PDA

View Full Version : The "Paperless Office"

mstepnz
15-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi there.

One of my managers has recently become enamoured with the idea of “the paperless office,” and has commissioned me into finding out about it. To cut a long story short, while I’ve been able to find a fair amount out regarding the accuracy of individual OCR packages, I haven’t been about to find any reviews on the actual viability of the ‘paperless office’ concept.

As far as I can tell, the document indexing and retrieval process is fairly important - but I can find next to no reviews on programmes that do this.

So, while I'm sure that it is heavily dependent on the size of the organisation, I was wondering if anyone reading this message might be able to comment on their own experiences with using OCR on a large scale.

Thanks heaps

Mark Stephens

wotz
15-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm presuming you want to OCR incoming documents. As you will not be wanting to edit most of them, why not just scan them as JPG images?

blank_harry
15-02-2003, 02:37 PM
@ mstepnz

You've just been given one of the large tasks known to human kind.

:-)

Just a thought ..........

I heard that Sovereign Assurance 'converted' to the paperless office some years ago.

The size and complexity of the type of data warehouse required at this level is enough to make the mind boggle considering in their line of business they'd need to scan certificate of titles and other security documents, loan contracts and life assurance deeds and much other stuff.

Perhaps you could contact their IT department/Operations Management to enquire whether some sort of purview of their system is possible?

Anyhow just a thought .....

utopia
15-02-2003, 02:48 PM
I've tried OCR technology before with my scanner. It was mostly inaccurate at recognising computer generated charactors, and it couldn't even recognise my handwriting at all!

Graham L
15-02-2003, 02:49 PM
I thought I could just refer you to the comp.risks newsgroup. ;-)Unfortunately not much there, but if you go to the comp.risks (from google.co.nz), then search for "paperless office" in all groups, you'll find lots.

I don't think there's been a great deal of success. (The US Archives lost a lot of stuff and said something like: "the surest way to save important things is to print them out".

DEC brought out "All in One" in the 80s. DEC aren't there now. :-(