PDA

View Full Version : Win 2k pro. SlOW BO

Kibito
13-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Ok I have win2k pro recently installed fresh.

256mb Pc 2700 Ram
Athlon Xp 2100
Asus A7N8X Nforce 2 Delux Pure Motherboard
Samsung 40gb 5400rpm Drive

And basically, windows loads SLOW. Takes like 2 minutes to load. And Shutdown is SLOW. takes like 1 Minute. Why is it so dam SLOW!. I already installed all the service packs and updates. BUt still it's really really SLOW. Is this normal?

robsonde
13-02-2003, 06:27 PM
normal sorry :-)

Kibito
13-02-2003, 06:46 PM
You're kidding.... Is there NO way to speed it up. at ALL!!!

Kibito
13-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Isn't there like an update or something to speed it up?

Big John
13-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Remove some of the "features" you do not need. IIS is probably one you dont use. Take a look at what is running and remove what you dont need.

Big John
13-02-2003, 08:26 PM
> And basically, windows loads SLOW. Takes like 2
> minutes to load. And Shutdown is SLOW. takes like 1

Gee that is slow. I guess you aint used to 5-6 minute load times previously. Take it, It is quite a fast load time

> Minute. Why is it so dam SLOW!. I already installed
> all the service packs and updates. BUt still it's
> really really SLOW. Is this normal?

Yep and 1 minute for a shutdown is fast given all the services that need to be shut down in an ordily manner. If you want faster the go for Win98 or WinXP.

Chilling_Silence
13-02-2003, 08:34 PM
> Remove some of the "features" you do not need. IIS is
> probably one you dont use.

I thought that IIS only came with 2K Server or Datacenter and stuff, not with 2K Pro which is what would be used @ home :-)

If you really want my opinion, then upgrade to XP- With your processor being designed with it in mind - It'll make a HUGE difference.

Im dual-booting 2K/XP and soon to be RedHat 8 (Im partitioning tonight).

2K takes about 60 seconds to load - mainly due to the HDD being the bottleneck in transfer speeds AFAIK - Thats what I was told anyways.

Now, installing XP and a boot will take a matter of 35-40 seconds. Shut-Down is a little different, depending on if Im gonna Hibernate or not. Hibernation will take an extra 5-10 seconds, but only takes about 20 all up. Shut-down takes 5-10 seconds!

This is coz I run an AMD Athlon XP

Notice the XP in them both?!

If anybody knows of other factualy info, about OS speeds related to XP and my processor, then Id love to hear it :-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
13-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Otherwise, there's two proggys:
Super Rabbit Magic Set (http://www.superrsoft.com)
or a program recommended by Tweak'e (Dunno the URL sorry):
Fresh UI.

Both are great for speed ups, but I use Super Rabbit the most:-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

John Grieve
13-02-2003, 09:46 PM
You can speed it up considerably by killing "services" off that you will never need. I boot 2000 faster than my 98SE install on the same machine with a combo of services tweaks and registry tweaks (mostly dealing with timeouts ). Use the links at this site to dig deeper into beating 2000 into decent shape. Mine is so tweaked that when I have Lans at home I easily beat the boot times of 98SE and XP machines running standard installs.

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

If you use the search function well (caching tweaks, timeout tweaks) at this link find a wealth of advanced registry based tweaks for 2000 as well.

http://www.jsifaq.com/

Big John
14-02-2003, 06:25 PM
> I thought that IIS only came with 2K Server or
> Datacenter and stuff, not with 2K Pro which is what
> would be used @ home :-)

Nope, Even XP Pro has it. Take a look at the install section of Windows bits and you will see IIS is there.