PDA

View Full Version : Dsl Rta 220 router - Msn MEssenger file send not working

Kibito
09-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Hiya. I have a Dynalink Adsl rta 220 router modem. I'm in a network and my computers running Win2k pro. now I have msn messenger, and just after I added the router, I started being unable to send files through msn messenger. I'm 100% positive the router is behind this because I know it has something to do with setting up virtual servers but can anyone help with like what port msn messenger uses to send files and how to set it up?

cyberchuck
09-02-2003, 08:09 AM
The below is quoted from the Microsoft Website:
To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and outgoing TCP
connections to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This allows each sender to perform up to 10 simultaneous file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is open, users are only able to perform one file transfer at a time.

You may also be interested in looking at the MSN Messenger Support File (http://help.msn.com/EN_US/HelpWindow_msg.asp?INI=Messengerv50.ini&H_VER=1.7&SearchTerm=nogol&H_APP=MSN%20Messenger&Filter=!WinXP&S_Text=For%20help%20on%20MSN%20Messenger%2C%20clic k%20a%20topic%3A) in regards to File Transfers

Also - take a looksie at the Support Pages (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/support/support_router.htm) for your router

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
09-02-2003, 08:14 AM
The "Examples of packet filter usage" PDF seems to explain how to let you open up the ports

Big John
09-02-2003, 09:31 AM
> The below is quoted from the Microsoft Website:
> To enable file transfers, enable both incoming and
> outgoing TCP
> connections to the 6891-6900 range of TCP ports. This
> allows each sender to perform up to 10 simultaneous
> file transfers. Note that if only TCP port 6891 is
> open, users are only able to perform one file
> transfer at a time.

But note that it does say that if you are using NAT then file transfer will not work unless you are using UPNP on your PC. I think the RTA220 can do this but you may have to install it from your windows setup to get it working.

Kibito
09-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Ok so I know how to do that. But how do I open the ports both ways?

All I know is how to go to virtual server in the modems config centre and input my ip and the port. How do I allow ports incoming and outgoing?

cyberchuck
09-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Contact Tech Support (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/support/email_support_nz.htm) ?:|
The Setting Up Pinholes PDF explains about virtual servers - apart from that - I'm lost :_|
Sorry

CyberChuck

Kame
09-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I posted this problem last year. I tried Pinholing on my RTA020 router and it still wouldn't work... This was Windows Messenger Version 4.7. I upgraded to MSN Messenger 5.0 when it came out and using that version file transfers started working without needing to set pinholes.

Kibito
09-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Oh God. NOt MSn 5. God... The day has come... I dont want Msn 5 because then I can't use Msn plus. Maaaan. Stink... But thanks a lot for telling me. If I get desparate, I'll go that way.

Kame
09-02-2003, 05:35 PM
If you are running XP it's possible to keep both Windows and MSN Messenger.

You'll just have to realise that sending files you'll need to switch to MSN Msnger 5 (easy to remember when it tells you it could send it) but both can recieve files.

Kibito
09-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Na its all good. I got msn 5 and I got the extension which was finally out. So thats cool. Um, my last problem. I wanna set up a game server every now and then, just like for half and hour sort of thing so every now and then me and my friends can play privately, and um, after switching to dsl router, it doesnt work.

The game uses port 28070 so I went to dynalink rta 220 settings, virtual server, and created a virtual server inputting that port in the 2 port bits and my network ip that I gave myself in the ip address bit under internal host. Sept, even when I make a server, I still cant see it!!!!

Big John
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
The person who is trying to connect to your server must use your IP that is assigned by the ISP. You can find that under the info in the modem. Tell them this IP address and they should be able to connect.

However the ISP may change this IP address at any stage so if it suddenly stops working check the IP address again.