PDA

View Full Version : Netscape, Eudora and mIRC won't bring up dialer in WInXP

johndagg
10-02-2003, 03:12 PM
To name but three applicaitons that Windows XP doesn't allow to automatically bring up ther dialer when needed, are Netscape 7.01, Eudora all versions, and mIRC. The only independent software so far I have found that will get the dialer is Norton's Antivirus.

Netscape publish a so called fix on their sit that involves ticking a box in the advanced network part called Dialup Preferences but this does not work.

I know there is a proper fix which allows all internet software that needs to bring up the dialer without the use of IE 6 or without clicking on the ISP icon seperately, and that fix has to do with something being entered or altered (probably form manual to automatic) in one of the items in the Administration/services list. I did have the info and got one machine working ok with it but lost the info.

This problem only ocurs with Windows XP and seems to be deliberate policy in an attempt by Microsoft to encourage people to use only their software. Can any one please help with this info?

John

Kame
10-02-2003, 07:07 PM
If this isn't already tried in IE go to Internet Options, Connections, Set your Connection as default. And choose either Dial whenever network is not present or always dial my default. Test them out at least and see if that works.

Jim B
10-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Try this.

1. Right-click My Computer,
2. Select Manage, and then expand Services and Applications,
3. Select Services
4. Scroll down until you see an entry called Remote Access Auto Connection Manager.
5. Right-click it, select properties.
6. Where you see Manual (as drop-down menu), change it to Automatic.
7. Select OK
8. Reboot to lock in the settings.

johndagg
11-02-2003, 08:11 AM
To Kame,

Thanks for your input but your suggestion was already done.

To JimB, many thanks but this one doesn't do the trick either. I tried the auto connect first then also set the remote access connection manager below that one to automatic too in case that was the service. ... but no. Neither allow Netscape or Eudora to bring up the dialer. I rebooted the computer both times.

However you are on the right track JimB asone of the services when set to automatic from manual, allows these applications to be used properly on Windows XP and get the dialer.

Good old Microsoft, strikes again.

johndagg
12-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Surely there must be someone here inNew Zealand who has run into this problem of third party internet applicaitons not being able to bring up the dialer in XP? Can any one help here please?

johndagg

CYaBro
12-02-2003, 11:32 AM
What about deleting current (currant?) connection and then run inetwiz from Run box to make a new connection.

Jim B
12-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I thought from your previous comment you had it working.
Some more info I have found that might help.

Auto-Dialing Issues

Check your settings here: Network Connections/Advanced tab on menu at the top/Dial-Up Preferences/Enable Auto-Dial by Location/Uncheck all locations.Tick always ask before autodialing

To view the list of names and addresses recorded by AutoDial, type the following command at a command prompt:
rasautou-s

To delete a name or address entry from the list: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RASAutodial\A ddresses

You can delete any TCP/IP addresses that you see under this key. Note that AutoDial can use IP addresses, DNS fully qualified domain names (FQDN), and NetBIOS names.

MS info Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q309553)

To force automatic dialing when a program such as Netscape
requires a TCP/IP connection do the following:
In Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services, look for the following services:

* Remote Access Connection Manager
* Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
* Telephony

Set all those services to "automatic". Now you can even set "Never dial a connection" in Internet options, the dial out process is independant to this option. You will notice that the interface for dialing out is different than the standard IE interface.

johndagg
12-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Hello Jim B

Many thanks for you efforts. I was able to get Eudora to get the dialer by setting it up in the Eudora options. However I was stillunable to get netscape to bring up the dialer after applying all those fixes. BTW. ther is no addresses listed in that key you mentioned via regedit.

However, I needed to get the mIRC programme off my other (WINME) computer and so tried to transfer it via the network. Networkk wouldn't work and so had to troubleshoot that. Once I got that going and mIRC transferred, tothis machine, I installed it but it didn't bring up the dialer. I don't know if it was because I had not rebooted the machine or not as haven't tested it. But the act of repairing the network connection software, seems to have fixed the problem with Netscape as it now brings up a winsow with my two ISP choices and asks which one to connect to.

In conclusion, there is clear evidence that if oyu have a network card it has to be installed and set up properly as well as the other fixes.

Many thanks for you and the other guys replies. I really appreciate them. Yours Jim B was the missing link though.

Cheers,

John Dagg