PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO I???????????

Katydid
14-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Hullo everyone, Me again, I have had a brainwave that someone on Press F1 may be able to help:

Around a couple of years ago I bought a very good book 'Easy Web Pages 2nd edit.' using the Free Program 'FrontPage Express'. (after checking to make sure I didn't have this on my computer) I went hunting to download FrontPage Express but I was unable to acquire the darned thing. Tried all sorts of avenues.

Has anyone got any ideas?????????? A good book (not to mention the money) going to waste and a frustrated novice who would like to learn 'how to do it' from this book.

Regards Katydid

Katydid
14-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Oooops Sorry,

I meant : how do I get the Free Program FrontPage Express???

Katydid

honeylaser
14-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Godfather links to a free version of it in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22505).

honeylaser
14-02-2003, 03:03 PM
And the link no longer works. Try this one:

http://www.troyandjessica.com/index.php?pid=38

Katydid
14-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Honeylaser,

Thanks, but HELP!!!! I am a novice at trying that sort of thing and am unable to try as would hate to wreck the computer and my existing I.E.6

If only there was somewhere that FP express could just be downloaded as a program with no fluffing around to confuse my poor brain!!!

Regards

Katydid

honeylaser
14-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Why Frontpage Express? If you want a free program which will be less hassle to download and install, you might want to try something else (or invest in MS Frontpage).

Otherwise, try following the instructions here (http://intgrunits.olivet.edu/other.htm) (this guy also hosts the app for download).

I would really recommend investing in something better, such as FP 2002.

agent
14-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Microsoft has dropped FrontPage Express, and sells it separately to Office (I'm sure it was in one of the Office 2000 or 2002 packages, as it's on one of my computers with that.

They've also dropped Publisher and now sell that separately too. I just hope they don't drop Access.

honeylaser
14-02-2003, 05:01 PM
> They've also dropped Publisher and now sell that
> separately too. I just hope they don't drop Access.

Since when? First I've heard of it and we're a Microsoft Certified Partner! As far as I know it still comes bundled on MS Office XP Pro, and always has.

Anyway, thats beside the point because Frontpage Express is still available as a free download (MS used to host the exe), but you just have to find it!

Graham L
14-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Aha, you have to be certified to be a Microsoft Partner. I've always suspected it. :D

Susan B
14-02-2003, 05:25 PM
I have got FrontPage Express.... somewhere. It came as part of an old version of Internet Explorer, probably on my Win 98. Not sure if I can separate it out or not, but I think I would be able to since it needs to be installed additionally to IE.

If you are interested I could investigate and send it to you if I am able to.

agent
14-02-2003, 05:35 PM
According to PC World Microsoft is dropping Publisher, from future versions of Office, not current ones. So the only difference between Office 2004 Standard and Office 2004 Professional will be PowerPoint, won't it?

Katydid
14-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Honeylaser,

Part of the reason is that I bought a very good book that tells step by step (for a dummie like me) how to do web pages and it uses Frontpage Express. Anyhow would like to play around with that one if poss. for now.

Regards Katydid

Danger
14-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi Katydid, sorry to butt in on your thread, but you may have missed that there was an update to your Sygate Firewall a few weeks back.

Cheers Danger.

Katydid
14-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Susan B,

Thanks for your constructive answer. Would appreciate your having 'a go', the link Honeylaser gave me was daunting to say the least!!!!!!!!! Did appreciate his answering though.

Regards Katydid

Katydid
14-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Hello there Danger,

I did notice that up date somewhere on my wanderings, but last time Sygate did the disappearing act, I ditched it for good. Is yours going ok now????????? If so may go back to it as liked it very much.

Regards Katydid

Danger
14-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Only once since the update has it not showed in my taskbar, but I believe that it was still running, as when I clicked on my shortcut it came up on my screen but still not on my task bar. What are you useing now?

Katydid
14-02-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm using Zone Alarm (the free home version) and it DOES appear to be pretty good. Doesn't do the 'disappearing act' like Sygate. Has stopped heaps of intrusions and just under half of those have been High Rated. Thats since 12th Dec.

Perhaps if you have more problems it may pay you to take a look at Zone Alarm.

Regards Katydid

Susan B
14-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Katydid, I'm very sorry to have to tell you that I haven't had any luck trying to get my FrontPage Express installed on a difference computer to the Win 98 one. When I run the setup .exe it keeps asking for different files that I presume are already on the Win 98 computer and so won't install itself. If it won't do it for me, it certainly won't do it for you unless you have Win 98 yourself. Sorry. :-(

Katydid
14-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Susan B Hi There,

Thanks so much for trying. I have Windows 98 Second Edition, would it be on that.

Everyone,

Meanwhile I have been trying another avenue and I would like your thoughts.

We have Copernic 2001 Plus and I requested Frontpage Express free download.

