line. At the end of this line is a number in parentheses.

Edit that number by doing the following:

Double-click "Num_Catalog_Entries"

In the small pop-up window, select "Decimal"

Edit the value of the number on the left to reflect the number of remaining folders (in the case of the example in step F above, you would enter 11)

Click OK

Again, you may close all open folders. Close the Registry Editor. Your changes will be automatically saved. Reboot your computer and attempt to access a website. See Step 6 (Registry backup) above if you experience other unusual computer problems. If your Internet access has been restored, we recommend you delete the registry backup file by doing the following:

On your Windows desktop, locate the "backup" file that was created in the Backup Registry procedure above.

Delete the file and remove it from your Recycle Bin also.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/5077/new/nonewdotnet.html

The above link is another way of removing it.

Adaware deom lavasoft was supposed to also remove NewDotNet but someone said recently that adaware no longer does though if you don't already have it, you could download and try adaware.

Another good one would be Spybot, a search on google will give you a download link for that as well, last I heard Spybot was able to remove newdot.

chinadoll
17-02-2003, 04:20 PM
It sounds very technical and I am a bit scared to tackle it but I will give it a try. I will try adaware first. Will this procedure cause any difficulty with accessing the Internet or not?
Thanks

Gordon.
17-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Removal of NewDotNet can cause problems with accessing the internet and / or other problems sometimes.

If in doubt you could look at the following instead unless someone can give you a better option.

Click on the Start > Run > type in msconfig > press Enter > Startup Tab > look for NewDot in there and remove the tick so it does not load at startup > Apply/OK > Restart.

Another option is if you have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm, block access to the internet for NewDot.

chinadoll
17-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi Gordon,
I don't quite understand the following term, would you please explain for me
<Edit the value of the number on the left to reflect the number of remaining folders (in the case of the example in step F above, you would enter 11) >

I had went into registry have a look but have not start deleting yet.

Thank you for the help.
(_)(_)

Gordon.
18-02-2003, 06:02 AM
China, I have a habit of collecting sometimes useful(less) information. I have not tried it myself.

I came across newdotnet some months ago on a computer that I was working on for someone, this is what I did at that time.

It did not appear to have a uninstall feature so I searched the C drive and located the folder and renamed it as todays date newdotnet eg: 010103newdotnet

If any files in that folder are required by any of your applications you will soon know about it when that program cannot locate the newdotnet folder and you can rename it back to what it was.

I also removed the tick from the startup in msconfig so it would not load at startup and installed ZoneAlarm. Now I cannot remember if newdotnet tried to access the net after the above but if it had I would have blocked it perm' within ZA.

The reason I first went with the edit reg instructions was because you had already tried to uninstall using there uninstaller but reading through it all now, it is something I would now consider as a last option.

I suggest you go with the renaming of the folder so at least you still retain those files if it coughs up any errors afterwards, do the msconfig thing and install ZoneAlarm if you don't already have it and see what happens from there.

Just repeating the msconfig instructions below. Newdotnet might appear in the startup list as new.net as well.

Click on the Start > Run > type in msconfig > press Enter > Startup Tab > look for NewDot in there and remove the tick so it does not load at startup > Apply/OK > Restart.

chinadoll
18-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi Gordon,
Thanks very much for your time.

I had used spybot to remove the NewDotNet and also untick the box from startup list. And i would not allow it to access the internet from Zonealarm.

But it is quite annoying to know that NewDotNet is still setting in registry.
As a new comer it seems very enthusiastic.

Thanks again.