PDA

View Full Version : OT - Educational Insanity

nz_liam
14-02-2003, 03:18 PM
I just thought I'd share this insanity with you; my mother, who has spent the last year doing a post graduate diploma in educational technology, created a ANZAC webquest (http://socialstudies.unitecnology.ac.nz/gallipoli_webquest/) as one of her assignments, (which got an A+ I might add, (then again all here assignments have gotten an a so far)), which has been highly acclaimed in educational circles.

This webquest took months of work to make, (with all sorts of research into thinking theory and other such stuff (which is way over my head)), however now I see mum downstairs slaving away at her computer re-writing the assessment because the so called 'powers to be' don't understand their own technology curriculum, and thus want parts of it re-written to a lower standard because the theory is too hard for their un-educated brains to comprehend.

And they wonder why schools have trouble getting teaches, well with management like that who would be surprised.

Just though you might find this interesting.

Cheers

Liam

katt
14-02-2003, 09:09 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all Liam, my own experience of the educational system has been less than adequate. At present I am attempting to convince a school that it is not acceptable that an eight year old cannot read basic books (books a 5-6 year old can read), and also cannot spell more than 10 words. :(

Katt :(

mikebartnz
14-02-2003, 09:42 PM
While I love computers I do not think they should be in primary schools as I think they should be learning the basics there.
I recently did some work in an institution which housed 14 to 17 year olds and noticed the reading material used and could not get over the fact that so many of these kids had not even got a reading standard I would expect of a kid just entering school.

nz_liam
14-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Yes, that wouldn't surprise me...

My own experience of the education system hasn't been great, infact I had to quit school to get into AUT, ludicrous isn't it, (as it happened my physics teacher told me that he wasn't going to give me the 5 I needed to get into AUT, and this guy is true to his word, if this guy has a grudge against you he will do everything in his power to fail you, (as he has done to countless other students), one year he even stop'd a student getting a DUX by 1 mark, because a student had proved him wrong with a physics problem), as it happens I did my physics through the correspondence school and got a 3, and will be starting at AUT in a week.

*Oh and just to clear up something that Susan has already questioned, by the powers to be, I did not mean the assignment had to be altered, rather that the assignment was of such high quality that Social Studies Online brought it to put on their site, and it was an outsider who objected. On the whole its more of a political thing, as it happens the Auckland big-wigs liked it, however there is a newly appointed bigger-wig further down the country who is using it as a political tool to to make the other big-wigs take notice of her. (Insane isn't it, someone who knows nothing about the subject is calling the shots).

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
14-02-2003, 10:00 PM
> While I love computers I do not think they should be
> in primary schools as I think they should be learning
> the basics there.
> I recently did some work in an institution which
> housed 14 to 17 year olds and noticed the reading
> material used and could not get over the fact that so
> many of these kids had not even got a reading
> standard I would expect of a kid just entering
> school.

I would love to argue this point with you, however I am A not a teacher, and B don't want to start a flame war, however I will quote one of mum's friends who also did the diploma, (bearing in mind that the diploma wasn't a how to use powerpoint course but rather a lot research in learning theory and how this could be applied to the education system to enhance the learning of students), this friend said; "I always knew computers were a good thing, but until I did this diploma I didn't know how great they were".

Of course the fact remains that while spending say $6000 putting 10 computers in a classroom which is taut by someone who has done the ed-tech study would be a highly worthwhile investment and greatly advantage the students in that class, it would be money down the drain given those resources to a non ed-tech educated teacher.

mikebartnz
14-02-2003, 10:22 PM
While I have no doubt about the use of computers in education I do feel that in primary school it is more important to learn the skills of reading, writing an arithmatic which can head them in the right direction which ever course in life they choose. Without true comprhension of the basics a person can not move forward.

nz_liam
14-02-2003, 10:33 PM
> While I have no doubt about the use of computers in
> education I do feel that in primary school it is more
> important to learn the skills of reading, writing an
> arithmatic which can head them in the right direction
> which ever course in life they choose. Without true
> comprhension of the basics a person can not move
> forward.

I totally agree with you, the basics are important, however with a properly planned program with highly educated up-to-date teachers computers can be used to help, and extend the learning of students, while say having students research a topic and then write about it in their own words and then present it on power point would enhance their learning, (because presenting it is fun and interesting they will have a much higher chance of remembering what they learnt), however (as i see happen often), students doing a power point presentation for the sake of doing it does noting for their learning.

A key pont to keep in mind is that it IS a properly planned program, getting students to play math invaders and shoot down the asteroids is completely pointless.

katt
15-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Without true
> comprhension of the basics a person can not move
> forward.

Well said Mike ! I couldn't agree with you more :)

Katt :)

rugila
15-02-2003, 09:52 PM
I investigated the possibility of being a schoolteacher when I was at a loose end once.

But got a letter from the education department saying that my ideas on what was properly expected from a teacher were so contrary to those of the officers of the educ dept that I had taken the right decision not to become one.

And so we went our separate ways ...