PDA

View Full Version : Internal modems

MarkB
11-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Are all internal modems winmodems.

Graham L
11-02-2003, 05:22 PM
No. Most ISA ones are not, but probably most PCI ones are. Isn't progress wonderful? :D

godfather
11-02-2003, 05:23 PM
All PCI slot modems are, in this country.

ISA slot modems can be hardware based, but they are not available now and the majority floating round are 33k with only a few later models 56k.

Most modern motherboards dont have ISA slots either.

Winmodems work OK in many computers, but are very reliant on the operating system, and can be affected by other software it appears.

If they work, they work. If they don't, sometimes they can't be made to work well.

Overall external (NOT USB!) modems are very reliable. USB are Winmodems as well, in many cases.

mikebartnz
11-02-2003, 07:37 PM
The States had some hardware PCI modems.

btong
11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Here is an exact quote from Dynalink when I enquired them about this issue:
"Modems can be generally classified into 3 categories - hardware, software and controllerless. Controllerless modems have one of the 2 main components required to be a hardware modem, the data pump. However they do not have a controller (hence the name) which means they do rely on some CPU processing power. Dynalink recommends a minimum of a Pentium 166MHz with 32MB RAM for our current Lucent chipset PCI modem (1456VQH-T4).

From our experience controllerless modems perform better than software
modems. In noisy line conditions I still recommend a hardware modem such as our serial external e-modem (1456VQE-C).

Winmodems and software modems are all loose terms but describe modems without either a controller or data pump. All processing is done by the host computer."

nz_liam
12-02-2003, 04:13 AM
I think I have a PCI hardware modem, it's a 56k sold under the dynalink brand, weve had it quite a few years now so it is possible that is is hardware. (Might have a look at the chipset on it later today and run it through google.)

Cheers

Liam

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Our PCI modem is a WinModem, but the one thats on AMR (That isnt working currently) is not, Its something like HFC56 something.. something.. something...