PDA

View Full Version : Dell to Scrap Floppy Drives

Steve_L
08-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Read all about it.... the end is nigh for floppy disk drives:

The URL is:
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/02/07/dell.floppydisks.reut/index.html (]Click Here http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/02/07/dell.floppydisks.reut/index.html[/url)

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Steve_L
08-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Hmmmnnnn, let me try that URL again:

Click Here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/02/07/dell.floppydisks.reut/index.html)

segfault
08-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Good on them I say. Haven't used a floppy in ages and I certainly don't intend to. I don't even put floppy drives in my new computers now.

Terry Porritt
08-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Cant understand how anyone cannot use their floppy drive, using mine ALL the time, but maybe thats because I live in a time warp :)

mikebartnz
08-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Years ago I bought an LS120 and am very surprised it did not take off as it could read and write to a standard floppy(at 5 times the speed) as well as the LS120 which held as you can guess 120mb. In my view it was actually a better product than the Zip drive but maybe it is similar to the Beta versus the VHS format wars where Beta was actually a better product.
I am not at all surprised that Dell are planning on discontinuing the use of the floppy as now you can boot from a CD Rom there seems no point.

Millsie
08-02-2003, 09:57 PM
The Sony Beta video probably taught Sony a very valuable lesson in marketing, and made them the company they are today

Bazza
08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Well, I would not want to be without a floppy drive.

Until now, it has been an universal means of transferring files. But times change, and files get bigger.

Spare a thought for oldies like many of us. My first experience of computers was in about 1984, when in our pharmacy, we got the latest, best system...It was a dos system, with a 10MB HDD, & 360KB 5.25 floppy. Wow, great stuff..only cost about $15000, but it was wonderful. Printed the medicine labels, & saved patients details & history.

But every day we had to do a backup..Needed 3 floppies, and the weekly backup needed about 10 floppies.

The amazing thing is that with only a 10MB HDD, it contained all the prescription history & patient details for about 20,000 prescriptions for one year. The archive was a pain. Took 2 days and very many floppies.

So you see, the 1.4MB floppy, for me, is a great leap from the older 360KB one..Lets keep it for now.

Steve_L
08-02-2003, 10:34 PM
The SUBJECT line that I put in the post that started this thread is misleading. Dell is not intending to scrap FD's altogether, at least not for now and not in the near future. It is only for the high end computers, because they figure that such users will have other means of data saving and transfer. Interestingly, the article also states that Apple did away with FD's 2 or 3 years ago. Really? News to me, but then I am not using Macs much (a friend has one that is 3 or 4 years old).

I use floppies to transfer document and zipped files from my desktop to my work computer, and to my wife's laptop, and vice-versa. Big chunks of data get a CD-R, but for the odd bit, floppies are handy.

simonc
09-02-2003, 11:01 AM
My laptop does not have a floppy drive but shipped with a 32 meg flash USB memory stick. I find it just as easy to use as everyone I know has a USB port and for the bigger files, I use a LAN to my desktop and burn from there. When was the last time you used a floppy?

caffy
09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
I use both Floppy Disks and CDs.

If I need to take some MS Word Documents to school, or whatever, I don't see the point in burning those little documents onto a CD that can hold 700MB of data, its a waste of space.

Still - CDs are cheap, I know, but Floppy disks are probably more useful for small files, taking them to school etc, and you can delete them off the floppy disk after use.

CDs, for me, are usefull for Powerpoint presentations, photos etc....

Jim B
09-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Apple discontinued the floppy with the introduction of the first iMac in 1998
You can add a usb floppy drive if you need it.

Alasta
09-02-2003, 05:44 PM
My iBook has no floppy, and I don't miss it at all. However, if I had the cheaper model with no CD writer, then it would probably be a pain.

tedheath
09-02-2003, 08:05 PM
You cant beat a floppy for quickly backing up an important file.
I have a cd writer thingy but it is a pain in the arse setting it up to copy data etc.
I have still not got over the trauma of not being able to have a true floppy (5 1/4in) in my computer they were cool.

tedheath

Steve Askew
09-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I noticed when I was in stationary warehouse Petone last weekend they had a computer combo deal ,scanner ,printer & desk for about $1300 & it had no floppy.
I thought it was another way to keep price down.

Cheers Steve

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2003, 10:03 PM
..Personally I use CD's, fast enough with burn times, so much easier.. USB drive would be my next option though :-)

mikebartnz
10-02-2003, 12:51 AM
OK it probably does keep the prce down but they are only about $30 so as against the perception of a floppy is it a lot of money.