PDA

View Full Version : askjeeves.com !

Shroeder
12-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Just a warning

My son (13yo) mis-spelled the above the other day (left the s off jeeves) and yells, "Why are all these lines on the screen and everyone says sex!"

(I'm just pleased he was mature enough to call us straight away - by the time I got to the computer (from about 4 metres) the pop-ups had started...

Maybe I should install Phoenix on our main OS (I have it on my "special testing partition") - but I hate its downloader (love the rest)

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Go Phoenix. 7.8Meg download (Or thereabouts) and Ive not had a pop-up since.

Im refusing to browse at home on IE simply coz I get bombarded with the darn things and its sickening.

Why not try it as a secondary OS for the time being and you can make it your default later?

Just extract the Zip flie (Once downloaded) to you Program Files folder and then find the Phoenix.exe file, right-click, and select "Send to Desktop (As Shortcut)"

You'll love it!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 04:38 PM
BTW - I've always gone to it by typing:
http://www.ask.com

Shroeder
12-02-2003, 04:52 PM
I do use it in my secondary OS - but I haven't worked out how to use an alternative downloader (DAP?) with it. The downloader it defaults to doesn't appear to support resume!

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Neither have I, and no, it doesnt.
I use DAP too, so I simply keep it in the tray. When I need to download a file, I copy the shortcut to the clipboard and open dap and paste it in.

A small price to pay!

Thomas
12-02-2003, 05:44 PM
I left the s off and it asked me do I mean Jeeves.