PDA

View Full Version : USB Thumb Drives

pluto
10-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Saw in some articles as Thumb drives being relatively similar in Floppy drive prices which will be replaced in Dell systems. Where can you get these thumb drives over here? Saw one in DSE but doesnt mention about password protection.

Also Some drives are listed as password protected on Windows 2000 and Windows XP but not on Windows 98. Is this to indicate that password protected data can be read easily on Win 98 systems? How secure are these password protection and if these are bootable as well.
Some info on good ones available will be great.

Cheers

Gordon.
10-02-2003, 07:04 AM
In regards to Passwords, in Win2000/XP I understand it is possible to password either the drives and / or folders and you also have admin setups which should prevent fiddling but in 95/98/ME you can have a login password but you cannot protect your files as such. The Login password is not hard to locate and delete in 95-ME. If you wanted password protection of files at least in 95 through ME you would be better off with something like PGP or FolderGuard or creating a virtual encrypted drive with something like Scramdisk. If you use Office 2000 and I assume this would apply to other versions you can also passward protect files at least in Word.