One of the sites was http://nur.mybravenet.com/bnia/tochnot.html

It was named, NURIT HARARI'S GUIDE on Software for Building and designing sites Both in english and??????? looked like this (don't know exactly how to do on computer so will explain what the lettering looked like) small case e with a dash above - and o with a bar through it - the same again - then an a with a double dash above............etc. etc.......... It is a Zip download and I now have it in my download folder on my desktop. I have checked it with my AVG and says it is clear of virus etc. I am still reluctant to open onto the computer.

Has anyone had any dealings with this site.

Might even turn out to be a LEMON!!!!!!!!!

Regards Katydid

Katydid
14-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Ah Ha,

Just went back to the site through my posting and see that that funny lettering is Hebrew. Am wondering if the download will be in English or Hebrew. The download window was only in english????

What do you all reckon????

Katydid

Susan B
14-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Katydid there is every possibility that your Win 98SE will have FrontPage Express on it. Go to the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Windows Setup>Internet Tools and click on the Details button. Hopefully you will see FrontPage Express listed in there -- if it is, put a tick alongside it and click OK. Put your Windows CD-ROM disk in the CD drive and click on OK once more for Windows to install it.

Good luck! :-)

Katydid
14-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi,

Tried that one when I first bought the book. No luck.

Katydid

Merlin
14-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Yawn,

Ever think of looking at MS?

The fast track to the Web: FrontPage Express (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/usingwindows/internet/Articles/003Mar/FPExpress.asp)

FrontPage Express Is Missing from Installation Options (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q231962&gssnb=1) applies to: Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

It was dropped from IE 5.5 on.

Terry Porritt
14-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Here's a way to get FPE, Katy: first here's a bit of text:

How to obtain FPE via these workarounds

Take out an old Magazine disc that has IE 5.0 on it (or below) and do a search for this file!

Fpesetup.cab

Once you have found it, open it up with WinZip and extract all the files to a new directory of your choice, and then double click on the fpxpress.exe file in the directory you extracted all the files to and you will have a copy of FPE.

So you can have IE 5.5 and a free version of FrontPage!

NOTE: The 'file new' command and 'help' do not work with installing FPE in this manner. You are not going to miss the help so don't worry about it. For further help with FPE check out the rest of the FPE section on AccessFP.

As for the 'File new' command just make a blank .htm file and then click file open, open the blank .htm and make your page with it. It works just as good as 'File New'.

Above was taken from here:

http://www.accessfp.net/fpexpress.htm# How

Now all you need is a CD with IE 5.0 on it, I can post the may 2000 PC World disc to you with it on if you email your address to me, tporritt at paradise dot net dot nz

Cheers

Katydid
15-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry,

Thanks that is kind of you to offfer to do that.

First though,

I did some looking lastnight and found that our Modem CD has Mic.Int.Exp.4.01 on it. That should have Fp.Exp.? I am going to have a look. Guess I would do the same as you expained.

What do you think about the one I downloaded but havent installed as yet??? have had no answers on that.

Regards Katydid

Katydid
15-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Terry,

Have had a look at the CD and Expl.4 and there is no Fpesetup.cab on it.

As for your offer,

Will wait to see if anyone thinks that download I did yesterday would be ok. Even if it did turn out to be in Hebrew I could always uninstall I guess.

Regards Katydid

Terry Porritt
15-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Hi Katydid, I downloaded that file and ran it. It is in english so you already have what you want :)

Cheers

Katydid
15-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Terry,

You Angel, thanks heaps. Will do mine now. Have a great weekend.

Regards Katydid

Katydid
15-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi Terry,

The Heart of this Rose is getting a little wilted.

I unzipped Fr.expr and it should have also installed................but I can't find it. Only in the unzipped folder. Nothing in the Programs installed or in setup etc.

Did you download it straight onto your (is it hard drive) and unzip or like me into my download folder which is on my desktop. Is there something I am doing wrong. Have you actually opened yours ready for use. I didnt even get any icons on the desktop. Put one from the unzipped folder but no window opens to get started................HELP

Katydid

Katydid
15-02-2003, 01:57 PM
terry just in case you have stopped looking there is a message for you. I clicked on Katydid reply instead of yours.

Katydid

Terry Porritt
15-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, I unzipped the files to a folder and there were 3 subfolders Bin, Pages, Temp. Like you I couldnt see a setup.exe install file, but in Bin there is fpxpress.exe and a number of dlls, together with fpxpress.chm which is a help file (single or double click on it to open it).

I ran fpxpress.exe and since it appeared to work assume that it is a program that just runs from its own folder.

I just ran the uninstall.exe that was with the 3 sub folders and that removed the files and subfolders and itself, thus confirming that indeed the program runs from its own folder.

So just make a shortcut to FP from fpxpress.exe on your desk top and it should work.

I havent read the help, but there may be something in there saying how to combine it into IE 5

Now for that well worn phrase "I hope that helps" :)

Katydid
15-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Terry,

Thanks Sooooooooo much I now have FrontPage Express by doing what you said.

Lets hope this 'dummy' will, from the book I bought some time ago, learn how to use it.

Much appreciated.

Katydid