PDA

View Full Version : Default Directories: maybe I'm not so smart after all.

Billy T
07-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Team

With the benefit of excellent F1 advice, I sorted my Metapad problem then got the bit between my teeth and decided to change the defaults for some other programs. Most worked OK with entry of the desired target directory in the shortcut properties being all that was needed.

The following programs refuse to shift from their present default and I can't find anything in their help files etc to sort them out.

Publisher 98 (currently defaulting to MSWorks/Documents of all places)

Irfanview (an obscure directory in my email archive)

MSPaint (My Documents)

Kodak Imaging (My Documents)

In each case the target directory has been set to the preferred default.

Any ideas please? While I wait for divine guidance, I am going to temporarily rename some of the present default directories and see what the program does then!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
07-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Well, Irfanview immediately defaulted to "My Documents" ?:|

Billy 8-{)

Robin S_
07-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Do some of these programmes have their own internal settings for default directory? Word, for instance, has (or used to have) a settings tab under Tools, Options, File Locations or something like that.

parry
08-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Hi, Robins correct that some programs have a setting within the program to indicate default save directory amongst other things. Unless your program has a setting then i think you are stuffed. Im not aware of a generic registry tweak that can alter the default save as folder.

My understandung is that some programs (like MSPaint) look for wherever some standard folders are located and always save there - ie My Documents or My Pictures etc. You can use TweakUI (My Computer tab, special folders) to amend the internal pointers to these folders so you can amend the folder name & path to something else. This of course effects all programs not just MSPaint etc so you may not want to do this.

Graham L
08-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Programmes with directory names compiled in ?:| I have dealt with such things in the past. B-) Use nu to edit the object code. (Not the pirate version of Nortons' ... ]:) )

Billy T
08-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Whoa there Graham

I'll need a bit more info from you before I think about editing files to achieve this. I'm quite used to hacking the odd reference inside program files to change defaults etc but I am not familiar with what you mean by object code.

Which NU feature are you suggesting for this too? I have done all my editing in Xtree/Ztree, either in Hex or plain text so I haven't explored any editing features in NU.

Some KISS based advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

BTW, I've thoroughly searched all of the relevant Help files and menu items for these recalcitrant programs, and spent an hour or three on Google, but turned up nothing.

As another thought, I'm going to rename the My Documents folder (which already has a different name because I thought MD was just a little too twee) and see what those programs do about it when they can't find MD.

Graham L
08-02-2003, 02:55 PM
I was sort of joking. :D But I have done it ... with the old DOS nu, It was simple ... just <choose> <file>, <search> for the string you want to change, <examine/edit> and <tab> to the string display, and change the string. It's "common sense" (where have I heard that?) --- just make sure that the length doesn't change (spaces come in handy, and don't use longer strings). Use <Enter> to get out of that and <write> the sector out as normal. I suppose the new versions would work much the same. Of course, this is done to a copy of the file. ;-)

In the early days of using DOS, my recovery boot floppy displayed ".... Whew" instead of "Loading MSDOS".

Billy T
08-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Okay Graham

I'm with you now and we are talking the same language. My boot disks don't say "Starting MS Dos" anymore either.

Any suggestions as to which file might hold the default directory details as I don't want to search forever.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
08-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Dunno. I'm not a Windows person. But I'd start with the .exe file. What is installed for this programme? Notepad is just the .exe file, isn't it, and I suppose it uses a few .dll s from the Windows bloatheap.