PDA

View Full Version : PC hangs at DMI

Gorela
13-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi,

My PC has decided that it won't boot. :(

It is a Gigabyte GA-6VA7 with 533Mhz Celeron, PCI VGA, Two hard drives, linux.
It has just started to hang at the "verifying DMI" point in the boot sequence. I noticed that in an earlier post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=14698&q=start-up problems#30544) a suggestion was made to clear the CMOS. Does this do anything different to resetting the CMOS defaults? ?:|

Any suggestions or solutions gratefully received.

Stumped Badly
13-02-2003, 10:01 PM
The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a method of managing computers in an enterprise.
The main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components.
Changes to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs.

Have you addded any new drives or cards lately?
Are all jumper settings correct?
Can you boot from a floppy or CD?
Check hard drive cables are plugged in firmly.
Clear the CMOS (by jumper or battery out for a couple of hours)
Replace the MBR
Try a known good hddrive, in my experience it's faulty drives which cause this error
I have formatted drives after exhausting all other possibilities and had success in the past.
Please post back with results good or bad.

Gorela
14-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Stumped. :)

I disconnected the Secondary Master hard drive and booted fine on the Primary Master. Next I reconnected the drive that was possibly causing a problem as Master and it hung. So it would seem that your are correct that the second drive is causing problems.

So I reconnected the second drive as slave. The PC booted up fine the first time, but hung on the second attempt, once again at the "Verifying DMI......". ?:|

The question now would be how do you reformat a drive when the PC hangs prior to the boot sequence ?:|

Would appreciate any additional pointers.

roofus
14-02-2003, 04:18 PM
reformatting will not fix the problem as its more likely to be a hardware failure than a software.
However you could use your windows rescue disk to boot into dos then format from there.
But like i say, i think its a hardware failure

InverseEight
14-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Boot from your Linux cd, and when you choose which partitions you want to install on, there should be options to format and create/change partitions.

Gorela
17-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Well Stumped,

I thought I would let you know that I am back up and running :)

As mentioned it appeared that the second hard drive was causing the hang at DMI. I then made the troublesome drive as the Secondary Master again and slotted in a CD drive as Primary Slave to see if that would help.

Rather surprisingly this actually did the trick :O

Just to make sure I did a couple of reboots prior to loading the OS with no problems. So now the drive appears to operating fine again so I have once again removed the CD drive.

Many thanks for your input :)