PDA

View Full Version : 56K modem only manages 34667 bps.

Peter
14-02-2003, 10:03 PM
My 56K modem only ever manages 34-35K.

The phone lines are about 15-years old and are ungergrounded to the exchange.

Are there any adjustments on my pc I can make to improve the transfer rate?

Thanks, Peter.

tweak\'e
14-02-2003, 10:34 PM
whats your actual download speed of a compressed file (eg mp3 movie zip)? the 34667 bps reading from the icon is a little unreliable. also what modem do you have?

mikebartnz
14-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Chances are that is you all you will get as it is more dependant on the phone system than the modem in most cases. Do you get dropped off frquently or have any other problems.

Peter
14-02-2003, 11:20 PM
It's a PCI Voice Modem, SF-1156 IV+R9A.

I have tried changing the 'Max Speed' but the bps stays the same.

I just feel it should be 'quicker'.

craig_b
14-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Try looking on the manufacturers website or at http://www.driverguide.com for the latest drivers for your version of windows and that modem.

If this doesn't help you may be able to find some with a search on google for the drivers. If you can find out the FCC ID number (usually printed on the modem card itself) this can also be used to get drivers.

If you do use driverguide, log in to it with the username "drivers" and the password "all" (without the quotes).

Hope this helps,
Craig.

segfault
15-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I've found that unplugging phones around the house works quite well. (No joke)

Graham L
15-02-2003, 03:09 PM
56 kbps is pushing the capability of the telephone system. There is a designed bandwith of 3100 Hz. Any bit rate greater than 2400 baud needs magic. The greater the rate you want, the more magic you need.

If your line to the exchange is not perfect, (no odd stubs, no flakey joints, ...) the modems will not be able to go at maximum speed.

If you've got several phones, answering machines, faxes, etc on the same line you will reduce the signal, and probably give phase shifts (which will affect the magic). The fewer the better ;-).

rugila
15-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Now, I have to confess to some scepticsm about suggestions for improving modem speeds.

I have two modems, Conexant HCF and a similar looking modem that calims it has an Intel chipset, both nominally 56kps.

Tried the latter in the shop, it showed download speed of around 45kps. Took it home, showed download speed of usually 26.4kps, occasionally 28.8.
The Conexant shows fairly consistent 28.8kps, ie generally slightly faster. These speeds are cgenerally confirmed by tested downloads.

I have tried several drivers, tried disconnecting other telecommunications gear around the house, tried using each modem in each of two computers.

No speed difference whatever I try. But connection is usually stable, rarely cuts off for no seeming reason.

Thus probably the phoneline. Is Telecom landline, 300 meters undergound for 30 years and much more of it underground for last 10 years. ISP=xtra.
Had older ISA modem, speed was essentially the same.

caffy
15-02-2003, 07:37 PM
> I've found that unplugging phones around the house
> works quite well. (No joke)

Do you mean, that works, if you are using the same line you use for connecting to internet? Or do you use 2 separate lines?

tweak\'e
15-02-2003, 07:57 PM
yes caffy it sometimes works as some phones will put enough load on to drop the signal a bit to much (exspecilly if its weak to start with).

peter- what actual speed do you download at? the general idea here is to string the modem so it runs at that speed (roughly). it usually makes it a bit quicker as you get less errors and less retransmitions. you can also tweak mtu and rwin values but i don't find it gives an increase, just more stable.

caffy
15-02-2003, 10:21 PM
> yes caffy it sometimes works as some phones will put
> enough load on to drop the signal a bit to much
> (exspecilly if its weak to start with).

I use 2 lines - one for phone and one for internet. Unplugging the phones wouldn't help me, in this case would it? Because they are on a different line...?:|

tweak\'e
15-02-2003, 10:23 PM
> > yes caffy it sometimes works as some phones will
> put
> > enough load on to drop the signal a bit to much
> > (exspecilly if its weak to start with).
>
> I use 2 lines - one for phone and one for internet.
> Unplugging the phones wouldn't help me, in this case
> would it? Because they are on a different line...?:|

exactly.

Peter
15-02-2003, 11:37 PM
I've just had a count-up, five phones pluged in! And only one line in.

I'll try with them removed and see if there is any change. Also, next time I download something I watch the numbers.

I don't really know what speed to 'expect'.

I tried an on-line test <www.speedtest.com> and the result said 'Poor'.

It sounds like my figures are better than some are getting. I wonder what the 'average' speed would be for Press F1 users.

Thanks to each of you for all the help.

Peter.

Woody
16-02-2003, 12:53 AM
I run 56K dialup & usually get connect at 45 - 46 K
Sometimes 48
NOTE: I have an answerphone/fax on the same line and if I unplug this, connect speed ALWAYS goes up a couple of notches to 49 whic I reckon is pretty good for dialup
Good luck

Susan B
16-02-2003, 09:06 AM
> I've found that unplugging phones around the house works quite well. (No joke)

People here often say that but I am curious as to WHY that works. I could understand if the phone jack and line was removed completely it would make a difference, but how does simply unplugging phones help? Are they constantly "listening" for signals and hogging resources or something?

tweak\'e
16-02-2003, 12:46 PM
each phone has a RAL number which is roughly the load it puts on the line. with to much load the phones don't work. basicly (i'm no telecom expert) the more load on the line the less the signal gets and if your signal is poor to start with its enough to make errors in the data hence less internet speed.

to give you some idea of my connection- logon speed 44000bps but only 2.8kB/s download speed. roughly 30% packet loss :(

OldEric
16-02-2003, 04:58 PM
I have 2 phone lines.
The home phone line with 5 points and 4 phones manages round 34000bps.
My business phone with only a fax phone and 2 points is always 52000bps

Loss is caused by the number of points, the number of phones connected and the condition of the cable runs.

OldEric