PDA

View Full Version : Stencil like font required. What and from where?

learner
07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Hi folks,
I need a font that looks like a stencil.It is to be used in Word 2000 and publisher. The font needs capitals that consist of an outline and could be coloured in with a pencil. Can anyone please suggest a suitable font and
mention the source. Also a clue about how to install it would be a help.

Thanks, Learner

Robin S_
07-02-2003, 10:18 PM
The MS Stencil font was a solid black font with letters formed in the style of those used on stencilling plates. 2 outline fonts are Blocky and Hero from Rissfonts. Their name is derived (if I remember correctly) from Rhode Island Software and I think their URL is www.risoft.com (it may have 2s's). Other outline fonts are Colonna MT, Desdemona, Gill Sans MT Shadow and Old Style Bold Outline. I think all are MS fonts and can probably be downloaded from there. Otherwise search for them with Vivisimo or Google.

learner
09-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Thank you Robin S for your detailed and helpful reply. I could not locate Rissfonts. I followed through on the names of the fonts you mentioned and
found Gill Sans MT shadow to be the most likely one but the shadow is a little heavy. Since my initial query I have found the outline font I want -it is actually the first standard style in MS Word Art but perhaps it is more of a shape than a font and I guess it could be transfered to Publisher
but maybe not as an editable item.
Your suggestions resulted in me installing a few outline fonts from my Coral
Draw 9 cd Windows 2000 so although I don't have the exact font I want in my
fonts list I now have some outline fonts and now know that I can use the outline (font) Style I was looking for in Word with Word art at least.
Special thanks

Robin S_
09-02-2003, 07:42 PM
I was a bit astray with my info about Rissoft. The proper name of the outfit is Rhode Island Soft Systems and their URL is http://risoftsystems.com . I haven't visited the site recently but they used to put out 3 free font sample packs called Riss Font Packs 1 - 3. These may no longer be available or their contents may have changed. The 2 fonts I mentioned came from this set. If you have trouble tracking them down see if the site has a search facility and try searching for the individual font names.

HTH