PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook 2000

teenajo
14-02-2003, 09:11 PM
I recently went onto Micorsoft and completed some updates. While in the process it updated Outlook. At first all my messages in my inbox did not appear. It asked me something like: "How to Use the Inbox Repair Tool to Recover Messages" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197315.

I did this and I still have messages coming up. I try to delete messages in my inbox and get the following message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Of course I have restarted Outlook and restarted my computer but this has not helped. I have also used the Help, detect & repair of Microsoft Office and I still get this message. Although I have messages in subfolders of my inbox and can delete those. Although I still cannot move any inbox messages to these subfolders.

I have also today used my compaq quickstore disk to do a typical restore to see if this would help.

I cannot receive any messages either. I got two error messages basically saying they cannot be retrieved from the server although they do download and go through each message but they just don't seem to hit my inbox. Then it says the file C:/windows/bitwareuser.pst has an error quit all and use inbox repair. which has been completed previously on a number of occasions.

Is my .pst file corrupt? How do I delete this and delete all my current messages and start again? Do I have to go to this extreme to fix this problem. Microsoft were no help I got told to ring their number between 9am to 5pm! I'm at work on those hours and my computer is at home.

I have some screen dumps of these messages if you require any further details. Your help would be appreciated as I have been trying to repair this for a few days.

Jim B
14-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Outlook 2000 seems to be the flavour of the week.
You seem to have a multitude of problems here and the MS Outlook 2000 support centre Here ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?PR=out2K)may be of some help.
Outlook is designed for business and corporate use mainly and there are other mail programs around that are more reliable and easier to configure and use if you are just using email for private use.

Billy T
15-02-2003, 11:52 AM
That's a curious file name for Outlook 2000. Email is usually stored in Outlook.pst and if the file is deleted Outlook recreates it.

Bitware is a third party program but its uses are unknown to me.

Outlook might not recreate it so what I would do is rename the present file by changing the last letter of the suffix to an underscore, then reopen Outlook and see if it is recreated. If it isn't, create an empty file in notepad then save it in the same directory as the original using the same name and PST suffix as the file you have temporarily renamed.

Then try your email and see if it will work. That's a starting point anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

teenajo
15-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi Billy

I have tried your suggestion but now cannot open my outlook. I get the message with a red cross "The file C:/Windows/BitwareUser.pst is not a personal folders file".

Any suggestions on better email programs. i don't like Outlook Express. I like to use a calendar, Contacts list with names phone no etc.