PDA

View Full Version : network

porpora
09-02-2003, 12:42 AM
hi all,
having a few problems setting up a LAN on two computers. one laptop (XP) as the host and a desktop (ME) as client. Used the setup connection wizard, and it appeared to set up OK but can now only access the desktop (ME) from the laptop, but not the other way around. what things like firewall and logins can cause problems. managed to set up a very similar system (ME and XP) without a problem on two other computers.

Gorela
09-02-2003, 02:01 AM
The first question would be if you have already done the same set-up before, what did you do that's different ?:|

Does ME see the XP in the network neighbourhood? Do you have file sharing enabled on both computers? Does the ME have a log-in and is the ME user the same as the XP user?

Personally I wouldn't have thought the last was important as normally if you assign a password to a share it is only necessary to enter the password when accessing.

Hopefully someone else who actually uses XP will be able to give you a few more tips. There is an FAQ here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674) that discusses networking, but it is pre XP and XP is special ;)