PDA

View Full Version : OT - Xbox Games

honeylaser
11-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi folks, [and apologies in advance for the Off Topicness]

Hubby surprised me with an Xbox for my birthday (lucky me! sure beats the plastic stool I got for my 10th!), and it came with a game I'd rather not play (Amped Snowboarding). I've been looking around for decent games, and want some opinions on the best place to buy from.

I know you're all going to say "TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz)", and I have been going there and looking. I purchased Halo yesterday on TM for $45, which I thought was reasonable. But unfortunately there are only a handful of listings (20 or so games), and fierce competition.

I really don't want to buy brand new (who wants to spend $79 - $129 on a game?), but I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks reasonable levels of second hand games. Real Groovy has a few, but they are only marginally cheaper than brand new, and not necessarily good condition discs. Cash Convertors in Newmarket had one game, which was $75.

Suggestions? Has anyone else found a good source, preferably in Auckland?

Biggles
11-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Have you tried the buy/sell/trade forum over at Gameplanet (http://www.gpforums.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2122)?

robo
11-02-2003, 03:32 PM
It will take a while for the games to fill the second hand supply pipeline.

You could try video rental stores, as they sell off spare copies once they aren't so popular.

And trade in at places like Electronics Boutique and Central Point is a way to get the price down.

robo.

honeylaser
11-02-2003, 03:46 PM
> Have you tried the buy/sell/trade forum over at
> Gameplanet (http://www.gpforums.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?forumi=2122)?

I'll give it a look - thanks Bruce

honeylaser
11-02-2003, 03:49 PM
> It will take a while for the games to fill the second
> hand supply pipeline.

Yeah, I figured that since the console is still relatively new, the games will still be right up there in price. I guess give it a few years and they'll be the same price as PS1 games are now.

> You could try video rental stores, as they sell off
> spare copies once they aren't so popular.

I've had a look in a few, but mostly they're selling spare PS2 games rather than Xbox.

> And trade in at places like Electronics Boutique and
> Central Point is a way to get the price down.

I thought I saw a sign in their shop that said 30% of retail price with trade-in. Still quite expensive, and I don't really have the games to trade! I will go and see them again though :)

> robo.

thanks robo.

Millsie
11-02-2003, 03:59 PM
X-Box is still pretty new, so 2nd hand games will be scarse. I brought my Son a PS2 for the very reason of game availability / affordability. The price of XBox games will never be as cheap as PS2's

Have you thought about putting a advert in Trademe etc wanting to buy XBox games?

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Have you tried DSE - As they have a few games for $64.95?!

I would go with Robo though and check out EB and Central Park!