PDA

View Full Version : Ad Aware 6 + NEW.NET = DEAD INTERNET

Dragonslayer
11-02-2003, 03:50 PM
I cant ping any addresses anymore, the report "pinging (ASCII CHARACTER) with 32 bytes of data" then the response, then (Random ASCI Characters) responded X times etc.) instead of the IP address I am pinging, it reports ASCII characters instead.
I ran ad-aware and removed NEW.NET as this is a VIRUS!, however, it binds itself to the TCP/IP stack, and now it is damaged. Unfortunately Microsoft in their wisdom havent included any way to re-install TCP/IP in Windows XP. I have used the netsh command to "rebuild" the registry, no avail. I have installed WIN XP over the top of itslef, no avail. I have tried the rego hacks from http://www.cexx.org/newnetfix.htm no avail. tried restoring the quarantined items from Ad-Aware, no avail. I can not PING or TELNET anything, and browsing is definately out of the question.

Have any of you experinced NEW.NET, and have had similiar problems to what I have got?, and fixed them? It is for WIN XP PRO - SP1

Thanks

robsonde
11-02-2003, 03:57 PM
try reinstalling the NEW.NET thing and then look at other ways of removing it.

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2003, 04:01 PM
> Unfortunately Microsoft in
> their wisdom havent included any way to re-install
> TCP/IP in Windows XP.

I thought that if you right click on your LAN connection, you can go properties and select TCP/IP and remove it.

You then select Add Protocol and it will re-add it?!

Hmm.. Although you would need a NIC for that to work...

Try rebooting and booting off the install CD and selecting "Repair" rather than install and see if that fixes it!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Jim B
11-02-2003, 04:45 PM
This thing is reasonably common, and you are right it kills your internet.
Go to the site Here ( http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm) ant it will tell you all about as well as links to a removal program and also a manual uninstall

When viewing the list of components for a network interface, you may notice that the Uninstall button is disabled when Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is selected. In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is considered a core component of the operating system; therefore, it is not possible to uninstall TCP/IP in Windows XP.

In extreme cases, reinstalling the Internet Protocol stack may be the most appropriate solution. With the NetShell utility, you can now reset the TCP/IP stack back to a pristine state, to the same state as when the operating system was installed.

How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

Go to Command Prompt

Start\All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt

Or

Start\Run type in cmd press "Ok"

At the Prompt type in

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Press Enter

Re-Start Computer

Dragonslayer
11-02-2003, 05:19 PM
I have been to that site, seems like the perfect place to go normally, tried everything there, also the NETSH command too. Made some progress though, I can now PING other addresses and it responds correctley, however if I try and TELNET to the router it responds with "The support for the specified socket type des not exist in this address family", and typically MICROSFT SUPPORT KNOWLEDGE BASE has NO IDEA what this means, don't know why they just don't have "DON'T KNOW" as an error message. I can TELNET to the router from ALL other machines on the network, and the Infected PC has NO FIREWALL software installed, and the XP built in firewall disabled.

I guess the only thing to do is the typical microsoft response "RE-INSTALL WINDOWS"