PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Not Booting! - Boot Disk??

Ritzz
13-02-2003, 05:01 PM
My system wont boot. I think its becasue i was playing with overclocking bus setting and when i rebooted with a higher freq for CPU i got message : "Error Loading Operating System"
Its still the same now even when i changed the settings back to normal.

I have Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Red Hat 8 multibooting.
unfortunately i dont have any recovery disk either. I only had boot disk for Linux and it worked fine letting me boot into Linux where i am right now.

Is there anyway i can recover into Windows using some boot disk or something. I tried recovery but it asked me for Automated recovery Disk (floppy ). I dont have that.

When i did Recovery from Win XP Setup, i got to the recovery console but i have no idea what commands to type to fix this.

CAN ANYONE HELP? Its urgent plizz. Otherwise i have to spend whole reinstalling everything :(

Thank you.

Graham L
13-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh dear. :-(

Have you looked at the Windows partitions from Linux? I wonder if the root directories have been corrupted. If so, you probably will have to reload.

BTW, it is not recommended to overclock a Linux system ... Linux works the hardware much harder than Windows, and finds any flakiness. It seems that Windows found it first. ;-)

If you can get into the repair menu you might be lucky: I'll leave that to a Windows expert.

Ritzz
13-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Graham,

I hope someone comes along and tells me what commands to type if any at the command prompt for recovery console or if i can repair it anyway.

I had Linux to play around with it and get a feel for it. I hardly use though. But today it is so much useful handy for me. Where Windows is not going, Linux lets me get onto the net and seek help.

It will be such a pain loading everything. I think i will wait till 7pm and if nothing comes up then Reinstall the whole thing...urrrhhhhh...

Stumped Badly
13-02-2003, 10:11 PM
From memory press F8 at boot and select safemode.
If it still wont boot, try the "FIXBOOT" & "FIX /MBR" commands.
This may make linux unbootable though but if you have a boot disk you should be able to reinstall LILO or what ever bootloader you were using.
Are you sure the settings you played with are back to previous?

Stumped Badly
13-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Or a better idea might be to download bootdisks from here and attempt a recovery.

http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

pluto
13-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks Stump,

Thankfully it has worked after i got some more info from web. I think i will share it cause it might help someone else in future. But i couldnt use the F8 as after the "verifying DMI pool message" at BIOS i couldnt get to the boot loader

Well basically i went to Recovery Console thru Win Xp setup and tried copying NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR back to C: As it said in some website.

However it didnt copy, i tried so many times to copy it from Win XP CD (\i386\ ) folder but it wouldnt. It was funny and i thought it was cause VFAT format of C: done by Linux and so i booted from DOS disk and copied these files from CD to C: It did copy. It was also funny how DOS displayed contents of C:....with everything looking garbled (those funny faces/hearts) :)

And i also did FIXBOOT which was the critical one as it did reply saying Boot corrupted but fixed it.

But when i rebboted I got Boot.ini missing message. So i had to make a dummy boot.ini file and just fiddled with those disk(X)rdisk(x) numbers until i got it right.

Well it works and i am quite relieved :D

Ritzz
13-02-2003, 11:09 PM
WHAT THE ???...... :O

Has Press F! gone CRAZYYYYY???

My post has Pluto's name on it????

I think F1 also needs a reinstall... :^O:^O

Captive
18-02-2003, 03:11 AM
I have had this issue before.

The quickest way i found to restore functioning was:

Boot from 2k/XP Cd and choose install > recovery console

god knows why they hid the recovery console after install.

then
fixmbr
fixboot
[i think that is the correct order]

Big John
18-02-2003, 04:18 AM
Boot from the Windows XP CD and use the recovery option from there.