PDA

View Full Version : COM3 Modem + Windows 2000

James_B
13-02-2003, 03:23 PM
I have just installed Windows 2000, but I cannot use my modem (Dynalink, i have the drivers etc) which is on COM3. When I manually install the drivers for the modem, I get to the point where you select what port to install it on, and there is only COM1 & COM2 available, with no COM3 in sight. I just went on, installing it to both ports, but it still didnt work. I know it is a functioning modem, becuase it works fine in windows XP, and is automaticly detected on installing win XP.

Is there something that I need to download/install to enable COM3 support or something?

nz_liam
13-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Shouldent be, you sure it hasn't already istalled it, try pressing WindowsKey+Pause, then Hardware and then Device manager, and see if it has already detected it, it might be sitting there detetced but no configured, in which case select it, click properties, and click the update/install driver button, then just follow your nose.

Cheers

Liam

Graham L
13-02-2003, 03:40 PM
No. The driver should do it. The COM1 and COM2 ports are hardware; software "allows" for COM3 and COM4. Try (in the BIOS) disabling COM2. The installer should then use that.

(If, which I suppose is unlikely, the card is a non-PnP card, and has jumpers to set port address and IRQ, disable COM1, or change the jumpers to be COM4. COM1 and COM3 share IRQ 4; COM2 and COM4 share IRQ3 in "legacy systems").

Captive
18-02-2003, 02:25 AM
COm3 indicates to me it might be a PCI modem which supports better sharing of IRQS or with say 2k/xp the ability to choose the option to not assign an IRQ [look in device manager you can actually set it as it appears to not use an irq]

Because it is requesting a physically mapped COM port and it appears the existing driver does not need one i would suggest checking that you have the right driver.

to install the driver, when you have the correct one, try device properties > drivers > update driver.

What label does the modem have at present in device manager?

additionally for a modem site try:
www.modemhelp.org