PDA

View Full Version : Can't network computers to share files & Printers

ephesus
14-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys & Gals,

I have just installed my desktop and laptop to share wireless/cable broadband and it worked fine (thanks to all who have advised). However I am unable to network the 2 computers to share files and printer. Using XP network wizard, the installation went fine but the networked computers showed only on the desktop but not on the laptop. Have tried installing a few times but still the same result. Does anyone know how to solve this. The laptop is connected to a netgear router via wireless but also has a LAN card installed which is not used for internet connection at present. The desktop is connected to router via RJ45. Would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks a million in advance.

Gorela
14-02-2003, 05:43 PM
The standard work-around for this is to set-up a new user account on the XP that is the same as the Win98. If you don't have a log-on prompt for the Win 98 you will need to create one. So could just set it to the same as XP.

A bit convoluted, but I hope it helps.

ephesus
14-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks, but both system are running on XP. Do I need to set up a new account on the laptop or desktop.

Graham L
14-02-2003, 06:07 PM
You will need an identical user/password account on both machines. It's "security" that's the problem.