PDA

View Full Version : Installed a new vid card - Windows boots with no display...

Mike
13-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Just bought a new video card - a GeForce4 MX440 Gainward Golden Sample (if any of that means anything to anybody) - installed it, and after the Windows XP booting screen the screen goes black. Windows boots fine, and with carefully pressed keys I can shut-down or restart, but I have no idea why I can't get the new card to display. At first it did for a while, but after a couple of restarts (I installed the drivers from the CD that came with it - perhaps that had something to do with it) the screen went black, and I can only see what's there when I put in this old 4mb video card.

I know the card works, cause it did for a few goes at first, and also the POST and the Windows XP boot screen display fine...

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Would it be better to reformat/reinstall Windows XP and get it going from scratch?

I hope somebody can help - there was a lot of hassle getting this card :)

Mike.

Jams
13-02-2003, 11:01 PM
hi mike,

did you completley remove the video drivers from your old 4 mb card?

Mike
14-02-2003, 06:05 AM
>>> did you completley remove the video drivers from your old 4 mb card?

Yes, as far as I could figure out - it's not as easy to do in Win XP as in previous versions, but as far as I could see I did.

The thing is, it was working until I started loading drivers - well I had to first remove the existing NVidia software (through add/remove programs) and when it restarted from that it was the last I saw of it ;) I think perhaps I should have left the exisiting NVidia software there... but it's too late now.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Can you get into Safe mode with it?

Mike
14-02-2003, 08:42 AM
>>> Can you get into Safe mode with it?

Oh, I forgot about that - I can't get into safemode... whenever I try the computer restarts when loading something like "amdagp.sys" - this might be the problem... I'm wondering if when I tried to load the drivers it updated some but not all, and there are probably driver conflicts somewhere - the manual for the vid card says that legacy AGP drivers are installed - this might have been the problem...

I think I might be up for a reinstall of XP over the weekend :(

Mike.