PDA

View Full Version : Sygate Personal Firewall - FTP

craig_b
14-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Is there any way to get my FTP client to work with sygates firewall?

At the moment when I use it I have to shut down the firewall and restart when finished - This is not really desirable as I tend to use FTP a lot, and may as well not have the firewall...

When I look at the traffic from the FTP client (cuteftp) it logs in to the server OK, and gets as far as the directory listing which the firewall refuses to let through - possibly because it originates on a different port as the request.

I can't set up a blanket rule to allow all traffic on port 20/21 as I run an ftp server at times too.

I have tried using PASV mode too, but seems to make no difference - even tho cuteftp says to use PASV in the help files.

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers,
Craig.

Susan B
14-02-2003, 07:34 PM
You asked for ideas... :p

1. Try another FTP program. I use WS_FTP LE with no problems at all.

2. Try another firewall. The one I use is Kerio, which works well with my ICS.

Both programs are free. :-)

craig_b
14-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately I need cuteftp (pro) as I use some of the features it has (like server to server transfers) often...

I would prefer to stick to sygate if I can, as I tried about a dozen different firewalls before I settled on sygate for its features/options... and I have paid for it for a year too!!

Is there any reason that ftp traffic is being singled out? perhaps a setting I need in cuteftp to tell it about the firewall...

Craig.

Gorela
14-02-2003, 07:44 PM
You might want to check if cuteftp will permit passive mode transfer. Supposedly this can help get around firewall rules.

craig_b
14-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah, this time it seems to be working. I can now get onto some of my servers. Trouble is a few of them do not support PASV (passive) mode and will boot and ban any user who tries it. (I have no idea why!!)

So I guess I have to play firewall reconfiguring everytime I want to use FTP - o well....