PDA

View Full Version : Quick knoppix question.

nz_liam
11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
I have the cut-down PCD Knoppix CD, I am using it to do some diagnotic tasks on my RedHat 8 linux partition.

I need to access /mnt/hda3/home/liam, however this directory is locked to the user 'liam' (me) so I can open it, so I thought 'su knoppix and chmod the direcotry'. However when I try to su the command prompt it asks for a password, (I have tried a few logical ones like pass, knoppix etc), which I dont know.

What it the password for root? Or is there another way I can type in the password for the user 'liam' (me) and access the folder?

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
11-02-2003, 06:56 PM
*I have the cut-down PCW Knoppix CD...

nz_liam
11-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Actually I think I've just answered my own post.

http://gracie.santarosa.edu/~eric/KnoppixInstructions.html

# Getting a root shell command prompt: If you have booted to the KDE graphical environment, you can switch to a text-mode root shell by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. When you see the text screen, press Enter to display a command prompt, as shown above. To switch back to KDE, press Ctrl+Alt+F5.

* Alternatively, you can launch a terminal window by clicking on the "Konsole" icon on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. The icon looks like a video screen with a seashell in front of it.
* However, you don't get a root shell with Konsole: Knoppix's KDE logs you in as the restricted user "knoppix", which cannot access root-only files with normal commands. To work around this, you can:
o Prefix every command line with the command "sudo ". For example, to copy the shadow file to the /tmp directory, you'd enter:

sudo cp shadow /tmp

Kame
11-02-2003, 07:37 PM
I haven't checked that link but what I do is take over the root.

at prompt:

sudo passwd root

type your password

su root

type the password

and you have a root terminal.

nz_liam
11-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks for that, what I ended up doing was Ctrl+Alt+F1 which gives a root prompt, then Ctrl+Alt+F5 to return to X.

Incidently how would I go about creating a zip/tar.gz from the command prompt, and then adding the /mnt/hda1/home/liam directory (and its subdirectories to the archive?

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
12-02-2003, 01:43 AM
Well after a hell of a lot of learning of bash stuff *the hard way, and a lot of trial and error, (I need one of thoes VI reference mugs from linux-shop.co.nz :D), this is what I ended up doing;

1. I booted RedHat into the command prompt, logged in as liam, then typed in "chmod -R 777 /home/liam/".

2. Booted into knoppix, and saved the files I wanted into .tar file.

3. Uploaded the file via ftp to a server on my local network.

4. Wrote this post :p

Thanks for the help.

Liam (who hasn't used windows for 7 days now! :):))