PDA

View Full Version : Send SMS messages to a cell phone from your computer

ljhnz
11-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi - me again!
The other day I wrote in asking if anyone else had missed thegooey, which was a site where you could txt cell phones from your comp.
The site is gone now, but I found a sort've replacement (for the txting at least) at
http://djuice.com/index2.jsp?wlo=NZL&wl=NZ
This is a Telecon site from where you can txt to cell phones (Not Vodafone asyet - which is a pain, 'cos thegooey could...)
Thought it might be of interest to someone.
Toodles
Lynne Hawkins

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Ive had a look there, but they dont have a phone model that I have.

Ive got a Sony Erricson T206 which telecom have been doing a lot of advertising for.

Is it free when you've signed up though?

Try vodafone.co.nz for txting to 021's, or ICQ gives you twice as many a day as vodafone (10) and they can be sent right from ICQ (I use ICQ Lite!)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

ljhnz
11-02-2003, 09:09 AM
It's 20 cents a message and I haven't come across a daily limit (is that what you're referring to when you mentioned ICQ allows twice as much as Vodafone?)

Lynne
:-)

Clueless
11-02-2003, 09:10 AM
The day telecom lets people get text to their phones without someone paying somewhere is the day their techs overlooked something.

Vodafone seem to let all the text messaging sites, ICQ_sms etc through. They know that sometimes people reply, and thus they get something out of it. Telecom have a more narrow veiw.

I looked at Djuice... seems to be a way to send text from puter, and have it charged to your own phone.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

.Clueless

ljhnz
11-02-2003, 09:16 AM
yep - gets charged to the phone number you register with - I paid the same for the service from thegooey as well, but you could send faxes, get the phone to ring you at a set time to remind you of appointments (txt to speech), use the site for backing up important data - had an address book, calandar...all the goods - it had heaps of great features.
Lynne
:-)

agent
11-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Uh, new phones can do just about everything you're saying 'thegooey' could do. They have calendars, you can set them to use a certain ring tone when you have an appointment coming up, and with the phone that runs Palm OS, you can do even more, including backing up important data.

Oh, and didn't know that ICQ had a limit per day, or does it only tell you if you reach that limit? I use ICQ Pro 2003a... screw older versions.

Clueless
11-02-2003, 06:08 PM
agent,

ICQ lets you know by telling you you have gone over the limit and cannot send anything new till tommorow.

.Clueless

caffy
11-02-2003, 06:45 PM
LimeSMS (http://www.limesms.com) is another 'text from the net' website. Seems cool, you get 12 credits (ie one sms) each day, and must use those 12 credits by the end of the day. The credits dont build up each day...

Just another option, if your preferred website is down, or you have gone over your daily limit.

btong
11-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Hmmmm... has nobody heard of mtnsms? It's free of charge but the off-shoot of that is you lose quite a bit of txt space (only 122 char allowed) because the message is followed by an mtnsms message to get the recipient to sign-up as well.

But nonetheless, it's free of charge, and you can setup an online phone book as well.

Go to: http://www.mtnsms.com

btong
11-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Oops.... scrap that!! Just remembered (or discovered) that they've changed their service. Just ignore my post!!!

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
http://www.sms.ac is what they've changed to AFAIK, but I cant seem to get it to work with my 027.

They give you 8 per day I believe

Lohsing
12-02-2003, 09:25 AM
From computer to SMS is no problem. Vodafone don't advertise it, but I complained about the 027 - 021 txting and was given the email alternative... my '021' email is

6421XXXXXX@sms.vodafone.net.nz

The X's are my number... also, you can send from 021 to any email address too... All you need to do it to type in the email address on your phone

eg. jobloggs@hotmail.com

leave a space between that, and then start txting normally your msg... after that, you send to this number ... +6421 010099.

And there you go... SMS to email :) 20c a pop, but still...

Btw, for the Vodafone email linked to your account, the person sending the email doesn't get charged, the 20c fee is charged to the phone it is sent to... so you have to be sure you set it up and pass it to people you trust or your bill ends up going through the roof.

I don't bother with off-shore SMS accounts because they are either unreliable in terms of receiving on time, or limit the number you can send. Both ways I've described DO cost, but are pretty much instant.

Lo.

Clueless
12-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks for that Lohsing!

I had that on my old fone but lost it.
Now i can annoy people with email again!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 09:40 AM
So does that work with 027's then if its being sent from the vodafone site online perhaps?

My friends are basically on 021, and Im one of 3 on 027.

Now they sometimes run out of $$ (Prepay) and use the web to txt each other. Can it be used to send to 027's?

Lohsing
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
As in from 027 to email?? Or 027 to 021?? Not 100% sure... I think the two ways I've described are specifically for the 021 network... haven't ever needed to test with an 027 phone, but I would probably say it wouldn't work...

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Anything really, that can be done from the web, to get a txt to 027!

Lohsing
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Hmmm... AFAIK the ways I've talked about only refer to 021 and not 027... ditch that old school CDMA technology and hop onto a better network! ;)

Lo.